Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone run two 6 volt batteries in series for 12 volts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by firstgear, Mar 10, 2012.

1. firstgear

firstgear

Trying to find the best way to package 12 volt battery in the Model A. One thought was two 6 volt batteries in series. The batteries are narrow and can be run along the frame without getting into the exhaust.

Anyone use dual 6 volt batteries?

2. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

Did on a 1948 Jeep CJ2A. Just to start, but it worked really good.

3. GREASER815

GREASER815

Some older IH tractors do. Works fine.

4. MGB's were like that until 1974, but the batteries are bigger than a 12v Miata AGM battery.

5. Hot Rod Grampa

Hot Rod Grampa

Running them is series is very common. Has been done on all types of equipment. Not sure you need to go to that effort. Many new batteries are available in a compact package eliminating the extra weight, wiring and work to build a second battery box, holdown braacket etc. you get the idea. Secondly, both batteries must be maintained and if one weakens, it will pull the second one down also. Good luck.

6. XXL__

XXL__

If space is your concern, take a look at Braille batteries. Decent amperage, tiny, and already 12v.

7. done on hd trucks to get high amp 12v (3 12v batteries), you could look into commercial batteries. I found a 12v bus battery that would fit into a '50 buick 6v battery tray (long and skinny).

8. woodypecker

woodypecker

If size matters get a coupon from most any car magazine and go to Harbor freight and buy their jump start battery and remove the outer case and you will have a battery like a Mazda Miata for about $35. It also has a built in battery charger,

9. haychrishay

haychrishay

I did it in my track roadster

10. Stacy David did that on his green roadster. Put them behind the seat.

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Many of the British sports cars had a pair of 6V batteries in series mounted one on each side of the car: Jag XK120, 140, 150, MGA, MGB and others. Very common in Euro cars back when.

12. Almost everything British in the 60's did that. Seems like there was a surplus of 6 volt batteries or something.

Anyway, cars, bikes, and probably mopeds had two 6 volts in series in England during the 60's

Cosmo

13. ktc31coupe

ktc31coupe
    from Colorado

I run two Optima 6 volt batteries in my coupe. One on each side of the gas tank in the trunk. There wasn't room for one 12 volt and it works great.

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

My vote, too. Why add the weight of a second battery when there are newer versions that will work in your old location. Gary

15. firstgear

firstgear

The old location is behind the passenger seat. I want to get the battery out of the car and under the car. There is a nice gap between the body and the frame rails.....if I can fit a Braille battery in there, I will be good. They have some interesting sizes. I figure I will cut up some cardboard in the battery plus holder size, and see where it can fit....the interior was just redone and without the battery behind the passenger seat, the rumble seat area has more area for legs and storage.

16. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

The way to go, why mess with two when one little jellcell will do. My car has very limited space so I use a jellcell 7"X6 3/4"X3 1/2". It can be mounted in any position and will hold a charge for years. Cranks a 300hp SBC all day long.

[​IMG]

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a series of batteries made to go inside cars that has a vent hose that leads out though the floorboards built in. Almost every VW, Mercedes, Audi and other German car uses one under the back seat. At least up though the late 80's. They are pretty low profile too and the one for a 85 Audi 5000S has a pretty good amp and cold start rating. That's going by the one I had a few years ago.

I've had batteries on somewhat hard to reach locations before and it isn't fun to have to take the car half way apart or crawl under it in the mud (they never seem to crap out on dry clean pavement) to reach the battery.

18. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

I have the battery under the right front fender, have to remove the wheel to get to it. I just ran a battery cable from the pos side up into the motor area so I can jump or charge it. put a piece of hose over the end so it wont short out.

19. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

GM did that with early 50's Cadillac "Fleetwood Limo" series,...Used two of the long, narrow 6 volt units, one one each side, in fenderwells. It worked,......As did the aforementioned Euro cars.

4TTRUK

20. XXL__

XXL__

I use these mounted to the frame rail, within easy reach, either from the hood opening or the wheel (if I turn it to the left). They are self-insulating, so you just drill a hole in the frame and mount them.

[​IMG]

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A few more thoughts... multiple batteries add more wiring and therefore more connectors. Just a few more tid-bits to run / clamp, come loose or corrode in the overall system. I've only built two cars, but learning from both I'd say easy access / easy charging or jumping is far more important than location (or a well placed remote cut-off switch / charging plug) but placement is still a big consideration.

My first ride had a Moroso drag racing style battery box in the trunk and it was hidden by an interior panel. Trick I thought. Turns out... not so cool. It took about 8 screws to get the cosmetic panel and the box top off to reach the battery. A PITA for charging /jumps, and even more so with a load of crap in the trunk. I also had a set of those big red / black charging posts in the rear pan. I never had to use them, but if you do be sure to mount them far enough apart that you can't accidentally short them out when attaching the jumper cable clamps or if the clamps happen to rotate around the posts and touch.

The 27's battery is under the bed and has fairly easy access. I do have a weatherpack pig tail for trickle charging, but the jumper plug is still in the box. Unlike the big posts, I'll be using one of the smaller jumper plug sets sold for the trailer / RV guys this time. The only draw back is that I'll have to fab up a special set of jumper cables with one end to match the female plug in the truck.

The next build will have a quick release cover over the battery box (no fasteners) and unobstructed, quick access from above (while the cut-off / charge plug may still be mounted some place else). Having to crawl under the car or use a lift to reach / replace the battery makes no sense at all, IMHO, but at least a trap door of some sort in the floor improves that arrangement. Gary

22. BJR

BJR

53 Olds & 54 Buick used a long skinny 12 volt battery, why not use one skinny 12 volt instead of 2 skinny 6 volts?

23. firstgear

firstgear

Those are nice to have!

24. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

I had a Studebaker with the long skinny battery and got replacements from Caterpillar.

25. Faus

Faus

I go to Autozone, the guys there are good guys... Well the ones I live near. Most of them are car guys themselves; and they hook a guy up and help out if asked. Awesome dudes.

26. when my aunt came from England to live with us, she brought her metropolitan. had jumbo twin batteries in it.(didn't see the need for that kind of power to start a 4 cyl austin motor)so I asked her why, she said at the time it was law that any disabled vehicle had to have the capacity to leave parking lights on at all times.

27. XXL__

XXL__

We DEFINITELY have different Autozone staff than you. :eek:

28. firstgear

firstgear

Thanks everyone. The Braille battery while only about 460ccamps will fit and they make a decent battery holder for it (seriously over priced). Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Herb

29. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Hey guys ..was reading on the battery situation here......notice them heavy expensive battery charging lugs. I've made my own charging lug posts.....using the smaller rubber valve stems,....making a mounting plate,...pulling the stem thru......removing the valve core and soldering a 10 Gage wire to the end where the core installs. The other end to battery. Screw the cap back on and it's covered.....

30. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

The long skinny ones like the IH tractors (and my little 6V Clark Trukloader forklift) used are also available in 12V- Tractor Supply has them in stock