Register now to get rid of these ads!

Veda Orr's "Lakes" Pictorial 1946

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Thanks for posting that! Great pics. Someone should do a poster of the shot with Veda Orr at the wheel of the '32.....

3. Great history there and yes of course we want to see more:) What a ground-breaker and just all around cool lady Veda must have been.

4. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

What amazes me is the number of spectators at the Lake. It was a BIG thing, and why has it faded?

6. More please and to typo41 - life was much simpler then, the "to-do" list was non-existent, and everyone had just been to hell and back. This was their entertainment, their "reality TV" if you will.

7. aojo

aojo

absolutely more of the pamphlet.. great stuff.

8. silverdome

silverdome

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. froghawk

froghawk

Yes, more, definitely! Thanks!

Veda's A-V8 roadster with the Ford Tri-motor seats is amazing! Any more photos or info on that car?

10. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

More please...................

11. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

A real hero in my book.......!

12. I replaced a windshield in Veda's A. cut the windshield up and saved the decal. My grandaughter dropped and broke it 15 years ago, but I can't bring myself to throw it away

Attached Files:

48fordor likes this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just looked at my original copy, it has Clymer Motors stamped in blue ink under Veda Orr's address on the inside page. The 1946 season on the cover has a "Featuring Hot Rods" lable pasted over it. I got this along with 10-12 issues of CT News along with boxes of late 1940's issues of Hot Rod magazine from the original owner. Old Ralph had a 1926 Rolls Royce and would stop by the shop back in the early 1980's and talk Rolls Royce. The stories were always the same, but I'd listen while I worked. One day out of the blue he showed up with a trunk load of Hot Rod history. I hever knew he had any interest in the stuff untill then. You just never know, be nice to everyone! Bob

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Now, THAT'S cool!

15. 296ardun

296ardun

Never get tired of this kind of history...(on another post, there is a picture of Karl Orr's old speed shop in Culver City, building is still there, appears to be a barber shop now)

Thanks for posting!

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This is one book that I really need to get. I think Travis Tuki just picked up an original .....pretty awesome but for the price that they're going for, I think a reprint would be more my style just because I know my son will tearing into them in no time....whether he likes cars or not.

17. This kind of history, is what makes the HAMB, the best. I have an original copy of the later post-war edition, and you are right it has a more "polished" feel to it. I wish someone would make a movie about the life of Veda Orr. What a inspiring tale it would be, for the traditional hot rodders of today. definately the "1rst Lady of Hot Rodding".

18. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

If you ever do decide to throw it away, just send it to me. I have the same sticker on my Sport Coupe windshield from the '50's.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you want the book (any book) for research a copy is the way to go if an original is costly. I have a file cabinet full of literature I use to reply to questions on many of the racing history threads here. I know some items have gone down hill a bit over the years. Bob :)

20. What is the current price for an original? A friend gave me one and because of that I will not sell it. Just curious. I think the book is copy right protected and reprints are available from http://velocepress.com/about/ . I did not see it listed but it is a Floyd Clymer publication and they own all the titles.

21. aircap

aircap

I have a copy of the reprint - I cherish it!

22. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

I knew before I read it that I would ask you to show us the rest of it next week.
    Sure enough, it is done in a personal style that you just can't duplicate with "technical writing".
    I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I absolutely LOVE this stuff.
    Thanks!

23. flamingokid

flamingokid

I definitely want to see more!

24. funnycar

funnycar

So I'm prowd to own a copy (S.C.T.A.) of the last reprint. Amazing.

25. Larry T

Larry T

A friend of mind just dropped off an original 1949 copy of the pictorial - neat deal!

26. Anywhere between 90 and 135 dollars. HRP

27. Nobey

Nobey

Still waiting to see the rest of it...