Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Lynwood and Llyod Hardy, Bardahl Bug

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blacktopbutcher, Oct 25, 2010.

1. blacktopbutcher

blacktopbutcher
    from Rindge, NH

I was doing some family research and one of my aunts started telling me that some of my Uncles where into drag racing and old cars. My Uncles are Norman Hardy, Lloyd Hardy, and Lynwood Hardy. She told me that they ran a garage in Lancaster MA which most of my family resides in and had a lot of cars. One thing that caught my attention was she said that Lloyd and Lynwood "invented" as she put it the Bardahl Bug. Does anyone have anymore info on this by chance. You know how family info gets muddy as it is handed down generation to generation. She also mentioned they had something to do with manufacturing dune buggies. You know how allot of old ladies think that hot rods are dune buggies so it makes me wonder.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  2. blacktopbutcher

blacktopbutcher
    from Rindge, NH

Here are some pics My aunt sent me.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. racemad55

racemad55

The "Bardahl Bug" that I remember seeing at So. Glens Falls dragway was a vw flatnose pickup painted yellow with hemi power made to do wheelstands,perhaps "Bucksnort" will chime in !

4. racemad55

racemad55

Guess I type to slow !

5. blacktopbutcher

blacktopbutcher
    from Rindge, NH

I remember my Uncle Vinnie Hardy had a bunch of race cars but I was so young I can't remember that much about them.

6. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Dug out a few from my scrapbook.
    June 19,1966 at South Glens Falls Dragway.
    Think Joe Vanni from Eastern Drag News was helping out with promoting,not sure.

Miss Bardahl with Lynwood
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe your family can recognize some folk in this shot.
    [​IMG]

7. blacktopbutcher

blacktopbutcher
    from Rindge, NH

I will pass the pictures on to my aunt to see if she recognize anyone.

Still have no idea what she ment about the dune buggies.

8. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Don't know about dune buggies.They could have been hot rods:).
    Richard Hutchins raced a VW wheelstander,don't know who came first.

9. blacktopbutcher

blacktopbutcher
    from Rindge, NH

That was my thought when she said dune buggies. I am going to meet with them soon and see if I can find out more info or get some pictures from them.

10. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Ach Der Leaper! Steve, that's Cool!!

11. blacktopbutcher;
    i spent a lot of time as a kid at our local track.
    Funny you should mention the "bug" (1966)..
    Here is a post card type picture they used to give to the kids.

Enjoy;
    Rick

Attached Files:

12. flintstonecharger

flintstonecharger
    from Mass.

Some pics.from testing Bardahl Bug at Worcester Airport,somewhere I have a good magazine article on the bug,will look for it,later, SteveO

Attached Files:

13. During this time in history Bardahl owned of sponsored an Unlimited Hydroplane, Indy race car, Unlimited racing airplane and assorted drag and desert racers along with a few other things. I'm thinking that your uncles went over to Norwood Mass. the East coast headquarters for Bardahl products that's only forty three miles away and got sponsored.
    If you had something different in that time in history Ollie Bardahl as big a prick as he was might sponsor a guy. It's to bad that the history of your uncles drag car was lost to time.
    Johnny Sweet
    Miss Bardahl U-40 1976-1983

14. tonbar

tonbar

So I’m going to bump this even though it’s been 6 years because I have some info here for you.

The Bardahl Bug was owned by Joe Vanni who was a Providence RI schoolteacher and loved Chrysler products. He saw the ‘Little Red Wagon’ and liked the idea and came up with the idea to put a Chrysler Hemi in a VW pickup. Joe was afraid to drive it so he had Charlie Holmes aka “Leadfoot” Charlie from Providence RI drive it. Charlie used to roll it over for fun. My grandfather was a friend of Charlie’s and the Bug was worked on frequently at my greatgrandfather’s shop Russo Autobody in Cranston RI. He’s not sure who put it together originally and he suspects it was a shop in MA, which could be your families garage. He’s also not sure what happened to it in the end, but suspects Charlie rolled it over and Joe just decided at that point to junk it. Russo Autobody is still open and my Uncle Bobby (a few years younger than my grandfather) used to go out with them all the time. If you want more information feel free to reach out.

Some last bits I found out. After a fight between Joe and Bardahl it was renamed the Hemi Bug. It could run the quarter mile at a top speed of 120mph on the rear wheels. He used to steer it with two levers on the rear brakes by slowing down one wheel or another to turn (incidentally why it was so easy to flip). And there was a hole in the floor that Charlie used to see the road because obviously being up you couldn’t see the strip. With the hole you could see right in front of you but really no further because the line of site

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Lah

Lah

My Uncle Linwood built the bug and raced it. My dad helped too.
    Regarding The Dune buggy, The Frame was made in his old fiberglass shop in Lancaster MA. Linwood is still alive.

chryslerfan55 likes this.