Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Blown Flathead engineproject

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Jun 21, 2014.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

Ou God! What a picture !!!

I can make same style system. I have extra "free space" in crank hub to increase one pulley there front side of blower belt pulleys. Then need to make bracket with spring idler pulley. Can be also spring loaded idler arm.

Good. This idea need to improve, develop.....

Aulis

loudbang likes this.
  2. AULIZ

AULIZ

IMG_4093B.jpg IMG_4100B.jpg IMG_4096B.jpg While need to finish two oilpan ready from semiproduct.

aulis

loudbang likes this.
  3. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I struggled trying to make the mechanical fan fit in my 32, but it can be done.
    You're going to enjoy the blower. The supercharger really woke up my 8ba flattie, especially on the low end.

loudbang likes this.
  4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Looks like you figured out the picture size thing AuliZ!:) Nice Shop!

loudbang likes this.
  5. AULIZ

AULIZ

Yes i did, thanks.

Aulis

The 39 guy likes this.
  6. AULIZ

AULIZ

8BA will be ready middle of next week. That engine I have sold to Helsinki. Still need to paint engine, built fuel pump ready + tubes to carbs etc.

After this 8BA Project Im ready to do engine swap to my cabriolet. Italmeccanica engine is started up next weeks.

Aulis IMG_4114b.jpg IMG_4116b.jpg IMG_4117b.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

Love the pile of bolts on the floor looks like when I work LOL. Works better spread them out so you can see what you are looking for.

Runnin shine likes this.
  8. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hah, You´r right. It´s easy to find right nut, bolt, washer when turn box upside down on the floor.
    Takes 10sec to put those back using dustpan.

Of course I have sort bolts, nuts, washers. Washers; lock washers one, small one, big one. Nuts big and small separated. I have metric, unc and unf in same box. Easy to see differences for example 5/16 unc or unf looks different than 8mm. Bolts need to sort more. Those take more space and need have maybe 7-8boxes for them.

I have got free those old style "cardboard" boxes (board drawer, or what ever is right english word for those).
    I have those maybe 300pc,...for rest of my life.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tip my bolts or nuts from their own containers onto an old sack to find what I need then fold the sack and tip them back into the appropriate container. I try to use UNC where ever possible then the need for spares is reduced.
    I don't need to sort "bastard " metrics as they live in a container relegated to the far corner of the shed . On the odd occasion a Japanese devil car needs help.
    Auliz are your European cars subject to metric plague also?

loudbang likes this.
  10. AULIZ

AULIZ

All products made in Europe are 100% metric. Now a days american cars include also metric bolts, nuts,...
    I have dailycar 10y old Mustang, some bolts are metric mostly inc dimension...

Good to have many different kind of bolts, studs, nuts, washers,... When built something, can choose what to use in that case. Also same bolts brass, stainless steel.
    a

loudbang likes this.
  11. Man, what a great thread. I need a blown flathead in my life..

12. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sir.

Blown flatheads are not expensive to built, than have woman living in same address 24/7....

Of course, in begining, supercharger engine is little more expensive.
    if co-operation with Engine not work, it not take 50% of Your house, garage and cars.
    I still remember costs for me, when co-operation with free flow woman not worked......

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  13. AULIZ

AULIZ

IMG_4135b.jpg IMG_4134b.jpg IMG_4133b.jpg IMG_4130b.jpg IMG_4129b.jpg IMG_4127b.jpg IMG_4123b.jpg 8BA ready for "race".
    Generator I have changed to 12V and polarized. Carbs are 100% rebuilt Ford 94-8ba.
    Intake Edelbrock Regular, centerdump headers etc. SS ex.valves, steel In.valves. Hollow-Adjust. lifters and new NOS Howard cam, vertex magneto. New bearings, valvejobs, rings. Nothing special, should be good power and rock´n´roll -sound

Jet96 and 31modelo like this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

Why the extra length bolt holding the damper on?

15. AULIZ

AULIZ

Good question.
    Long bolt has been only that time when I have put engine together.
    Easier to round engine, if use long UNF bolt.

Last time used long bolt today, when I installed Magneto right position (23dec advanced).

aulis

loudbang likes this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

Good that is what I was thinking easier to turn the engine over.

