Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's a Henway?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemi, Jul 19, 2006.

1. hemi

hemi

Seriously, besides depending on the size of the bird?

I always thought that Norm Grabowski's Henway was a kooky one-off deal, but then I saw another one in Nashville. I didn't get a chance to speak with the owner... were these real trucks? Was there a Henway company and where was it based?

My google search only yielded riddles...

Anyone?

2. Its a joke. There never was a Henway truck produced. Some guys have spent big money to make "fool you" false identity tags.

3. markanthony

markanthony

A little more than a rooster?

4. Thumper

Thumper

About 4 lbs.

5. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I think the Henway and the Piecost were both made by the same company :rolleyes:

6. Same company that makes a dickfer.

Bryan

7. hemi

hemi

Well, this is an awful lot of work for a joke...

Attached Files:

8. Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

That's an awful lot of work for that end result no matter what the reason.

9. sojerscraper

sojerscraper

HAHAHA! reminds me of some of my lego creations as a wee lad. seriously though, is that cab made of the cabinet for a pac man arcade game?

10. Gator

Gator

I actually talked to the guy that builds those bodys yesterday, I was given his number and told he was a 'Model A guy'

We talked a little while and he says - " If you're into the 'Hot Rods' I got something you need to come and see." I had to pry it out of him, he didn't want to give me any details. When he finally said he was making bodys from scratch out of wood, I knew EXACTLY what he was talking about. I've seen the yellow truck (at least I think it's the same one pictured ) at a couple of local shows - 'Henway' emblems and all.

11. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Looks like a cross between a golf cart and a festival ride.

12. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Its still creating the mystic after maybe about 26 or so years so I would believe it may have made its mark.......

13. hemi

hemi

Well then where did it originate, who had the first one, and why would anyone want to make another after that?

I don't get it....

14. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

Well fellas, If this is a Henway. Then a Henway is an ugly bastard

15. Good aerodynamics, compared to a skyscraper.

16. OldSchoolObee

OldSchoolObee

I cant believe that you guys dont remember that the Henway was built by Norm Grabowski...as a joke....but he used the truck daily for years, I think that he was restoring the Henway , after it had been sitting for years unused....That pic of the yellow truck, how recent was it?

17. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, that yellow one is THE Grabowski truck, not ANOTHER one.

18. hemi

hemi

That pic was taken June 24th, and the old guy was adamant about telling everyone that it was NOT Grabowski's truck....

19. hemi

hemi

I knew Grabowski had built one, and I've always heard the joke...but then this trucked popped up, and after a little internet research I ran across a few references to Henway trucks...so is the yellow one indeed Norm's? Did he restore and then sell it? Did this guy build another one?

Anyone have a pic of Norm's truck?

20. hemi

hemi

21. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

OH the 70's were a sick time....lol

22. Now I'm PISSED!

You guys told me that the mystery doors I've been keeping in my shed for 5 years were for a Henway and neither one of the trucks have doors!!!!!:mad: :p

23. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

The yellow Henway was in the December '79 Hot Rod, as "Homer's Henway". It seems I saw Norm's Henway in NSRA coverage on ESPN pulling wagons full of spectators around to view all the action. I didn't like the blue paintjob, missed the original orange.

24. Gator

Gator

Yeah, if that picture was taken at Goodguys' Nashville like I think it was then that's most likely the guy I was talikng to. 'Rick' was his name I believe.

25. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

Where's a tree hugger when you need one? To each his own. Be interesting to see up close.

26. hemi

hemi

It was in Nashville, and I did a little digging...found out the guy's name is Homer, and prolly the same guy who was in the '79 issue of Hot Rod. I'd imagine a jewel like that would be a little hard to unload....:D

27. Dougan

Dougan

Norm's Henway was the better one of the two that used to go to the nationals.

I always liked Norm's best.

If you see him ask him about the polish chicken he used to haul around in the back of the truck.

No joke, he really had a pure bred polish chicken. Fluffy feathers and all. Norms family used to sell eggs in the forties and fifties. He really knows his chickens.

And thats no yoke!!!

28. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

the little ones running around my yard weigh about 2 lbs - game hens :D

29. after reading this thread, I've seen quite a few so-called ratrods that will qualify for Henway status in ten or twenty years. The Henway was purpose built as a joke... I sure hope those r-rods were too.