Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-51 Merc carson tops??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UnIOnViLLEHauNT, Oct 20, 2006.

1. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Anyone know of where to get a carson top for a 49-51 Merc? I have a 49 4 dr that Im kinda kickin the idea around on...I have heard Gene Winfield?

More importantly...anyone know the approx price of these badboys and what a pain in the ass it is to ship/install? I heard they are heavy, and I could only be farther away from Mojave if I lived in the Atlantic ocean itself...so shipping I would imagine would be insane.

Anyways, just a thought, figured someone on here would know the low down on these things...

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

www.winfieldcustoms.com shows a catalog for sale.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

kick that idea to the curb. I have never seen a 4 door merc with the top wacked off that looked good. I have seen chopped 4 door mercs that were cool, and as always, there is nothing wrong with a regular 4 door merc.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

5. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I know I'll get killed on here for saying this, but I have a ton of pics of that Merc, not really too into it. I mean its definately nice, just the rear door tops are the reason I wouldnt want to chop a 4 dr. My big reason for wanting a carson top is I am trying to grab a 51 2 dr and would like to have the roof/rear window section of the 49 for it. Maybe just fulltime convertable? Or Ill get my white painters tarp out and use the pateneted "Carson Tarp" if it rains lol.

6. twochops

twochops

It has been done before ,here's one(not the best ) but would give you an idea of what it would look like.

TWOCHOPS

Attached Files:

7. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Yeah, no doubt. I have seen a ton of 4 drs done with one, but my question was if anyone knows how much they are (or ballpark) for a Merc. I just saw the link to Winfields page, so I will order the catalog, if anyone knows on here tho....just a figure, gimme a shout. I know its not the best styling idea, but I could really use alot of the sheetmetal off this 4 dr for another Merc, and it would make life alot easier.

Anywho, this one caught my eye. I have heard its a piece from a few ppl, looks cool to me. I have seen it up on ebay etc...never mentioned it was a 4 dr lol (short door) I think its pretty awesome and definately catches the eye. Besides...clear nite? Highway driving? No top? Thats got to be cool, even if it has 2 too many gates.

[​IMG]

8. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

More pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

( I think 4-door Carson topped Mercs can be very cool.If the lines flow they flow and it doensn't matter if two or four doors.)

9. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

this was my first merc, if it wasnt raining my friends and i were crusing. on occaction we did get wet. the top cost me 700 thru a guy i know. i know someone else that has them, i have the number somewhere, pm me and ill find it for ya there both local to me but i never followed up on the price for the other one, i need one for my ladies merc, she wants a convert. chopped fordoors wiht the roof still on just dont look right to me. but thats just me

Attached Files:

10. I disagree.

Attached Files:

11. Looks like we had the same thought.

12. 5051

If your looking for a top. I have a fiberglass Winfield on my side yard I want to get rid of. I can make you a deal or possible trade.

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

...I just have this thing for "late model" cars with no side glass.... the blue one and the black one look pretty cool, but no side glass...

a full set of glass in any chopped car is what seperates the men from the boys.

14. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

my ladies merc is gonna get the full treatment, no short cuts hard top glass all functional and i have to make it a suicide the doors for her while im at it because i want to eliminate the rear doors, which she likes cause there suicide,i dont like the stubbieness of the front doors on a fordoor. i might strech the front and relocate the rear farther back and not have a post in the middle i think would look ok though just dont like that short door!