Register now to get rid of these ads!

Willys repo body question...and other Q's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Byron Crump, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Am I crazy or did I see over a year ago that a Willys (40-41) body was going to be made new in steel and if so what happened to the idea?

I thought one was already being made but I guess I was wrong on that.

I could swear one was at least going to be made.

On a side note, I have no idea about Willys, I always liked them and loved the movie "Hot Rod" as a kid and had a slot car of one but after watching "Hot Rod" again (twice actually in the last week, once with Brewton and the other time with Buzzard) I curious about them.

I know they have always been expensive and they are rare but are they 32 money or more in line with 40 Ford money if that makes any sense? I am talking current (and IMHO crazy) average prices on the street.

I really only like the 40-41 front end but how far back is the rest of the car the same, or are they? I know of 39’s with 41 front ends…but are the 39 bodies the same as the 41?

Any good books are anything on them?

I have never picked up the gasser book that is out so I guess I will do that.

Hmmm, wonder if I could trade a 50 merc for one…LOL.

I do think a Willys might be the only car I could personally ever stand to own in glass but I prefer steel. Snobby I know….ah well.

2. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Get me a 9/16ths and the vice grips.

Go glass with this one, unless somebody is repopping steel bodies. You'd be too nervous to race a "real" one. (I would too). Besides, you could sell the Merc, get a glass Willys, and have money left over to finish the roadster.

3. you can find glass bodies for a decent price ..

4. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

The vice grip comment in the movie and the one about the aquarium pump still crack me up. I am telling you, it might be one of the best b movie ever!

Impwagon/GD 430, where are you on this, back me up LOL.

5. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Anybody know much about these guys and the quality?

Americangasser.com

6. Steel cars are worse than 32 bodies.....cost wise. Are you planning on racing the car, or making some mundane street car? Spend money on a name car if street is your thing, if you plan to race, then any cheap back yard body will do....Mine was a very nice body that was done in the back yard making the mould off of a real car...The rest of the car is some old Cal automotive type race glass. It really doesnt fit to good. So if your going for the Hot Rod type build, not fitting too good is part of the look in my opinion!

[​IMG]

Baron likes this.
  7. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Do you still have the mold?

8. Sorry, it is long gone.....My buddy Chuck Bonick made the body years ago. I think he has another mould now from a name brand body.

9. Weasel

Weasel

Troy Thompson of Roland's Rod Shop is making a prototype steel 1940 coupe body - check it out on his website - www.rolandsrodshop.com. His stuff is really great - fits good and true to the original too - not 'almost fits' and 'kinda right'. Gonna be $$$ if he produces them as they are hugely labor intensive.

Lazze made an aluminum body and there are a couple of others in process around the U.S.

1937 coupe bodies had no drip rails but all 1937-42 coupe bodies interchange. Dash is different and changes almost every year. 1937-40 bodies had windshield wipers on header panel, 1941/42 had cowl mounted wipers and extra groove around windshield. Way too many differences to go into here.

Most glass bodies are hopelessly inaccurate - the tail pan is usually a dead giveaway. If you want to look authentic go for one with door hinges. Most authentic one out there is Ronnie Sandifer's of Hillside Street Rods in Covington, LA. Also there is a great one from South Africa. PM me for contact details.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

I still want to know what happen to my neighbors car. Northern Ohio strip car, Late 60's - 70's. Was named Moody-Thompson.

Sorry for the OT, I ask this now and then hoping someone knows.

11. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

This may be what you saw a couple of years ago. http://www.westcoastmotorcars.com/index.html

Looks like they are a couple of years behind schedule, according to the autoblog. And it doesn't look like they plan on offering a straight axle option on the chassis.

12. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Hey, I was gonna PM you but any basic info you want to share about the different year models and the differences in repops might be of interest to more than just myself if you feel like posting it.

