Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Ford Fender Differences??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chad, Sep 27, 2009.

1. chad

chad

What's the difference between 40 ford truck fenders and car fenders?? I have a 40 Coupe but I found some nice 40 ford truck fenders....Can they be made to work??

2. One goes on the left front,one goes on the right front....nevermind! Just messing with you,LOL....
    Yes there is a difference between the car fenders and the truck fenders. My friend has a 40 Truck and told me this true. I believe it has to do with the cowl area.

3. chad

chad

LOL...I had that one coming...

I was told it had something to do with the cowl area too...I was just wondering what had to be changed to make them work or if they can be made to work at all ..

4. chad

chad

5. John Milner

John Milner
    from Oklahoma

The rear portion of the fender is about an inch longer on the pickup fender, where it attaches to the running board. Also, the grill is mounted at a little different angle, where if you use a car hood with pickup fenders, there will be about an inch gap from the top of the grill to the bottom of the front of the hood. I guess both could be changed a little. I have done it both ways, a car front end on a pickup and a pickup front end on a car. At different times of course. So, it will work.

6. chop32

chop32

I think I heard a while back that the fenders fit, but the hood wont, but I cant verify this.

7. Just Jones

Just Jones

I have a '39 dlx fender - which to my understanding is the same as '40 car fenders - on my '40 pickup and I can tell you from personal experience that they don't fit well on trucks.

The car fenders leave about a 1 inch gap between the body and the mounting surface of the fender, and also seem to be a little longer, which creates grill alignment issues.

I have been able to get it so that the hood closes ok up front, but leaves a gap further back toward the rear/top of the fender, closer to the cowl.

So - close, but no cigar. Making it fit would require sectioning and so forth, but it could be done.

8. mj40's

mj40's

I bought a truck from a friend and he had mistakenly installed a car fender to the driver’s side of my 40 pickup. It fit the hood, grill and cowl fine. The only thing that was noticeable was there was a gap down the cowl down to the running board. The truck and car fenders are the same length at this area. A car fender mounts to the cowl with 3-4 bolts down the cowl and the flange is angled to fit the indent in the cowl. It also has a slight indent to the flange where the top hole of the flange mounts to the cowl. A truck fender flange is at a 90 degree angle to the fender and mounts to an L bracket at the upper cowl and to the running board only. The rear flange has no holes to mount to the cowl but it will show staple holes were fender welt would have been attached. It is more work to mount a pickup fender to a car but has been done.

9. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Pass on the fenders or buy them and trade for the correct fenders. Fitting the fenders is not worth the effort. PU fenders front and rear are real easy to sell as they are unique. Passenger car front fenders can be had for $300 -$500 each in LA. Not NOS but fixable. I have seen car fenders on pickups and they look good but not the reverse.

10. chad

chad

I have never owned a 39/40 ford ..I Usually have Chevy coupes and model "A''s..Its sort of new territory for me..

11. uncletommy

uncletommy
    from la

No they won't interchange but I'm looking to purchase a pair of rear fenders for my 40 pick up do you want to sell. Let me know

12. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

when you get a chance, do a search. a lot of good 40 info on here. this has been covered more than a few times. pickup & car hoods & fenders look alike but are not. good luck on your build