Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glass packs- which are the best??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_Monster, Aug 7, 2005.

1. The_Monster

The_Monster

Hi gang,

I was wondering what your opinions were on certian glass packs.

The ones I know of are:

Mellow tones
    Maremont
    Gold Tones
    Smithy's
    Cherry Bomb
    Purple Hornies
    Thrush

Are there others? What do you think the best is and why?

Thanks for any comments

2. catch2otwo

catch2otwo

i know dynamax sells them, i have one on my ram, dono how it would sound on something old

3. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

I like the ones that already have the fiberglass burnt out of them:D:D

Dawg

4. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

I run Thrush Cherry Bombs on 3 vehicles. The 53 Vickie with a hot flathead and a 54 F350 with a warm 292 Y Block. Both of those are are just about right. Not too loud and a beautiful rap.

The other car is my 68 Impala SS396 and they are positively intimidating. Very mild at idle and cruising with a light load. When I step on it or down shift it gets; I guess "snarly" is a good word.

I suppose the 2 1/2" pipes on the 396 vs 1 3/4" on the others contributes to the difference.

5. Ive used all of those for years. Hush Thrust sound nicer until they burn out, then they sound like the rest.
    Cherry bombs will last the longest, just because of how they made.

6. luckystiff

luckystiff

i run cherry bombs because they sound good and you can drop in you local auto zone and pick 'em right up no problems. Brockman mello tone steel packs are real good to. if i were gonna go through the trouble of ordering something it would be a set of those...ken....

7. Ford Fairlane

Ford Fairlane

I'm running the "Red Hots" by Flowtech on the y-block in my 57, 2" in and out with 18" case. They have just the sound I wanted. I had them mounted just under the front seats, where the factory originally put the mufflers, with full tailpipes. Nice rap just loud enough but not so mellow. Summit sells them for $17.95 each.

On my early Mustang with a pretty hot 289, I'm running "Blue Streaks" with 2 1/2" in and out with about a 20" case length. These also sound great, and came from the exhaust shop that installed the exhaust.

8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Cherry Bombs sound badass. They're available cheap at pep boys

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Brockman Mellowtones!
    Brock will make them to order for you. Glass, steel, or no packing. Different lengths available. They sound better due to the way he punches the louvers inside the core, in a spiral pattern. The only other ones that sound as good are the OLD Smittys, not the repros. Very reasonable price, I think less than $40 a pair.

10. The_Monster

The_Monster

Thats a lot of helpfull input, thanks!

But, where would I get my hands on some of these? I know I could get a Thrush, Purple Hornie or Cherry Bomb at Knects.

How about the Mellowtones, Gold Tones, Old Smitty or Maremont?

Thanks

11. Tingler I'm running redhots on the Pusher. You're gonna love 'em bro.

Good deep tone, and when you hammer it it might as well be a straight pipe.

I've run the purple hornies that bolt straight to the collector, puts the noise in the wrong place for cruising as far as I'm concerned, they are a good sounding muffler if you're into loud, but after a couple of hours on the hiway it starts to grate on ya.

I ran cherry bombs on the old merc when I was in highschool, Mrs beaner could tell if I went straight home from her place and I lived all the way across town (about a mile as the crow flew).

12. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

I love my cherry bombs on my 57 Fairlane. I think they've been on there since 1975!! They sound better every year.....

13. The_Monster

The_Monster

BTTT

Does anyone know of the real website to Smithy's muffler?

How about Mitchell Muffler??

I cant seem to find them directly, only distributors.

Thanks

14. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

I just get the run of the mill no-names my muffler guy has in 12" x 3". Then I have him put them on backwards. Sounds great on a straight six with fenton headers, and no tickets in a year (some pissed off neighbors though)!
    Erron

15. AssGasket

AssGasket

What's the benefit to running them backwards...??? Burning them out faster..???

16. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

The exhuast slows down, but does not get caught in the louvers. It makes ic act more as a baffle than a muffler.

17. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Try this site for Brockman Mellotones; Steel or Glass, your choice :p

18. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

19. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

How did the old round THRUSH straight-thru mufflers compare to todays glass packs? Louder, deeper...the same?

20. muffman58

muffman58

One thing also to consider is muffler length, pipe diameter ,engine make & where you plan on puttin em`.Workin at a muff shop some 10 years you get to know different cars & different sounds.As long as you arn`t runnin a fire breather ,I say go short 12'' to 18'' with 2 '' pipe & you`ll like the sound!

21. Olson

Olson

That's what I've got on the '64 Olds. 2" pipes and 18" Cherry Bombs. They are far from new, and sound mellow until ya goose it. Then it gets real snarly. It ain't *that* loud though.

I find myself taking ways to get where I'm goin' that have lots of bridges to go under and narrow streets with brick buildings...

Olson
    ----------
    lock, stock, and barrel baby...hook line and sinka

22. malix

malix
    from windsor,ca

If youre going for the best sound.. I vote for straight pipes... they sound real nice!!

23. Im surprised not to see more guys runnin the Smithys... I see them everywhere. I put them on my '60 buick with a warm 364, they didn't really sound like glass packs to me though. It may be the placement as well. Mine were near the back of the car. I welded them together with the flow gowing in opposite directions (side by side - not end to end!) Then I crossed the exhaust over from one side to the other throught them.

They had an awesome deep tone, and pretty loud too. kinda like a growl ;) I used to love to hear 'em bounce off the concrete barrier on the freeway.

Damn I miss that car.

24. Richard

Richard
    from Rocklin,CA

The best part about my cherry bombs is ....they were free.:D

25. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

In response to someones question about the old cylinder type Thrushs...I seem to think they were more a mellow tone. I did only have them on a flathead though, so I cant be sure, but there was some bark upstairs, but a small amount...just mellow cruising, not barky there.

26. The_Monster

The_Monster

Does anyone know of the real website to Smithy's muffler?

Do they have thier own website?

I cant seem to find them directly, only dealers.

27. Monster, go see the guys at Portland muffler they used to make their own and maybe still do. they can and at times would custom make them but always can be bought any length you wanted. Hope they're still doing that.

28. 3bytheknee

3bytheknee
    from Sonora, CA

I'll submit a vote for Smithy's. The new ones are glass packs, the originals were steel. They have always sounded great and still do. I have 22" on the RPU and they are fairly loud. I have 26" on the panel truck and they are mellow. They also are available in 30" if you want quiet ones. The tone is perfect on those I have, shades of 1957.

29. Save your money and go Straight pipe out the back. Alot more fun on the freeway.

30. My Rocky Goodtime Van [TM] runs old cherry bombs off headers, through full exhaust ending with 3" echo cans. Sounds good enough but nothing ever sounded like the header-mount Purple Hornies I ran on my old 57 chevy. I ran a 327 with 310 degree Crane cam. The Hornies bolted to the headers and were constructed with their own turn-downs.......no exhaust of any kind behind the mufflers. Yeah, it was loud in the car but hey, I'm a car-guy. I'd turn the radio on after I shut off the engine...still couldn't hear it with the ringing in my ears.
    I loved them Hornies.