17. AULIZ

AULIZ

Yes. Can use 7/8" wrench (another end open, another round closed).
    Can leave it hang on crankbolt shaft while i.e. adjust lifters.....

loudbang likes this.
  18. Elrod

Elrod

Tom Wesenberg on the Ford Barn made a great tool for turning the engine over using a starter plate, nut, bolt and bendix gear. I would like to do something similar when I have the time, or find it necessary! ;)

Great for use when car is in chassis and it is difficult to get to the crank pulley bolt.

[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  19. AULIZ

AULIZ

Italmeccanica blower flathead:
    Harman Collins magneto has been now finally installed, clutch installed.

Monday I start engine swap. Then we see what happens or happens nothing.....

Aulis

v-v and loudbang like this.
  20. AULIZ

AULIZ

IMG_4154b.jpg IMG_4153b.jpg IMG_4152b.jpg IMG_4148b.jpg IMG_4147 b.jpg Allright. Today afternoon I lifted 220cid twin plug engine out and blower engine in.
    I forgot short waterpump outlets. Need to make that first in the Morning.

Waterpump "feet" are higher than aftermarket pumps. I increased washers between engine and frame.

Aulis

kustomdeluxe, loudbang, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  21. Looks rad. Post a video when she's running.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That´s a beautiful engine! Holy smokes!

loudbang likes this.
  23. v-v

v-v
    from Finland

Wow! Engine looks even better when its in car.

loudbang likes this.
  24. AULIZ

AULIZ

Now started 4 x 10sec without radiator. Massive sound, very massive

221cid twing plug engine sound is more "tenor". Blower engine sound was more like "bass". Dark and loud same time. Like BB Chevy sound.

Needle valves leak etc etc.... New test maybe tomorrow or Tursday when have worked more with engine, changed another pair 48 stromberg on engine. Maybe those another 48´s make better outlook because those are more shiny.

Hope that cylinder block is not leak. This block was not 100% Project engine when I started to bore and hone. But it was free,.....and You know, Im stingy....

Ou shit, what a sound.

loudbang, uncle max and v-v like this.
  25. 3blapcam

3blapcam

You sound pumped! That's awesome! Once it's buttoned up we'll all be waiting for the video... :)

loudbang likes this.
  26. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Aulis , What is the part number on those blower belts? We had issues with our Scot blower as the belts we had didn't like bending backwards .
    Please post a video of this beauty when it's settled in.

loudbang likes this.
  27. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You everybody.

Belts are normal industrial and Agriculture B serie belts. First I used XPB (SPB with teeth) but problem was lenght. SPB/XPB belts lenghts are going 60mm step , for example 1360mm , 1400mm,.....

Classic V-belts are marked inc dimensions. B-50, B-51, B52,..... and they have also half inc dimensions (53 1/2").
    These belts are B-53 (inside lenght is 53". Classic v-belts are marked inside dimension).
    Those are normal, not extra strong. 5-7euro each. Optibelt Red power or Gates Quad Power are stronger. Maybe 15euro each.

I make Video after get all working.

Where can I get adapter between old S&W temp gauge and old Navarro head?
    -- Gauge has 5/8" UNF thread (male)
    -- Head has 3/8" NPT thread (female)
    -- I didn´t find right adaptor to connect gauge to head.

New heads they have 5/8" UNF thread (if Im right)

Kiwi 4d and loudbang like this.
  28. alchemy

alchemy

The gauge sender needs a seated adapter made special for the bulb to sit in. An inverted adapter nut, and the head side is available in different diameters for different applications. In the US we can buy them at a local parts store (might need to order it in). Maybe you can order from Jegs or Sumitt and have it shipped?

loudbang likes this.
  29. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You for info.
    Now a days Im not order from Summit, jegs,.... There is no business for me. When I lived in CA, I bought every week big quantities street and race stuff from PAW and shipped those everry friday to Finland. PAW is gone, I liked their B2B pricing, service and showroom. Old race cars, race engines, hot rods,.....
    Today only hot rod parts and that is good field for me, because built same cars myself.

Can You give me any product number?
    Have Mac´s, Drake.... type shops that same adapter available?

I can testrun engine using my SnapOn laser temp gauge.

AULIS

loudbang likes this.
  30. Here is what you want - just looked it up at Jegs, the Longacre part number is at the bottom:

3-15-2017 7-57-46 AM.jpg

loudbang likes this.