13. RodStRace

RodStRace

14. Weasel

Weasel

Due to popular demand - well from 'Merc' at least, here is some Willys info on coupes 1937-42:

1937 Model 37 - no drip rail, large rear fender opening
    1938 Model 38 - drip rail but otherwise ditto
    1939 Model 48 - same as Model 38

Dash had two big round gauges

These were 100" wheelbase with 48 hp L134 4cyl, mechanical brakes four lug wheels. Rounded 'bullnose' front sheet metal

1939 Willys Overland - 'sharknose' front 102" wb, smaller rear fender openings, hydraulic brakes, 61 hp L134 4 cyl dash had rectangular gauge cluster. 5 on 4.5 wheel bolt patterns

1940 Model 440 - same body as 1939 Overland but new front sheetmetal with two small grilles and teardrop headlights. De Luxe version had the 'cats whiskers'. All the 1937-1940 coupe doors had raised round bosses for the door handles which had round escutcheons. 63hp 102" wheel base hydraulic brakes. All 1937-1942 coupes had header mounted windshield wipers - one on standard (Speedway) models, 2 on De Luxe models.

Inner structure is different on trunk lids 1937-1939 (Model 48 only) and early 1937 cars have different tail light/license plate light arrangement and very bulbous headlamp lens (like 1936 Ford) with three strakes on either side of the headlight pods.

1941 Model 441 and 1942 Model 442 had extra stamped recess around windshield and wipers on cowl. Doors had teardrop shaped raised boss for handles and handles had teardrop shaped escutcheon. New strip type guage cluster. 104" wheelbase with rear fender opening appearing to be like 1939 Overland/1940 models but actually set 1.5" further back. Chassis widens 2" from front of rear kickup and has 2" wider rear axle. Rear bumper brackets exit through fenders instead of through tail pan (1937-40).

Many differences on bumpers too throughout the period, but too long for here.

Much of the styling for 1937-42 Willys coupes was plagiarized from the 1934-1936 Hupmobile Raymond Loewy designed aerodynamic coupes (didn't know Boyd was at his plagiarism tricks so many years ago!). Indeed in 1934 there was a proposed Hupp/Willys - a 1935 Model 77 Willys with a 4 cyl version of the Hupp L6 and Hupp front sheet metal with rear fender skirts. This hybrid concept for a Hupp economy car actually resulted in the restyled front end for the 1935/36 Willys Model 77.

This is just a brief synopsis and this does not claim to be comprehensive. I have missed out a lot of other detail differences - long enough post as it is.

15. alsancle

alsancle

If you build one, please use a straight axle. I absolutely love these cars, but that seems to be the one detail that separates the ones that are o.k. from the ones that are totally cool. Probably, cause if you bother with the straight axle, there are a bunch of other details related to it that I like too.

16. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

17. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Thanks for the clarifications, Weasel.

18. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Randy Ferguson...he is on here.

He builds them, nice as well

19. I think I saw in Rod and Custom magazine where this teenage student built one completely out of aluminum.They showed some pics and it really looked good. The kid has some incredible talent. I believe he has a website.I think it's aluminumwilleys.com. He's not selling but if you like willeys you will get a kick out of it.

20. Assman!

Assman!
    from no where

"I gotta check the valves"
    Two Lane Blacktop

21. eberhama

eberhama

I think this is the one your thinking of... www.aluminumstreetrods.com
    and it is for sale. I think hes in his mid-20's now, and he does turn out some nice work.

22. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Thanks Weasel.

So, what is wrong with the two repop bodies you mentioned compaired to the real deal?

Do you have some basic info on those?

I can't seem to find a web page for the guys in LA.

Who makes the African one?

23. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

B movie???

Compared to my B movie collection that one is an A++

24. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

25. drumyn29

drumyn29

If you are looking for the best 1940 1941 willys coupe body sheet metal guy then you should call LEE KAY in Orange county California. He can hand build a body for you.

26. ags41dave

ags41dave
    from midwest

Byron:Call Ronnie at Hillside Street Rods,you can not tell his cars from a steel one at all.His glass parts are the same dimension as steel parts and will interchange, bodies have all the correct seam lines no. is 985-898-3653,Dave