Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eastern Drag News..one of the best drag rags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bucksnort, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

[​IMG]

I figured this should get it's own thread.Started on Drag Cars in Motion but it would be easier to post and keep track of it on it's own.Us East coast guys will remember this paper.Over the winter I spent a bunch of time scanning the collection that Don from Ol 55/East Coast Chevy lent Rick/Racemad and me.

Some great stuff here.Did not scan every page,I'd still be at it,but I got a lot.Starts in late 63 and goes through late 65.I have some later ones that if I can find will post also.You guys with some stash feel free to pile on.

Did all the covers so lets start with the first one that Don had.It is Vol.2 #21 Aug 16 '63.Early factory wars,take me back.

This should be fun.

2. the shadow

the shadow

notice the cool lyndwood dragster cartoon at the top!!!

3. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

[​IMG]

The 2nd page I scanned featured Capitol Raceway.A hotbed for sure.Got Bud Faubel,Vern Rowley also AA/D of Jim Lee,I assume of Jim and Allison fame with a blown Olds.Mousie Brown is mentioned,I think I got some pix of him coming up.Might have to zoom up a bit to read the text easier cause we getting to be old farts.

4. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

This is the last page from this issue Aug 16'63.Cecil County,a legendary track.Harold Ramsy,Bob Harrop,Charlie Seabrook.I knew these names better back then than any of the subjects the nuns tried to stuff in my brain.In fact I lost a few drag News and car books to the penquins.
    [​IMG]

5. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Oh yeah,this was titled Mid-Eastern Drag News back then.It changed later by dropping the Mid and we will get into that.

6. Hi Bucksnort,
    I am currently looking for articles/history on Louie Lang from Quakertown, Pa.! He ran the "Hydro Phobia"/"Black Satin" '32 Chevy sedan and went on to race the "Black Satin" '40 Willys Coupe sponsored by Coopers Speed Shop of Allentown, Pa....Please let me know if you have anything on Louie Lang in your scans/archives! Thank you! Sincerely, John :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  7. guffey

guffey

If I remember correctly it started as Maryland -Virginia drag news then Mid-Eastern Drag news then Eastern Drag News and then Drag Times. maybe someone can clear the changes up

8. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

What years did he run? That would help me keep an eye out for him.Glad to help if I can.

9. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Yep,I have heard the same.Scanned the pages where they changed name and went to start SSDI.That will be coming up.They dropped the mid when they started to cover the northeast/New England area also.

10. killer! i got a copy of this a couple years back from someone....with my grandparent's Jim and Alison's gas car before they went on to fuel...Top Eliminator that day too! Capitol was the place to be.. thanks for postin...

TH

11. Louie Lang raced '63-'70? Hope it helps you out! :)....John

12. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

13. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

OK,will check for him as I post.Nice easy name to remember.

14. Race Artist

Race Artist

Great start! Glad to see that you started a new thread! This has the potential to become a great source for drag racing historical researchh.
    Joel

15. Sure eastcoast57.I did think of you when I posted that.I have read your threads.Was gonna send you a pm about it.You found it quick.Was always a fan of your grandfolk.Remember back in mid 70's on vacation in Fla,heard radio ad for the Lees vs. Big Daddy at Bradenton.Zoom,I was there.Think I got some pix but I got boxes full.Just got to find them.

Bob[/QUOTE]

That would be killer.... shoot me a pm sometime if you got some to share....

TH

16. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Wickedjohn

I got to looking through my borrowed photos and came across a couple shots you might like. I don't know where they were taken or even who took them. Hope you like em...................:D

Attached Files:

17. Itownrodder,
    Wow! I really appreciate you posting pics of Louie Lang's "Hydro Phobia" '32 Chevy! Great shots and A Big thanks to you! :) Sincerely, John

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd like to know the history of the magazine. I have a few issues from the early 1960's with results for the Lyndwood rail I'm restoring. Here is a May 21, 1965 issue with a name change DRAG TIMES and Eastern DRAG NEWS. Then an April 22, 1966 issue of DRAG TIMES,, Formerly Eastern Drag News

Attached Files:

19. schwinn1

schwinn1

Hey Bucksnort thanks for starting a great thread as a kid in the late 60's i would go to the news stand and pick up a weekly copy of Drag Times and read it from front to back then bug the hell out of my parents to take me to Aquasco or Capitol on sunday man what a great era. Well about 20 years ago I stumbled across a couple of issues of Drag Times packed away at my parents house and the rest is history I've been collecting them ever since. Here are a couple I'd like to share, the one on the left is a patch for a jacket and the other is a decal. Thanks again for starting this thread.

Schwinn1(Mike)

20. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

How's that,WICKEDJOHN? 5 hours and you got a response.The HAMB is great.

21. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

From what I got the issue of May 14'65 was the first issue under the combined name.I think the papers combined for awhile and used both names.The June 11'65 issue was back to only Eastern Drag News.It did change to Drag Times in 66.

22. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Beauty,wish I had those.It must have been cool to be able to go to Capitol,Aquasco on a regular basis.

23. guffey

guffey

It seems to coincide with SSand DI's development a little and Drag Times evolves in to a Newspaper format like Drag News by Doris Herbert (West Coast) Somebody probably can explain what happened

24. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Monk Reynolds who was,I think editor of EDN,did leave in 64 to start up SSDI

25. guffey

guffey

I thought I would include these, They are as hard to find as EDN.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  26. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Wow,those are killer.I remember 1320 News.Looks like the Yankee Peddlar on the cover.Don't remember the rest.

27. guffey

guffey

That is Vol1 no1 1320 news It was started by Joe Vanni who worked for Eastern Drag News as a correspondent. He also owned the Bardahl Bug wheelstander driven at one point by "Leadfoot" Charlie Holmes.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  28. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Yes,Joe Vanni.He was New England rep out of Rhode Island.He was at my home track a bunch of times.Got some articles about that coming up in later issues.The Bardahl Bug was there a few times.Got some pics I gotta get in here.

29. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

Cool, I'll definitly be watching this thread.

30. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

[​IMG]

The cover of Sept 6 '63.
    S-W-C at Indy.
    What was cool about this paper and others was less than a week you had a printed story and results from big events like Indy.