Register now to get rid of these ads!

y block starter bendix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wagonofov, Sep 9, 2010.

1. wagonofov

wagonofov
    from Kalifornia

Alrighty guys Ive been trying to fix my y block starter bendix/drive. Ive had the starter tested and its fine had the bendix looked at also and that was fine. When I got it back I accidentally moved the bendix forward and it popped into place. I was told that is the reason why my starter was grinding. Now how do i go about moving the bendiix shaft back into its regular location? Ive try the search engines and google with no luck, so hopefully u guys might be able to help me. Thanks

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Install on car ,start car . When engine starts drive will kick out of engagement. No biggy !!

3. take a wire wheel on a stationary grinder and spin the drive so it ratchets and when it reaches warp speed it will fly out:D

why do you have to be old to know anything about old cars:eek:

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Eugene : That is a damm good question !! I've done the wire wheel trick a few times myself. These youngen's I hate to recomend something like that ,they may hurt themselves. LOL!

5. wagonofov

wagonofov
    from Kalifornia

double double

6. wagonofov

wagonofov
    from Kalifornia

Thanks guys for the replies, sorry for the hasty rushed post earlier, I was on my way out the door after a long day of work, this is my first y block build also keep that in mind gents besides someone has to pass on the knowledge when you guys kick the bucket... Anyways....

I did try to spin and it did not budge. I took the bendix apart and cleaned and inspected and still couldnt get it to pop back in to place. Im going to send it out and have the bendix looked at since the local parts house doesnt carry one.