Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Egoless Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

It's the simplicity of the early cars that make them so beautiful. It really reminds one of the fact that they were machines designed to do a job. Modifying one to create a new feel without going overboard or losing sight of the machine's original intent takes real talent and restraint.

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As usual you nailed it. "Egoless"...what an interesting term. You're right about the ego. For some it's in the caliber of their work. In the showcar/streetrod world of today it's more than quality or bling. It's also 'how much'. Anyone that goes through that looking glass doesn't really talk about it. It's just there. So much so that it completely covers the car's soul and perhaps the owner's as well leaving only the builder to tread water in that angry sea. The car you posted as well as those in the text, yeah man, you're right...as usual. Can't wait for the mag dude. Lookin forward to it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

5. SteadyT

SteadyT

It's such a tug'o'war between cars that are 'ego-less' and ones that were clearly derived from 'ego'.

I guess I love both sides of spectrum.

Something I have never realized really until this post is that the humblest of builders I have seen/known without an exposed ego whatsoever let it out only through the machine they created. WILD.

6. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Very well stated. I like that Tudor a lot.
    I'm trying to achieve something approaching that in terms of simplicity and absence of bling.
    But it's a great temptation to keep adding stuff.

Attached Files:

7. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks for the read, Boss. I need to re-read that again. Or at least my ego does.

8. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

You had me at "remember".....

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I was just talking about this sedan last night with Boobie. There is just something about that car that stuck in our heads. The stance, the tire selection, the....lack of chop? It's what was NOT done to this car that makes it stick out or at least stick in our thoughts even when we are not looking at it.

And let's really get into the nitty and gritty. How many sedan's do we see being built recently that carry as much weight as this one. To be honest the sedan has really gathered a reputation for dudes that love to hammer their cars as low as possible and like it to scream "look at me". For every ten or twenty that look like they have zero clearance under their frame and body there comes one....maybe one that leaves the fenders in tact and nails the stance to a "T". Ladies and gentleman, what we have here is a thing of beauty.

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Simple cars are like a blank canvas in a way. They can remain as they are, or be changed easily. I think that may be why they're viewed here with respect.

Absolutely great read, Ryan. Thats a good one.

11. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

With over-modifying our cars: "know when to say 'when'"
    So true...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. A good pal told me something really smart when I was originally describing the details on my touring. He said "you can't use EVERY cool part and idea on one single car" He was right. The best cars DON'T have all the buzzword parts on em.

13. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Just let the car speak for itself, less is more.

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'm not sure I get "egoless". I do cars that are understated, and generally they don't attract a lot of attention, but my ego looms large. If my car is looking sharp -- clean and shiny -- my pride in it is huge.

An observation about the model A sedan at the top of the thread: a stock, full fendered sedan looks like an old man, not very powerful or athletic. THAT sedan still looks like an old man, but he's buff and tanned. The wheels, tires, and stance completely change the image of the car to one that's sure-footed and strong (even if it's not).

I think it would walk proudly, maybe even run occasionally.

15. It's STILL "Form follows function". Gimcracks and geegaws don't say hot rod.

16. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

Is that why i've always liked un-chopped cars? i'm pretty sure your right, simplicity should be the goal. it takes major dedication to not keep "refining" a car into a tacky piece of crap. the well thought-out, well executed, and simple cars are the ones that i have always admired.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yep, I think that's kind of the point. Egoless in an ego world is hard to accomplish.

18. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan,

I know what you are trying to say and I have difficulty putting it into words as well.

For me the sedan you pictured in your post simply "means business". It is serious and purpose built. It is intentional and it has intentions. When you look at cars like this...cars that mean business, you can sense their intentions or their soul if you will. With the right car, it can put you on edge and kind of give you the heebie-jeebies.

There are only a few cars that have this effect and these cars may be different for different people. Once in a rare while one of these cars will surface that effects nearly everyone in the same way. These cars are special...and...they mean business.:cool:

Thor

19. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Ryan, I'm really glad you featured this car. This build definitely stands out to me, and I'm happy that I'm not the only person that noticed it. Too many of the sedan builds in the past five years have taken the other route: overchopped, 2 inches of ground clearance, etc.

20. It takes all kinds...there is a yin to every yang. You don't appreciate the good times without the bad...you don't quite respect the understated 'till you see that custom trainwreck that looks like a hot rodded Mr Potato Head.

That is the way the world works my friends!

"Upon reading this post you will receive total consciousness".<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

21. NealinCA

NealinCA

I absolutely love this car. I sent a link to the thread to a few friends yesterday. The dropped axle and mechanical brakes make it all the better.

The older I get, the more I like a restored early Ford with stance.

Neal

22. BISHOP

BISHOP

Great read, good job.

23. remdam

remdam
    from New Jersey

I am humbled that so many get what this car is about.

Does that mean i have an ego?

24. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Funny how the egoless cars were usually the ones that were always ready to fire up and drive too.

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Get over yourself:D:D:D!!!

Just kidding, your sedan is awesome.

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Oh, NOW I see what you were getting at, Ryan. Ego = overdone = small penis.

27. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

I post very seldom on the HAMB anymore, but this story struck a chord with me. Cars like this beautiful sedan stand out for a number of reasons. Is it just a clean giddyup, or can it take mine? It draws me in for further inspection, but nothing is revealed. In my own right, I am a huge fan of un-chopped, hooded, full fender cars in general. Showing a full house flattie, or a nailhead is great and often makes the car. Keeping everything tucked away allows the car to make the car. I love it! It is what drives me to wrench on mine. I try to keep certain things as they were for the sake of the vehicle (like not chopping it) while adding or taking away what little I can and still allow the original intention to shine through. Ok, thats all I got. Time to crawl back under my rock. Thanks Ryan.

28. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Well put....
    The A above just doesn't say "hotrod" to me....but it does say "gangster" for some reason....it's got ATTITUDE. :D

29. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

I like the simple sedan look...but I also like these versions of the sedan...these versions just make the car feel more personal to me...call it ego if you must.

DonnyMopar
    31 Plymouth 2dr. Sedan (under construction or destruction...)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  30. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I agree. Let the car speak for me as an extension of me; I shouldn't have to speak for the car.