Register now to get rid of these ads!

aluminum slots

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terry bosman, Sep 14, 2012.

1. terry bosman

terry bosman

looking for some time to find 15"x6" aluminum slot for my 28 model a. they only sell 7" with 4" back space in the repo market. I would like to stay away from the repo stuff. does anyone know if they even made that size. I have a 8" from a 65 mustang rear end in a 28 tudor sedan. hoping not to have to tub the fender wheels.Has any one delt with this. I would like to keep the tires in the fender space. I like the aluminum slots any other good vinage wheel ideas. thanks for the help terry

2. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Terry,

There is a local shop that has the new US mags in a 15x5, 15x7 15x8 & 15x9.
    I assume that you are looking for a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern.
    I asked the about the 5" for you this morning and they have a 3" back space.
    If you are interested shoot me a P.M. and I'll send you the number.
    I've seen them at the local trade shows and they are very nice looking wheels.
    Hope this helps you.

3. not sure if they ever made 15 X 6 slots , my guess is someone did...so you have to hit the swap meets and that auction site

why not use a maverick rear end and 15 X 7 ? the maverick is a bit narrower than the mustang and everything should fut up nice

4. 3rd1970RR

3rd1970RR

King Karl, can I get that number from you, please. I am looking for a set of slots for the front of my 70 Road Runner.

Thanx.
    [email protected]

5. Chalk

Chalk
    from Oregon

Forgive my ignorance, but are these "slots"? My father passed and left a shitload car parts that I don't know much about. I grabbed these thinking aluminum scrap. But I seen a thread here I think about this style?

Attached Files:

6. slammed

slammed

YES! No scrap material there. Measure the bolt patterns and widths. And some closer pix. Ya got some $ there fella.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes.......those are slots......do not scrap!

Ray

8. Chalk

Chalk
    from Oregon

Ok thanks. I knew joining this group was a good idea. I'll get some measurements and pics soon. Think ill take a closer look at dads property. I'll bet there's all kinda of stuff that I over looked simply cause I don't know about it. That's not even all of them either.

9. mike bowling

mike bowling

IMG_2902.JPG
    I went crazy buying slots a couple of years ago. I think they look great on just about any hot rod. But buyer beware! Getting them on line I ended up with two sets that were junk!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

swade41, loudbang and AHotRod like this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Since this old thread is already drug back up, might as well ask, when did aluminum slots come out? I've thought about hunting down a set for my car, but undecided between those and Torque Thrust style 5 spokes. I want to replace the bullet hole wheels on it when I get it back on the road.

loudbang likes this.
  11. AHotRod

AHotRod

The most popular Ansen wheel was the Ansen Sprint, which was introduced in 1963. The Sprint was the first "aluminum slot" wheel, being centrifugally cast, a technique seldom used in the wheel industry back then. They were produced on a tracer lathe and shipped in their natural, machined finish

swade41, loudbang and Driver50x like this.
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That's about when I thought. So they fit into the HAMB pre-65 cut off date. Gives me another choice to think about....

AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  13. This has bothered me for a very long time and I've never said anything before. I have original Ansen catalogs from 1963, 1964, 1965,1966 and 1968-1973. I don't have a 1967 catalog so I can't attest to '67 but the Ansen Sprint wheel Does Not appear until my 1968 Ansen catalog. So even if someone has a 1967 catalog and they are in there, No Aluminum Slots technically are not HAMB friendly. If anyone has any printed proof as to an earlier date I'd like to see it. I believe they have always been accepted because they are somewhat a copy of magnesium Halibrands. The only earlier slots I believe are chrome steel by various other companies such as Fenton, M/T, Astro, Keystone, and more. The book Merchants of Speed has a big section on Lou Senter and Ansen and it states he didn't start thinking about making wheels until the mid 60's and spent two years developing them. The first Ansen wheels were the Apollo and the Arrow and required an adapter or knock-off for the bolt pattern of the intended car as all the wheels were made to a 5 1/2" bolt circle. That was 1964, 1965. In 1966 they came out with the Top Eliminator. They were all 5 spoke design. After 1966 the Apollo and Arrow were discontinued.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    bowie likes this.
  14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not sure about 6", but when I built my last gasser I found a pair of 15"x 5.5" sitting in the same garage and bought them. They were on the car when I got it on the road until I found a pair of 15"x 3.5" that I really wanted for my gasser in my avatar.

15. Ansen's that are direct 5x4.75 bolt pattern, no adapter needed

100_3032.jpg

16. 20200404_215010.jpg
    Those are called Top Eliminator that started in 1966. One of my favorite wheels. I have them on my Willys coupe.

swade41 likes this.