Register now to get rid of these ads!

jag ifs swap-weld v soft mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zeke51, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeke51

zeke51
    from arizona

I have a 48 f1 that I am going to put a xj6 IFS into. I have been doing the research and think this is a perfect way to go based on bang for the buck. I am asking this and on FTE to see if there is a consensus. Other than the obvious one (simplicity) is there any advantage/disadvantage if I were to weld in the subframe versus soft mount. It appears I could get a bit more drop in the front end with welding it in. Maybe a bit more strength(?). Would this cause greater problems with the rear mounted r n p? If anyone has welding this setup in I would be interested in any inout you could give. Any help is appreciated pictures even better!

Neto1 likes this.
  2. aldixie

aldixie

I have one in a 1950 Chevy sedan, not driven it much yet but mine is welded in. I did one on a 50 F1 about 8 or 9 years ago and again I welded that one and had no problems. I have an article done by custom car magazine that shows one put into a 50 chevy pickup. PM me and I'll email it to you if you don't already have it.

3. Vinnie

Vinnie

4. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Weld it. They look better when you fill on the space between the frame and the spring pockets.

5. What about the avalibility and cost of rebuild brake parts? I've always liked the looks of the Jag IFS and hear they ride and handle good but, I can't help thinking it would be pretty pricy when it comes rebuild time.

6. aldixie

aldixie

Parts are readily available at the parts houses including Autozone. They are well built. Rear ends have been used for years in Rods in the UK.

Example of prices:-
    Brake pads $21
    Rebuilt Calipers $150
    Rebuld kits $54
    Brake Hose $25
    Bearing kits $22

7. I welded in. No problems with parts. I used a xj6 in a 28 Ford and the springs were way too stiff. I was later advised that softer springs can be had. I had already switched to coil overs. As you know these front ends use 5x4.75 bolt pattern, so it's easy to find wheels in that pattern, but the center of the hub is real big and many wheels won't fit. I recently got a heads up about turning the hubs down on a lathe for easier wheel fit. it was pretty straightforward using the rack w/o power steering.

8. I'm surprised at that. I guess they aren't too much more expensive to work on than the usual clip job and probably a lot better engeneering. After you figure out if you want to weld or soft mount, I'd like to see some progress pics as you go.

9. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Somebody on here posted this one done to a chevy AD truck. It gives you an idea for how the jag can be blended in with the original frame.

[​IMG]

10. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have seen many rods with Jaguar rears and front ends . When I asked about them & parts they all told me they would do it again without any regrets !
    WELD it in !

11. aldixie

aldixie

If you want to airbag them, they are real easy to do as well. I'm using some short front shocks on mine with some air ride front chock mounts welded to the crossmember.

12. When I was playing with mine it turned out some of the front end parts were stainless steel: The steering arms and sway bar mounts. They polished up nice and made the front end look better w/o $.

13. Abomination

Abomination

I'd love to see pics!

~Jason

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm a big fan of making them bolt in like stock. If need be I can unbolt the one out of my Buick and put another right in.

15. zeke51

zeke51
    from arizona

From what I gather its not bad at all. In fact its quite reasonable. THere are several sites that cater to just them. Do it! You know you want to.

16. zeke51

zeke51
    from arizona

Thanks to all for the info. I appreciate it.

17. Just to be different, I grafted the whole front subframe from the jag (firewall forward) to my '49 Lincoln coupe.
    This gives me the exact system the Jag engineers designed originally.
    Also gives me the ability to front hinge the Lincoln front sheet metal for tilt front.
    The Jag front bonnet mount is solid and very easily adjustable.
    I have also used the Jag rear end but have custom mounts. Threw the cage away..
    Incidentally, the weight of the Jag and the Lincoln are exactly the same. 3950 pounds.
    Will post some pics when I get home from Americarna. (big event here in NZ)

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yeah, when it was suggested for my Buick I figured the weights would be off. The Buick with the cast iron dynaflow and original rear was 4100 lbs. Lose the dynaflow for ST400 and the weight difference in the rears and I was right at the same weight.

19. Check out what I did with my truck,Igot rid of the cage and went to frame with custom fabbed cross member mount.Any questions feel free to contact me.

20. zeke51

zeke51
    from arizona

will do. ii can figure out how to get pics on here!

21. zeke51

zeke51
    from arizona

Cornbinder, how can I see the pics of what you did. Im technology retarded and new to this forum schtuff!

22. 73RR

73RR

Jag parts and tech info available at Exotic Car Parts, 909-946-8180

23. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

As I said in the Ozrodders thread, rubber mounting will give you a nice quiet smooth ride with fewer rattles, bangs and clunks. <bk/> But welding has some advantages too, especially at the front. A solidly welded in front crossmember will greatly add to torsional rigidity. A rubber mounted front end adds nothing to torsional rigidity of the frame rails.,<bk/> I guess it finally comes down to personal preference, and the intended use of the vehicle.

24. zeke51

zeke51
    from arizona

Thanks for the pics. Great job!!

25. billyolds

billyolds
    from clearwater

has anyone been able to make the ford 5x5.5 wheels work on the swap? I understand anything is possible but im not trying to reinvent the wheel.

26. moffetkustoms

moffetkustoms
    from granby, mo

Awsome job on the international, Cornbinder. That is one gorgous truck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.