Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 28 Chevy Dry Lakes Roadster: A Build Journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeteFromTexas, May 8, 2011.

1. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I just picked up this 28 Chevy sports coupe frame and quarters last week. Two days later I ran across this earlier Chevy roadster cowl and windshield frame. I bought it on the spot.

Thanks to David Atkins from Lee's Summit, Mo for bringing it to me.

Over the last year or so I have been watching Jimmy B build his Chuck Spurgin inspired 25 Chevy roadster. See it here. I fell in love with the Chucks 15a car. It speaks to me like no other hot rod ever has.

So here is the plan. This is a father son project for me and my son Axl. Using the parts you see here I am going to build an early lakes style car inspired by The Chuck Spurgin 15a Roadster. It will be a loose late 40's period car. AND it is on a budget. I am hoping to build it for under 10k but I am trying to keep it closer to 5 or 6 thousand. All parts will be swap meet finds. I'm really not wanting to use any new parts at all.

The parts list will be as follows:

25/26 Chevy cowl--- $150
    28 Chevy frame and quarters---$300
    1940 Ford rear, bones and brakes---$100
    Column shift 3 speed trans---FREE
    35 Ford front suspension and bones---$150
    35 Ford wire wheels W/ black wall tires---$100
    Model A rear crossmember and spring---FREE
    Early Chevy inline 6--- FREE so far, needs rebuild
    2 Stromberg BXOV-2 Cargs on homemade mafifold---FREE
    F1 column and steering box---$40
    F1 pedals---$50
    Stewart Warner Soutwinds heater (For those cold days)---$20
    39 ford standard gauges---$20

Total spent so far--- $935.00

Here are some of the modifications:
    Channeled body
    Canvas tonneau cover
    full belly pan
    custom front nose

This all I have right now.

It will be a very long build. I'm having to learn patience to get this and my 53 Chevy done, as well as raising a family and working full time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
    volvobrynk likes this.
  2. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

3. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

4. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Here is my inspiration

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I believe the cowl is a 25/26. Not really sure. but I'm going to cut the belt line out of the quarters and alter the opening to match. Should be fun. The quarters have almost no rust through. It's going to be a fun build. Especially when it comes to building the belly pan!!!!

6. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks like a fun project, I am still hunting a frame like that for one of my projects.

8. bct

bct

super sweet!

9. Cool Project, I look forward to watching it progress. I can totally understand the effect the Spurgin/Giovanine roadster has on you :D If I can be of any assistance let me know, I would be happy to help.

Cowl is a '26. '25 firewalls had a big hole for the horn on the right side, '25s also have a X bead in the middle and another following the the cowl line.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. I was wondering how long it would take for you to see this :).

11. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Thanks Jimmy, Lots of questions coming real soon!

I scrapped the idea of 16 inch wheels, I'll just be running 15's. Also just scored a set of early Guide headlights and a F1 steering setup. Parts are coming together QUICK for this thing!!!

12. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I'm looking for some technical blueprints for 26 and 28 Chevys. Frame dementions, and body measurements. Help would be appreciated.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Another Chevy? Excellent.:D

14. Little Terry

Little Terry

Maybe not exactly what you are after, but though you may not have seen this....

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/2842.htm

No diagrams, but some dimensions for '28 Chevys.

Hope it helps,

Mark.

15. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That helps Terry. Not exactly what I'm after but it's a good start! Thanks!

16. Kume

Kume

What dimensions are you specifically after? I have a complete 25 and 26 roadsters in bits I can take measurmenst off & am sure Jimmy and co can help with specific measurements. I don't think Ive ever seen scale drawings of mid 20s chevs body chassis or otherwise. There are changes to chassis dimensions for each year 25-28. 25 and 26 are identical in side rail profile but with cast engine cross member, 27 has a higher arch over the back axle and 28 of course is 4 inchs longer and has more in common with a 29 than a 27. Cowl height is same for 25-27 but several inches higher for 28. etc etc.

Kume

17. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Picked up some more parts last night. Some for free!!

Got a complete (minus the spring) 40 Ford rear, complete 35 Ford frontend, a set of 41-48 Backing plates, 5 1935 Ford wire wheels with new tires, a free Model A rear crossmember and spring, an F1 Steering box and column and set of F1 pedals.

I'm going to keep a detailed account posted of how much money is spent and on what. It will be kept in the opening post. I'm really wanting to keep this build around 5 thousand. It will probably be more but not much I hope!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
    volvobrynk likes this.
  18. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I have five, The Lester Tire Company, 6.00x16 Whitewall, tube type, Bias Ply tires that I'd like to trade. These have never been on the road but have been sitting for a few years. Still have the nobbies on them. They are a little dry but not bad.

I need two 6.50x16 and two 5.00x16 BLACKWALL bias plys.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT CONDITION. I just need these for mock up on my roadster. They can be bald for all I care. Just as long as I can put a tube in them and roll it around.

A straight trade would be awesome in the east Texas or Dallas area. I really don't want to drive far or pay for shipping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This is going to be awesome!!! Love the Chevy and the Inline thread weaving it's way through the build. I tried to get my father in law to put an inline in his 31 Chevy coupe but I think he's going 283 instead.

That's pretty awesome man, it's going to be killer!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Ok so after some time working on my new privacy fence I took a little time and worked on the roadster.

I got the frame stripped of all the parts and brackets I'm not going to use. Plus removed the fenders and running boards from the rear quarters.

After some measuring I decided to go with a 108 inch wheel base. I think it fits the car well.

That's about all till I can get my hands on a front crossmember. Looking for someting like one of these new model a crossmembers but I really want something old. The hunt continues...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I'm pretty happy with the perfortions of the wheelbase. Leaning the tires up to the frame at taking a step back really put it into perspective. Now I have some idea of where my crossmembers will go.

In these pictures the front wheels look a little far forward but once the nose and grille are in the car it will look proportional.

As soon as it's a roller I can get it inside and start the build...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Pete

Pete

Lookin' good, I like them old chev's.

Pete-

23. Kume

Kume

no problem

happy to help

24. ill be watchin ths thread closely, im buildin a '27 chev roadster (if i can find some quarters for a reasonable price) with a desoto 251 flathead six. and ford front and rear ends.

25. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Changed my mind on the front crossmember. The 35 front spring wont work with the model a. It uses a 1 3/4 spring and the 35 spring is 2 1/4. Looking for a 35-40 front crossmsmber to modify.

26. Pete

Pete

Whats the scoop with the car??? Any current build pics???

27. Bump- any progress 235?

28. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Hope to see more of this build. Love the roadsters.

29. Ghost28

Ghost28

Yeah. It's been a year any new build info?