Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Trials and Tribulations Of The GNRS: 2011

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

You are right on all accounts Ryan....me and the wife had a great time there. We probably sat and stared at the "Blue Danube" for hours. Alex thanks again for a wonderful show.

3. McFly

McFly

GNRS...A show not to be missed. Time for an intervention.

4. 60'coupe

60'coupe

This is exactly how I felt after I saw some pics from Jim A:
    1. Who knew a pinkish purple (lavender?) car could be so cool? Before the show, I looked at the shots of the car on the HAMB and was only mildly interested. I mean, I’m Mr. Black car… How could I dig a t-roadster in girly colors?
    And then I saw it in person. That little car took my breath away. It was like a toy. No, it was like a piece of candy just waiting to be picked up and enjoyed. I fell for it right away. Gorgeous.

60'

5. If they hang you out in Denver too long we are only 6 hours north!

6. I better get my fix of the GNRS ! The Take Out T congrats to Russ and the whole crew ! Ryan , sorry to hear your stuck.. Been there with them myself.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you to all the lucky people that went there and posted photos for all of us that wished were were there.

8. NumbNutz

NumbNutz

Well said Ryan. My feet still are still throbbing, my stomach is still in knots from the crappy overpriced food, my wallets much thinner, my butt hurts from the 6 hour drive back home to Phoenix.
    All that eventually goes away.
    But the memories, the friends you meet last forever.
    For me the highlight was getting my Customs Now and Then Plaque autographed by all the legends. WARNING GNRS HEROIN IS HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!!

9. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

thanks Ryan for the HAMB, I was unable to make the show in person.But this site brought to me .thank you all you HAMBers for the pics.GaryB

10. Congratulations, to all the cars and their builder's/owner's that were in this competition for the "Coveted Jalopy Journal, Most Beautiful Roadster Award", they were all top notch. I'm a "Black Car" kind of guy too, but that "Take Out T", just takes detailed build to a new level, way to go Russ and the whole Inland Emperors crew. You guy's also deserve an extra award for the "Craziest, Most Entertaining Competitors" at the show.;):eek:

11. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

I just rolled in after a day of getting rained on under the Acme pop-up. Tired but satisfied. The cars in those two buildings were incredible.

It is always good to see my friends from far (and near) and seems like their is a family that has formed around the hobby and events like these.

Thanks Ryan for letting me make the trophy again; it is always fun to do. Great to se al y'all from Texas this weekend.

Hope you make it home in one piece.

John

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Congrats to all the nominees and most of all the Winner of the TJJ award!!! Thanks for the coverage and to Ryan for providing a real competition where the power is put into the hands of us!

The Take Out T is one of the coolest cars to come out in a while. And while I like low key cars for myslef, you cannot deny that the Take Out T didn't exemplify what the GNRS is and has been for over 50 years! It's first rate, jaw dropping and best of all....a real fucking hot rod that was competing for the big trophy as well as the most important one the TJJ award. Wish I could have seen it in person but I'm sure I'll see it in Detroit.

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

LOL Axle, Ryan said "Pavillion".

Seriously both cars are stunning and both builders should be very proud of themselves.

I'm typing this on my no HAMB app Droid sitting at LAX waiting for my flight home of which I land at 5:30am and will be sitting at my desk at work at 8am!:D

14. striper

striper

Well, that's all good and well Ryan. But the only part I can confirm first hand from this side of the planet is that United Airlines absolutely suck.

Turned up at Des Moines for an 11.30 flight at around 9.30 only to be virtually abused for missing our 8 am flight that they changed us to but didn't bother to tell anyone. 24 hrs later we got a flight....2 kids in tow.

15. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Your description of the GNRS is both eloquent and pointed. The GNRS will elate you and deflate you all in the space of a few hours. But the elated part is very well worth the trouble. The airline part is just a symptom of the piss poor state of American business in general, I hope you get home without too much hassle.

16. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I still can't believe Steve's '32 Roadster stayed as close in the voting as it did! I'm pretty competive by nature, so I'd be lying if I said I didn't care if we won or not. But, out of all the cars at the show that could have come in ahead of us, I can't think of a more deserving winner than Russ' T.

I think he had one of the most bitchin' AMBR contenders in years, and I think that all of the guys in thee Inland Emperors are heroes for bringing their A game.

Thanks to everyone that voted for the Texas Playboy, and congrats to Russ and the Take-out T! Oh, and happy birthday!

-Brian

17. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Also, Jeffrey James...I think it's safe to retire your purple cheerleader outfit for a few days.

Just fuckin' with ya. :)

18. PHEW...
    this is the only the second year in the last 6 that i haven't had participant creds. last year it was raining so it was super mellow.... suffice it to say i'm entering a car one way or the other...

this year.... what a zoo... from the 'drive-in' parking to the hordes of lookie-loos to the crowd at the legends of customizing booth...

my observations:
    $20k will buy you a HUGE chunk of "greaser alley" and they don't take kindly to the asking of favors regarding the space around their 'display'

suede palace this year... not sure how i felt. it seemed like it lacked its usual flow. there seemed to be a kink in the continuum. but there were some cool cars in there.

