Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saltflat Racer or Custom barnfind?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alsancle, Dec 11, 2006.

1. alsancle

alsancle

2. alsancle

alsancle

One more try.

Attached Files:

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. alsancle

alsancle

I think it is pretty cool except for the lack of speed equipment on the motor - which makes you think that it wasn't intended for any real speed runs.

Stogy likes this.
  6. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

Do salt cars requir horns...cuz there's two of 'em right out front there. Of course they could be early Forced induction I guess.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

Yeah, no speed equipment on an already slow motor, horns and tacky shit stuck to it, I'm sayin' this is somebody's home built jobby just for fun. No way it has any racing history.

I'd like to get a closer look at the rims on the back of it though, they look like some neat artilleries or General Jumbos to me.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Kinda' looks like that crazy aluminum thing that Jay Leno drives. Someone better call him so he can have bookends.

9. could it be something from the movie industry?????

10. Those are some of the coolest gauges I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

Anybody got any idea what they're from?

11. mrkerb

mrkerb

Kinda looks like the Mormon Meteor, maybe there were two of them??
    I'm also thinking (given the lack of go-fast stuff) prop car for some movie.

12. Scott K

Scott K

Looks like it belongs in the WTF thread from the other day.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Degreaser

Degreaser

14. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I don't know what that thing is...

But it was called the MARMON meteor...

"THE Mormon Meteor" is what the Polygimist commands his 14 teenage wives call his svelt wang...

15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I just spit my coffee all over the keyboard....dammit

16. alsancle

alsancle

Abe Jenkins was Mormon, hence the name of the duesenberg that he set all kinds of 24 hour records was christened the "Mormon Meteor".

It is possible that the original engine (with lots more HP) was replaced at a later date with the gokart motor. When we found our Stutz Special there was a low end packard in there. We were fortunate to find the original builders son who had pictures of the tricked out original Stutz engine. Also, to adapt the car for road use, horns and lights were hung on it (that looked like crap) so you never know.

17. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Well I'll be damned...

I did a search and sure enough. All the articles I'd read previously had said "Marmon"... I always thought it was strange that a Duezy powered car was called a Marmon...

18. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

I'm fuckin cryin over here!

Too funny.

I have no info on the car, good luck with it.

19. jimdillon

jimdillon

Just like today with all of the "Tribute" cars affectionately referred to on this forum as clones or worse, there were tribute cars back then but not so much to clone them exactly. When the likes of Malcolm Campbell and Ab Jenkins anong others, set out to establish records some had cars built in the spirit of the racers. I have heard people refer to them as boulevard cruisers. It is not always true that if you find a piece of junk today that you can assume it was originally built that way. I had a thirties midget that was pretty cobbled up and had a Jeep four cylinder (because those were plentiful after the big war) but it originally was setup for a V8-60. When the good engine blew, the cars were pushed aside and then generally somone got the bright idea to put (insert pitiful powerplant here) in it. If it was something that had to be documented, it takes abit of time to study the construction methods of the body, and frame etc. If it has some savings grace it may be something with some decent history. If it looks pretty pitiful at every turn then you probably have a neat looking car but maybe without real value. Nevertheless I kind of like it in a weird way. I wouldn't discount it until after it is studied hopefully by someone with knowledge of old racers. Hope it turns out to be something decent. It is always good to hear of great finds-Jim

20. Shoprag

Shoprag

It says it's an all steel car, that seems like alot of work just to copy something. Where was it (state) last registered ??

21. rdzimm2001

rdzimm2001

It would make a good project for Dwayne to discuss and to complain to Boyd about not gonna make the completion date. Hope I never see this thing on the telly.
    CHEERS !!!! ZIMM

22. Svenny

Svenny

Looks like something from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.......

23. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

All the versions of Ab Jenkins' Mormon Meteor are accounted for.

Check the new book, Ab Jenkins & The Mormon Meteor and the Studebaker Connection.

Oh, yeah - this "whatsit" car is weird!

24. alsancle

alsancle

I wasn't saying it was one of the Mormon Meteor cars. Just saying it was possible that the 6 banger wasn't the original powerplant. I'm not sure how aero dynamic that nose is so movie car is a possibility.

I have some pictures of the Mormon Meteor from 1946 - Hamb DB is not allowing postings right now for some reason - so here is a link: http://home.townisp.com/~alsancle/MormonMeteor.html
    On the topic of the Mormon Meteor, there were three original dual carb supercharged engines (450hp) built for it back in 34. When I was in high school working for my uncle we had one in the shop that had been put in the 29 Paris show car by the factory. The car was a rocket ship (relatively speaking).

25. Low

Low

The Mormon Meteor that Ab Jenkins set all those records in is a way cool car. I actually had the pleasure of working on the actual "Mormon Meteor" a couple years ago, preparing it for sale at auction during pebble beach. It still has all its original speed equipment and is still fast and powerfull as all get out. I never actually got to drive it, but i did get to ride in it at about 100 mph. Loud, fast, fun, and Loud. It sold the next day at auction for over 3 million dollars.

26. av8

av8

As seen in better days . . . could be the same car.

[​IMG]

27. SilentMind415

SilentMind415
    from Stockton

Damn sure looks like the same front end....what is that from? :confused:

28. Degreaser

Degreaser

even has seven grill slats per side.

29. av8

av8

I snagged it several years ago for my files because it was a rather ambitious build and looked to be well done. I believe it was an illustration for a magazine article from the '30s. The filename I gave is 34 SPECIAL.

Sorry I don't have more info.

Mike

30. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Who cares it is butt ugly...Maybe an early James Bond prototype. Give it a decent burial.