Register now to get rid of these ads!

And a build continues

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by canadianal, Jul 14, 2012.

1. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Well here goes
    a couple monthes ago i came across a for sale a HA/gr on the web. i looked into it and found a beautiful well built and engineered HAMBster for sale.

here is the build thread for those who want to see http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=488608

I contacted the owner Skip Pipes and we talked back and forth and I commited to buy the car. the deal was with a built 292 6 and a poweglide trans. I have no one near with this kind of car and it may be the only one in my province of saskatchewan so the engine and trans were not an issue
    went down with a long box truck dismantled the car loaded it up and back north it came.
    I must add that skip is an amazing fabricator and had put together a really nice car, he and his family were very freindly and down to earth.
    The car came back and is now in my shop , i have got it put together as a roller and will slowly start getting things put together on it.

I never took any pics of it in the back of the truck or when we unloaded it but i wish i did cause its hard to believe it all fit inthe back of a truck even the way i packed it.
    here are some once we got it together as a roller

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  2. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Welcome aboard, and you have a great start. I hope that you first run a stock 292, so that we can see how they run. But that might be extra labor and time. I will delete this post in a few days to keep your post clean. Joe

3. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

I worked on the 292 oilpan today and grafted a 350 deep pan assy to the bottom of the 292 pan it actually worked pretty darn good , a little hinkey at the front as the pan is about 1 1/2 longer than the deep pan . worked out ok though. i don't know if i am going to put the windage screen screen inside though. This isnt a super high rpm motor that would gain a lot from an scraper and screen as long as the oil gets back into the deep hole at the end.Ran out of mig gas so will have to wait to finish

Attached Files:

4. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Hey Joe thanks for the welcome,Dont worry about it, thats what this is for input and ideas Sorry the 292 is already well on its way 80 over 366 pistons 0 decked, lump heads and a smith cam. Am going to run a 3200 stall in the powerglide dont know if the whitewalls will hook very well??

5. Old28

Old28

Great to see the build continues thread started Al. As I understand some of the SDRA Tulsa cars run the L-78 Bias Ply tire and others run a 6" wide radial as I have on my build. Almost all of the motors being used in the HA/GR & SDRA classes can over power the 6" tread tires. It's all about learning how to get it hooked up in that first 60'. My learning curve starts in a few weeks.:rolleyes:

Enjoy the build and remember "LOTS OF PICTURES" Tom

6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Welcome aboard Al. Don't worry about the insanity around here, it's contagious. Looking forward to seeing the car come together. Have you got a name for it yet? :p

7. I got pics.

Al is an amazing planner; he got everything in the truck and home safely.

Skip

Attached Files:

8. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

And I didnt think anyone took any pics of that :eek: it made it back to Canada the border guys never even blinked an eye and no troopers stopped me on the way home . ordered the 6 cyl performance tech book and its on its way.

9. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

You were talking about the differant tires. I have made a few runs on the cokers that the 60 ft time's were 1.62 and 1.63. On a preped track they hook up really well.

10. old sparks

old sparks

What 6 cylinder tech book? Since I am using the same basic combo, I need all the help I can get.Thanx Dan

11. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

I have a 292 6 that is going into the car the book is Leo Santucci's Power Manual for the Inline Chevrolet 6. its suppposed to be the bible for the later in line 6

12. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

oilpan finished,dont look to close at the welds, man tough to weld old oilpans !! turned out good. no leaks

also a start on some kind of headers

am going to just do a simple 90 degree back and stagger the pipes so the front 3 and rear 3 go into a ovaled 3/12 inch collector pipe and exit on the lt side of the car.
    i resisted the uge to make the collectors go staight up like a puller tractor and have 2 flappers on top:)

Attached Files:

13. Old28

Old28

Al, pan looks like it will hold a couple of quarts extra, did you add the baffle/screen to it?

Good start on the intake and headers. Your moving right along.:)

14. Looking really good - Skip

15. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Olds 28 no I didnt put in the screen it only fit a portion as the pan is so long. I also dont have a oilpump pickup so I wasnt sure about fitment.
    I was going to leave it off i was more concerned about oil supply and capacity.
    I was just in the shop looking at the exhaust i may just make up a simple set of zoomie turnups and wrap them in header wrap . dont know yet will see how things turn out.

16. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Header flanges and stub pipes , have a little finishing left on the shorter ones but they turned out good .
    Anybody tied to cone or shrink 4 inch exhuast tubing but not the whole length ? Like if a 4 ft pipe only the front 2 ft whould be shrunk to a cone. would cutting a lonng angled sliver from the pipe and then rolling the cut pieces toether work. I would think it would work at the far end but progressivly harder to do so as you get the smaller part of the piece cut out.
    I am trying to do it all myself for one reaseon I am a long way from the places that make this stuff and also because that would be what one would have to do to build something like this back then except with a stick welder:D

Attached Files:

17. injected27

injected27

Looking good keep up the good work

18. Old school way. Take 4 pie cuts @90 degrees as far back as you want the taper. Use several hose clamps to draw down the front to the size you want. Mark the overlaps, take the clamps off, trim the excess, reclamp and weld/grind.

