Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Vin number question!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Levis Classic, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

I got two numbers on this old original 1929 Model A title

engine number - the letter A and seven digits
    and a title number with seven digits

Which is the Vin number?

THANKS

2. old beet

old beet

All of the above...

3. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Most likely the engine number is what they used for the VIN. Not at all uncommon. The title number is probably just that, a number used to identify the title document itself.

4. 5window

5window

When I titled my '31 as a street rod, Pennsylvania voided my original title and issued me a whole new VIN plate for the firewall and a new title with matching numbers. I wonder what would happen if I wanted to restore it as a Model A?

My original title used the A+number as the VIN number.

5. toledobill

toledobill

All I can add is that I bought a '29 A roadster from a guy in California back in 1967. The California title listed the VIN as the serial number off the Y-block that was swapped into the A. The title listed the car as a "Self-assembled 1929 Ford". When I swapped out the Y-block, I made a new "VIN plate" with the Y-block's serial number and put it discretely on the firewall.

6. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

If you can find any number that matches something on your car use it. My frame (as with most) have a serial number that starts with an A. but it can not be seen with the body on the frame. so the motor number is used alot of times because if you have the original motor it can be verified.

7. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

The engine number on an A is the same as the one stamped in the frame. Model A's shared running gear on a lot of models. The frames came down the assembly line, The engines were put in and the engine number stamped in the frame. Had to prove that to my DMV when I titled my tudor.

8. BELLM

BELLM

Use the engine number, the title number is just that, the number on the title assigned to that title by the state, not a number assigned to the car.

9. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

yup.,,use the engine number on your title...

i went to the local trophy place and had a plaque made that said
    "Body No. XXXXXXX" for $5.30 ,took it home rivited it on ,,scuffed it up with a scotch brite pad and then went for the sherrifs inspection and had no problem,,,

results may very,use as directed,batterys not included

13clicks and dicer2000 like this.
  10. BigDaddyP

BigDaddyP

Anyone know where the Vin# is on a '29 Ford??

11. on the engine if it is the original one and on the frame, drivers side right behind the first body mount hole. you can not see it with the body on

12. manacoem

manacoem

Vin on a 29 is usually located on the drivers side frame rail , very near where the 2 bolts that secure the cowl post to the frame bracket are ( area between the cowl post with hinges and the firewall) All of mine have been preceeded with a ''star" then an ''A", then the number , and then another star after the number. Also I have seen them near where the battery is located on top of the center crossmember. If you find the number and can't quite make it out, you can look just above the split flange of the firewall on the drivers side, there should should be a total date of manufacturing (month, day and year ) stamped in the top section very near the split flange. then go to the model A collectors website and see what range of numbers were applicable ,pick one that looks the closest, and hope that nobody else is using it (slim Chance)! You should also have that number on your bill of sale I would think.. Our DMV in michigan always asks. Then at least you can ask for a Lost Title app. Hope it helps Later manacoem

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

just my 2 cents
    the engine number may not be the original vin.# because it could have been replaced..and replaced many times thru the vehicles life..(ask me how i know)
    the REAL number you want is on the frame like said above..
    just to shine a light on what im saying..my 79 year old model A had a 1931 engine in it..did the numbers on the frame match the engine...F$%k NO!
    im in Michigan they want the Vehicle Number (hence VIN#) not the engine number..trust me..get the Frame number and use it.

14. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Glad you asked this, I have been wondering also on my model A roadster on a 1932 frame, should I register it as 31 using the body # or a 32 with the frame #?

15. If you don't have paperwork, use whatever number is stamped into the car. If you have paperwork, and your state does not inspect the vehicle, use that.

16. 56Sedan

56Sedan

Some Model A's have a body number stamped on the first cross brace on the body(right in front of the seat) All this number does is tells where it was built and the sequential number.

The frame number is the best bet for determining the orig. VIN as motors got changed often and not much effort was made to restamp the block back in the day.

17. Mullda

Mullda

Thanks 56Sedan. I just moved to NC a few months ago and they have really tightened up on the antique car registration process. I don't know how may previous owners my 1930 A has had, but the last one had the car for over 15 years. I've had it for five. It has a new chassis with no number on it and the only number on the body is the one on the first cross brace. So it looks like its going to be a real interesting trip to the DMV here next month.......................

18. kookee

kookee

Not to drudge up an old topic, but it is very current for me. It was all I could find searching the topic.

I have an opportunity to buy a 30 Model A. However, it is just the sheet metal. No frame, motor, etc. Seller wants to keep the frame and title for another project. I had considered purchasing, or attempt building, a frame.

In this scenario there are no numbers. What kind of trouble is it going to be to get a title registered in Michigan? I researched the Secretary of State site and found that they will award one with clear documentation, VIN, etc. Screwed without it?

Many thanks!

19. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

A lot of correct answers here. The VIN is stamped on top the frame under the body and can't be seen without removing the body, how convenient, right? When I bought my A the VIN on the frame didn't match the title but did match the motor number so I guess back then the motor was the important part plus it could be verified easier. I'm going with the plate idea mentioned above. Mount it at the bottom on the firewall on the driver's side, should be good to go. If you want something to do in your spare time call the DMV and ask them. Call back in about 3-4 days and get another person on the phone and see if you get the same answer. Good luck.

20. Model A frames are a dime a dozen. Just buy another one, the body doesn't care what the frame number is. I have a similar problem in that I have a nice A frame but the coupe it used to be someone used a 1-800-street-rod frame on, so I'm sure they used the existing registration. Which means that car has a serial number with no proof on the car that it's that car, unless they were smart enough to stamp the new frame with it.

So to use this frame I'd have to do what they did - use an existing registration - or register the finished vehicle using the number of another frame I have here.

Which if you build a frame for your body, just stamp a number in in the correct place, and slip an extra digit into it beyond the range of A serial numbers, so it's sure to not come back as in use.

By the way, we're all asking about Serial numbers. It didn't become a "VIN" until 1968. Just a minor nitpick -

21. how can you tell the difference from a 28-29 and a 30-31 ford vin number???

22. by the number . there was a range numbers used each month and year of production. from #1 in october 1927 to # 4,849,340 in march of 1932

23. so my number stars with A7*******i really need a title for the car and need to know if it is a 30-31 number or a 28-29 number since my car is a 30-31. any web site out there that could help me??? i read in this port that there is a model a collectors website but no address after the reference.

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

if it starts with a 7 ..is a 28

The 29's started after 810.000 something I think it was 810,180 or something like that

look on mafca.com

DOH! ..I just realized this post is from 2005...Guess it pays to go back to page one..

25. thanks i fouind this post by doing a search on google then decided to bring it back to life since it had usefull info on it anyways:D

26. pitman

pitman

27. i can not find any info on vin numbers at that site, so am i just completely stupid or only half way stupid

28. that site is a little hard to get around. click on "references" on the main page....then scroll down to " model A engine production"

29. thanks!!!! thats much better!!!:D

30. metalmanll

metalmanll

they mark the frame an the engine they started with a a but the engine number might not be right if the engine was ever change 29 numbers where 0810123 thru 2742695they had a a in front an a star in back