Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Buster Dobb's 1953 Corvette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. 92GTA

92GTA

Very interesting! Thanks for posting!

3. Always good to see that car, cant get enough!

4. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

that rear fin shot stirred my memory

5. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Good looking car that i don't think have ever seen before

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I fell in love with it when it was first featured in the magazines. Customs were getting pretty gaudy (IMHO) at that time and this one is so subtle but so attractive to my eye.

7. texdesoto

texdesoto

That's sweet!

8. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, that little thing is cool! The side profile shot is rad.. I'm not in love with the lights, but they just work!! Neat car :)

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

There have been quite a few custom corvettes that I like in the past. This one is a nice representation of doing it right. THings like those lincoln headlights could have gotten out of hand very quickly but the builder did it right. For 1959 it's definitely way off the mark for where sports cars were heading but in terms of custom cars it's right in line. Love it!

10. daddio211

daddio211

I've never cared for "customized Corvettes" but this one is really cool. Anyone know the story with the engine? It would have to be one of the earliest (but probably not the first) 53/54 Vettes to get a small block.

Ryan mentioned it was restored in 2003, so I'd imagine that the engine is the same configuration as it was when built in '59. It'd be interesting to hear more history.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

back in the late 70's or early 80's there was an early Vette with similar modifications in an apartment complex parking lot near me. I never saw it on the street. I wish I had taken a picture... it was orange with a straight axle and "Gasser" stance. every time I see one like this I wonder if it is the same one redone.

that one really looks like it.

12. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

That's one bitchin' car....

13. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Not a big Vette fan but I would roll it!! DEFINATELY!

14. customcory

customcory

Wasn't it a N.C. car at one time. I thought the guy's brother had a purple and flamed 56 Chevy also, Watson style. I like this Vette.

15. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I recently saw pictures on line of what they started with for the restoration- wasn't pretty. Wish I saved the link. That is a great car. Seems like back in the day it would have run something other than the stock hubcaps. I know it was featured in one of the little pages magazines- think it had a different paint scheme back then as well.

16. sinticket

sinticket

BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL VETTE!!!! I was raised up at NCRS events and this would make the NCRS guys cringe being a 53 (first year and extremely rare) ....but I LOVE IT!!!! Cant get enough of this car!

17. It was covered in R&C after the resto. Also went through Barrett jackson a few years back.

18. I saw a very similar car in a museum in Daytona in the early 90's. Could it have been the same one before the restoration?

I thought the one I saw had a fresh/nice paint job on it. I may have an old picture somewhere. I know I took a ton because it was such a cool car. The one I saw may have had more white in it.

19. OK, I found a single photo of it. It was at the Klassix car museum in Daytona Florida. The photo I have is exactly how it looks above with shiney new paint.

Btw, I've just confirmed that I'm a little too obsesed with this hobby if I remember seeing this car 15 years ago. I was 18 years old and probably half drunk and smoked up at the time.

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

One of the early modified vettes that didn't make a mess out of the car. Love that grille treatment.

Frank

21. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

awsome, but i hope it handles better than the 54's i have driven

22. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I've always liked the looks of this Corvette. It's pretty amazing that someone could take one of the first series corvettes and change it up without messing it up, but that is exactly what Dobbs did.

23. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Ive always been a sucker for 57 vettes but that thing is cool!

24. Vettes are difficult to improve but this one nails it. It should piss off the purists.

25. I have been a fan of corvettes for years I especially like custom vettes

Buster Dobbs Vette is similar to that of Bob Moreira which was built by Bob NcNulty ( who later built this Kellison ----> Ferrari Fascination )
    This pic below is from Barris Kustoms of the 1950s I prefer it in the Cherry and silver (it is clean and simple) instead of how it was featured in Hot Rod with the scollops.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wonder if Dobbs was inspired by Moreira's or was it the other way around.

Moreira's in Aug. '59 Hot Rod
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Shane T.

Shane T.

IIRC Steve Mccain found the car resting in a creek bed in far worst shape than it appears in its finished(restored) form. I think I have some of the before pictures saved on one of my computers. Steve was based out of North Carolina at the time of restoration.

27. That is one nice custom Corvette. Being a 53 I'm suprised it survived and didn't get restored back to original.

I'm glad actually, there are enough early vettes with the original head markings on the generator bolts.:rolleyes:

28. catdad49

catdad49

Owned a '64 Coupe for over 20 yrs. and was always drawn to cars that were a little more than restored. In '84 drove down and back to Bowling Green,Ky. from way upstate N.Y. with the wife and two girls. Quite a trip and won long distance award. We traveled real light, had to UPS the extras we collected on the trip!! Memories of long ago, Cat