Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I flush out my heater core?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ayers Garage, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I'm working on my Falcon this morning trying to get the heater working. I figured out that it's stopped up internally. One hose stays hot and the other stays cold.

I removed the core from the car and it was completely plugged up. By flushing water back and forth, I got it to flow a bit of water, but I think it's still plugged up a good bit.

Now, the question, with the core removed from the car, is there some kind of solvent I can run through it to loosen the sludge inside it? It's Sunday or I'd just take it to a radiator shop. I want to fix it today.

Regards,
    Kevin

2. rodknocker

rodknocker

have you priced out a new one, if you already have it out.I'd try some oven cleaner and small blasts of air, really small so that you don't blow out the core, you just want to create an internal "shaking effect.

3. butchr

butchr

white viniger. let it sit couple hours. then run water n air thru it.

4. cruisinkruty

cruisinkruty

Go to the hardware store and get CLR or any other limeaway product. Fill up the heater core with the recommeded solution let set a bit and flush as you have been. Trouble is sometimes if the core is weak it will create leaks,but it will be clean! I have done this numerous times on filthy clogged up cores and got them flowing great again

5. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Get whatever brand of cooling system flush the local parts house sells and dilute it 50/50 with water; heat solution in suitable container
    in microwave (when wife is gone) and pour into heater core until full, let sit until cool and BACKFLUSH. You're in bidness.