Axle's customs building was EPIC!!! thanks to everyone involved!

historically the last building out by the the museum has some of the raddest stuff in the entire show.

i still dont care about mini trucks, but the 56 vw 'vert was to die for with firestone pie crust whites!

lifestyles car club have the finest lowriders on the planet.

don't park if you dont want people touching your freshly detailed gloss black paint.

The Take Out T... Game Over. Pedro Panda for President!

Coby is a ruler.
    Dan Collins is a super humble, genuinely nice guy.
    Chris Casny is a sarcastic genius at 9:30 am.
    Von Franco is a real friendly dog lover.
    Bob Bleed was unexpectedly reserved when i met him.
    John Mearns is a hard working mellow dude who's not afraid to park his 36 in public.
    Denich just went up one notch on the hero list, and he knows what a plastic cup is good for.
    Denise rules.
    Brock will make sure we get primo parking.

This show, despite its insanity will live forever as a must attend EVERY year.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  19. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Bass the roadster is amazingly cool...

20. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

It reminded me of the Hot Wheels Hot Heap I had when I was a kid. Mine was purple too.

21. Worth the sore feet. Totally. I embarrassed Alex by hugging him for the amazing Bldg. 9 custom show. This is one of the shows where I always miss seeing people I dig and always run into pals I haven't seen in a while. I stood next to the Herb Ogden Buick and felt as giddy as a school girl. That car is a great inspiration and Kurt McCormick is a wonderful caretaker of this beauty. The Blue Danube! Wow. Buddy Alcorn's Merc. Writers crap, or the threat of, makes me stop listing all the customs there.

Regrets? Didn't meet Rik Hoving. Or Janne Kutja. Didn't do the drive in deal. Not much to bitch about, huh?

22. mgbtc

mgbtc

We spent all day Saturday, from 5:30 am when they decided that the "drive in's" had to stage in another parking lot, until 5:30pm when we had finally viewed everything there was to enjoy! A good show despite the Fairplex. Next year, look us up, we bring coolers. Don't tell anyone!

23. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

Ryan, you are right on every account. I love the Suede Palace, and that little purple, lavender T drew me in like no other. Great Show, thank you Alex.

No I pray for travel mercies for you Ryan. Get home safe.

Semper Fidelis

24. One Finger John

One Finger John

I went Friday and the crowds weren't that bad. Three of us went and one was always separated and lost. There seemed to be this drive to see EVERYTHING that burned out after 4 hours. Overpriced beer and food I guess are normal. But the impression I was left with was a complete overdose of perfection. Perfect cars, perfect engines, perfect suspensions, perfect upholstery, perfect paint, perfect, perfect, perfect!

And the only hot chick I saw all of Friday was selling jerky next to one of the halls. Jerky wasn't perfect. It was O.K.

John

25. KaddyKimber

KaddyKimber
    from Denver, CO

It really is like heroin. This gearhead pinup was there everyday, and even competed in the trophy girl contest. I walked through the buildings in heels each day! The highlight for me was getting to sit in a few of the cars in building 9 and watching those historic customs start up and leave tonight. I can't move from where I'm sitting, I'm so worn out, but I'm still smiling

26. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

1000 miles round trip, 637 pictures, nasty gas from a Pinks chilli cheeze dog, great saturday weather, a free burger at Bobs in Downey, sore feet & back, a picture with Mitzi, and a great time looking at some of the finest cars in the country with my car buddies! It'll take me a week of work to come down from this heroin trip!! :eek:

27. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

There needs to be a booth where cute Geisha girls offer drinks and foot rubs. Millions could be made!

28. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I still never got to meet you Ryan! I was there every day.

Kimber you looked great up there, you had the best hair & smile for sure.

How about them shoulders?!? Standing, and pointing, and neck craning, really wears me out.

29. KaddyKimber

KaddyKimber
    from Denver, CO

Thanks! I appreciate it! It was tough standing next to the California veterans up there. I'm friends with a couple of the girls, but living in Colorado just doesn't prepare you for the gnrs crowd.

30. That's hilarious!

Bass' Texas Playboy is one bad ass hot rod it's too bad the voting didn't end in a tie, because I would have love to been a part of the Texas Playboy vs. Team Take Out tug-a-war for the trophy.:D

Russ and the rest of the crew just started in on their 24 hour, 2,000 mile straight-through drive back to Spokane, while I'm sitting here typing in the hotel lobby waiting for my flight out at 6:30am, so on behalf of the club I'd like to give a huge thank you to Ryan & Acme Speed Shop for the beautiful trophy and to everyone who logged on and voted for the Take Out T over the weekend.