Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Adjustable wheelstands, no more guessing on the ride height, while you build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Casny, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I like using these adjustable wheel stands I made, mainly because I find that the actual wheels and tires are, pretty much in the way most of the build and second, these are adjustable to accommodate, different size tires, so you can build to ride height, without guessing what it's going to look like.
    Also a big plus is that these roll and most importantly they roll where your want them to roll, being able to roll your project sideways makes your shop a whole lot bigger.
    This adjusts from 32" tires all the way down to 25" tires.
    So here it goes.
    Here is a scale drawing I made, if it prints correctly you can take measurement off, of it. 1'=3"
    [​IMG]
    Hope it all makes sense.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These dimensions are for a 5 on 5.5" wheelpattern.

#1: I cut 2"X2" angle to 12" long.
    [​IMG]
    #2: Drilled 1/2" holes, 1" from the top, 5/8" from the edge, in 1" increments.
    [​IMG]
    #3: I cut 13" X 4" X 1/4" plates, were all the parts will be welded to.

#4: Bolt the drilled angle pieces to the hub, making sure everything is square (important). The bolt holes have to be 5 1/4" on center, otherwise they wont fit.
    [​IMG]
    #5: Weld the 13" plate to the two angle pieces.
    #6: Let cool down unbolt and check for fit in different holes (ride heights) etc.
    #7: Weld or bolt the casters (5 1/2") tall in my case to the bottom of the plate.
    [​IMG]
    #8: Clean/grind everything to make it save and paint as desired.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Great idea. Kills two birds with one stone Adjustable height and rolling around. Great pics. Thanks, BOBBY FORD

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great idea!!! I likey!! Thanks for the post!

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Nice Dreadman!!

5. NoSurf

NoSurf

Hey great idea.

I don't want to sound nitpicky- but I would put a "gusset" piece between the two uprights and welded to the flat bottom plate. So the bottom plate would in effect be an "L" shape across that area.

6. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

You could, I guess, but once the wheelstand is bolted to the hub, its solid.
    It is really strong as is, thou.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

8. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Nice tech Dread.

Doc.

9. The_Monster

The_Monster

two thumbs up! I really like the idea, very simple!

But wouldnt you get poor gas mileage because of such small diameter wheels? 'Course my coaster wheels would need to have foot brakes on them. You guys are dare devils! How do you slow down? Maybe you drive with one hand on the wheel, other on the emergency brake? hummm... that could work. something to think about anyway :)

10. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Id be more worried about the slapping from the rears ..
    Dave

11. looks good.. does the whole thing want to rotate with the hub when you push it?

12. Neophyte

Neophyte

Nice. I also made some adjustable stands a while ago. One tip I want to give which is something I learned the hard way, so to speak. You will need to space the castor wheel much further apart. When you push the whole frame sideways all will be fine but it's when you push forwards or backwards that it's gonna want to topple over.I was quite surprise at how easily mine would topple over so I added some angle iron to the bottom and move just 2 of my 4 wheels further apart and now they don't topple anymore. Look at my 3 oic then you'll see what I mean.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Awesome idea!! Thats the only way any of my cars could ever do a wheel stand. Is there a way to make it for use on a variety of bolt patterns?

14. Neophyte

Neophyte

I forgot to mention I did mine for both Chevy and Ford bolt patterns.

15. great stuff...

not to take anything away from dread, threadjack or otherwise, but anyone know where i can find bolt circle patterns for doing something similar?

16. atch

atch

AP,

since photobucket is blocked here at work and i can't see the pix, i may be speaking out of turn here. but assuming that i have an idea of what the pix look like, i have two suggestions:

1. if you're gonna have someone mill the piece then they can set up their mill to do precise work,

2. (but more likely) you can use a compass to draw a circle with the approptiate diameter and a protractor to make marks every 72 degrees. that will give you the 5 bolt centers. centerpunch; drill; done.

17. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Great idea!
    I have been fighting around the wheels and tires through my whole build!!

But sitting here, it occurred to me that I have BOTH 5 on 5 1/2 AND 5 on 5 on this current project.

So ... how about a gusset welded solid to ONE upright and the BASE and on the other upright have a couple of holes - and NOT welded to the base or the gusset - that could be bolted to the horizontal gusset that has SLOTTED holes.

That way your adjustable wheel stands, - vertical - could now fit TWO commonly used bolt patterns.
    The slots would still allow the vertical adjustment, as well as side ways adjustment for the different bolt patterns.

Lets see ... where are all those casters that have been gathering dust! :D
    Gonna make a set for sure!!

18. You could make universals with something like this idea, or an X, or a badass anarchy symbol, or a peace sign.

Attached Files:

19. atch

atch

ok, now that i'm home and can see the pix; please disregard all the bs i spouted. dreadman's stuff doesn't look, anything like i was picturing it.

my appologies.

cooool ideas here.

20. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I got mine from this guy, he sells at the L.B. swap.

"Lug Nut King"
    Raul Gonzalez.
    10765 Bennett ave.
    Fontana, Ca. 92337 (909) 376-8011
    www.lugnutking.com

David

21. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

BTW, bitchin' wheels stands Chris.

22. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

yeah chris, good job man!
    -ace

23. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

excellent ideas and execution. I love tech week.

24. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Awesome, gonna make a set this week!

25. injectedA

injectedA

wow...it's these kinds of tech post that make me go "hmmm why didn't you think of this?". Just like that. Nice!!!

26. Wildfire

Wildfire

27. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

i have got to have some,great idea

28. eddie1

eddie1

Great idea! That's one of those why the hell didn't I think of that!

29. devildog101

devildog101

Great info. thanks