Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Zephyr

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Man that is one sweet ride...I would love to see it in person...by the way the Cat looks to be very self pleasing...if I could do that I would not be married. ha ha.

3. Terry

Terry

Well, I tihnk I'll just haul all my stuff to the junk heap now......

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Wow. Mr. Howard is an artist, indeed! He does some amazing work and I can't wait to see this one finished. ....nice guy, too!

I remember seeing that car a couple years ago, sitting in front of Austin Speed Shop. I admired it, and really liked it then, and even more so now! :cool:

Malcolm

5. Plowboy

Plowboy

Wow! The 37 Lincoln Zephyr is probably my favorite car ever. If I had one of those, I would probably keep it forever......

6. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

:eek::eek::eek:......Beautiful

7. You can almost hear the burble of a boat motor when you look at it, imagining it going down the road low enough so it looks like it's floating.

8. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Now I see why he wouldn't let me post the pic's I took while I was out there on Saturday Morning. It looks a lot better outside the shop.

Thanks for the excellent pictures.

Gary Howard is a true Artist

B:)B

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

OH MAN!!!

That car's gonna RULE!

No car has STYLE like a stock Zephyr......thanks for postin' Ryan.

10. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

It's his car and his money but I would have left it in the patina guise.

11. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

That thing is pure sex, but I would hate to see its feature wasted on a studio shot. It should be shot rolling on the open road while the sun is going down torwards the sunset on a open road

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Gary Howard's execution in restraint and poise never ceases to amaze me. He is responsible for my favorite custom (Jimmy Vaughn '54) and this car is blowing me away as well. Great work and I can't wait to see the end result. I hope that the A.S.S crew will raise the front end an inch or two because I feel as if it's calling for it.

13. 31whitey

31whitey

Pure...

Just looking at it makes me feel good...I couldn't even imagine actually driving such beauty.

A true work of art.

Line and Form seems perfected...

And wait till BOB and the A.S.S. guys get to work their madness on the motor mounts...The work coming out of that shop right now will bend peoples minds...

The A.S.S. crew have the skills and the eye to compliment such a car...I'm loosing it right now.

Stefan

14. My how the times & tastes have changed in 50 years. In the late 50's you couldn't give Zephyr's away...today they are the bell of the customizers ball.

I'm so glad that "Dare to be Different" has taken deep roots in the hobby.

15. Townsend

Townsend

Spoken like a true Canadian. :) That's a joke.

Wow. That car is incredible. Howard's ability to edit himself has always amazed me.

It reminds me of Cole's '36 a little bit. Only, it's got better lines.

Paint it black.

Great photos Ryan.

16. Church

Church
    from South Bay

That car is just ridiculously bad ass. Kudos to Gary Howard, and Dr. Dan as well. Looks like he's going to have a pretty killer collection on his hands. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

17. BLAKE

BLAKE

Thanks for posting this, Ryan... I was wondering recently how that project was progressing. Like most, I truly dug Dan's Zephyr in 'driver' guise, but when I heard that Gary Howard had the car I did one o' them slow-growing, Grinch-style evil grins as I imagined the possibilities afforded by the combination of THAT car in THOSE hands.

Don't be stingy with updates!

18. skullcracker

skullcracker
    from Austin

Ryan-
    Thanks for the excellent post. Your words and images do Gary justice. The Monet quote is definitely apropos. I feel blessed to be the current caretaker of such a piece of rolling sculpture. Gary's mind, his sense, his feel are just amazing. I can't wait to get the V-12 in her!
    dp

19. camargma

camargma

the picture of the cat really pulls the whole story together. :D

20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Another Killer ride Dan...and Gary Howard is a genius!

21. Cool ass car !! Can't wait to see that when it's done. And that sign in the shop AREA 51 wooha !! >>>>.

22. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

That's awesome!

Gary Howard is truly one of the greats...it's inspirational to see a car like this in the raw.

Maybe someday I'll be able to do an early custom....getting to do a Zephyr like that had to be a real treat.

23. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Bass and Zephyr.....Now that build is what I would love to see.

24. dv8

dv8

Dude....That cat knows how to party.

The car is awesome! I'm really starting to get into fat-fendered coupes, and this one is topps!

25. 65 impala

65 impala

thanks again ryan its a gem

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

God... for the past half hour I've been sitting here wondering what these people are commenting about when they mention the cat.

I made a little code error and I was actually seeing another shot from the photoshoot locally, when everyone else was seeing a cat licking himself.

Perfect.

In any case, I've decided to let it ride. Gary's cat is good enough to make the cut.

27. Goob333

Goob333

I feel as if that cat puts my life into some sorts of perspective but, the car does more for me on an emotional level.

28. Rough Stock

Rough Stock
    from Austin, Tx

simply amazing... Dr. Dan, I truly admire your ability to have the things I want.
    I look forward to being as "in-awe" of this, as I was the first time I saw the 55.

29. Wow...

I see a future TRJ cover on the way...really sweet that they are stuffing a V-12 back where it belongs...

I think this is my favorite shot out of the bunch:
    [​IMG]

And while they may/may not make the final cut, the hubcaps are a welcome departure from sombreros...just my opinion...

I agree with Ryan that a dark hue is on the way...while the original patina was unique, it's wasted on a car with lines like a Zephyr...

Todd

30. Beautiful car indeed.

I've always loved the lines of a Zephyr. I picked up a 38 3 window and a 39 sedan about a year or so ago, but I've always liked the 37 the best.