19. as per skip if you want a concentric transition, if you want an easier eccentric transition you can just do a pie cut on one side, and will be easier the longer it is, but saves from doing 4 welds to just one....;):)

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

20. ThingyM

ThingyM

Since I'm in the conveyor business. I use tapered rollers from conveyor turns.. They go from 2 1/2" to 1 1/2" in 18" You can cut them down to many different sizes. And they are 16ga material...JMHWODT

21. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Broke down today and ordered a 30 inch cone from California thought i would splurge and it would look better , I scored another 292 engine for parts and the price was right, free just a 15 mile drive to pick it up.
    thanks for the offer thingym but it has to be bigger for my plans

22. P-Dog

P-Dog

Check out Speedy Bills for strange, odd and unusual parts, they have a lot of things a guy can use on a HAMBster, street rod parts and engine, that sort of thing.
    I've bought a lot of things from Speedy Bills, always right and fast shipping.

www.speedwaymotors.com

Good luck with your build, you have a very good start and MORE PICTURES, pictures are great for we old people who don't read well.

P-Dog

23. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

got the ther 292 its froze but not bad will soak it for a while to get the pistons out.

on a positive note got the bottom end buttoned up today with a modified oil pickup its ugly but functional and got the pan and timing cover pan dipstick tube. timing chain oiler all in. Should have ordered the head stud kit as could have gotten that together this weekend.

Does anyone know the ramifications of running the engine with whatever is supposed to be in the upper large journal in the oill filter fitting. the other engine has a little spring loaded flap in there ??

Attached Files:

24. old sparks

old sparks

Thanks for the heads up on the santucci bible.I got it today,and it covers everything. still trying to find a decent core 292. the only thing i don`t get is you are supposed to remove the head bolt boss going through the intake ports. do you have that mod & are you concerned with weakening the head bolt clamping force or maybe you are supposed to use the lump bolt as an alternate head bolt? Maybe thinking to much

25. Old28

Old28

Hi Al, I sent a lot of PM back & forth with skip as he came up with the 366 piston idea and I will be real interested how the combination works out.

In the picture the piston looks to form a -0- deck condition. Is the piston at a true -0- deck or is it down in the hole a few .000th? Can you measure the depth and let me know.

PM me if you want. tom

26. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Old sparks the round bolt that comes with the kit replaces that head bolt, Skip pipes explained to me that the area being compressed is smaller soa better seal can be made on that potion of the head. I am also getting a arp head stud kit also to make shure the lid stays on.
    Old 28 I will check the piston depth onece i get my body mobile today.

hers something that I am going to ask and it could be put in the tech post also. I am goig to run an delco 3 wire alternator as its the cheapest to obtain here.
    Is there a wiring diagram that would make sense for running 1 wire to the alternator and have all the connections and a common auto diode right at the alternator and still have it shut off with the master battery switch(this seems to be a isue). I am shure there is a way but am trying to figure it out.

27. Al,

The large hole in the oil filter housing is for a check valve; you have to run it. If your parts store can't find it I'll send you one.

I'm sure someone won't like the Zero deck, but the head gasket thickness will give all the clearance you need for a race motor. As this is a "racing" engine (not a street car) you won't be able to run it on unleaded pump gas, but as I said, we know this is a race engine.

Here's the scoop on how to convert a 1-wire alternator. Fairly inexpensive and easy to do for a thinking man (like you). From a very trusted source!
    http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/onewire.html

I thing the oil pan came out great and I'm pleased you did it; you won't regret it.

28. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

I measured the pistons with a feeler gauge not quite 0 deck between .40 and .35 thou might as well be 0 deck.
    I figured it out skip re the oil bypass and i would run one up here especialy as it can be pretty chilly in the mornings even in sept and october I am shure i can get one at the local NAPA parts. Ive seen filters explode in the pits. I will have to get a new harmonic balancer as the one on the doner motor looks pretty rough will track one of those down this week.
    cleaned and painted parts this morning till it got too hot, front door of my shop faces south great place to paint parts on a hot day but gets too hot to be out there long.
    Am looking at trying av gas in the car, some guys are using it here and have had good luck.
    race fuel here is about 5.00 a litre local which is 20.00 an american gallon which is stupid.
    thanks skip for the site thats one i didnt find

29. nexxussian

nexxussian

What do you have available for av gas?

100LL would keep the knock away, but I thought they outlawed all forms of leaded fuel in Canada. :confused:

If you have 80/87 that isn't going to be better than "pump" gas.

Good luck.

30. in 73 I had a 250 daily driver that I removed the boss in the port installed a countersunk allen bolt used an allen key through the hole left in the roof of the port to tighten the head then tapped and installed a npt plug to seal it never had any gasket problems. i would skip on the av gas you must have ethanol/gas mix, e85 would be better.