Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shoebox Vin Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasRay, Feb 22, 2017.

1. TexasRay

TexasRay

Hi all, very excited to be here, I just purchased a 51 Fordor in pieces, that's in amazing shape except for the floor pans.I'm an accomplished mechanic and welder and I'm not intimidated by the work plus it will keep me busy for some time.

I've been reading a lot about Vin numbers and their locations on the forum but still just not sure so let me get down to the question.

The firewall and the passenger side front subframe has the same number stamped on it *B1RH100XXX* is this the VIN number? seems like I'm missing numbers. Does this look right to you?
    last known time it was registered was back in 1981.
    The title was lost about 10 years ago.

Thanks in advanced Ray.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. Seems like an odd number. What does the vin plate on firewall say

3. Sounds right for a '51 V-8 car. The numbering started at 100,000 so it's an early car.

4. TexasRay

TexasRay

I'll upload the pictures of the VIN plate on Saturday. I'm used to 17 digit VIN numbers and wasn't sure if this was it, both the VIN plate and stamping on the frame are the same. The previous owner pulled the flathead V8 to use on another project.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 17-digit VIN did not become a nationwide SAE standard until 1981.

Prior to that, it was pretty freestyle.

Many early rides just have an incremental serial number.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2017-2-23_18-35-49.png
    (j) On 1950 thru 1953 models (and beyond) any additional letters between the basic model letters and serial numbers denote the assembly plant.

Note A: The 1949-50 and early 1951 Ford passenger cars did not have a Patent Plate/VIN tag with any breakdown data for the specific car. Late 1951 models included a stamped data plate, which included the vehicle serial number and a production code (defining color, trim, etc). The date plate with serial number and production codes continued with 1952 models and thereafter. The data plate chart for 1949-59 has a limited amount of information for the 49-51 model years. More production code numbers/letters were stamped in the cowl (dash panel) of 1949 to early 1951 models.
    Assembly Plant Code, yours is Richmond.

upload_2017-2-23_18-40-47.png
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm
    http://www.theclassicford.com/1951_ford_id_numbers.htm

7. TexasRay

TexasRay

tedley seems to think its an odd vin number. I have no experience with early fords VIN's, I've been searching the internet and have found a few decoder charts but I can't make sense of them.
    It seems like all the charts don't match with the numbers I have posted, making me think tedley may have a point.
    Any help decoding this vin or some direction on were to look would be appreciated.
    Also the only reason I say its a 51 is because thats what the seller told me.

Ps: I'm glad I found you guys, you guys respond faster then any of the Mustang forums I'm on.

theconvertibleguy likes this.
  8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

You # B1RH100XXX appears correct RH (Assembly plant) is included, note footnote (j) above.

9. TexasRay

TexasRay

mgtstumpy thanks for the info.
    My VIN starts in B1 on the charts it's starts with 1B.
    Is this interpreted the same?
    RH = Richmond

10. TexasRay

TexasRay

This is a bad picture of the vin plate.

Attached Files:

11. If you saw the complete chart you would see that 1Ba is the MODEL number of the car. The serial number Does start with B1 which was Fords numbering system starting in the '50's and continuing forever. B= '50's. 1 = 51 and on it goes like the parts numbering system. Your serial number, not to be confused with modern day VIN is exactly correct.

TexasRay and gimpyshotrods like this.
  12. I had a 51 a few years ago. It had the Vin stamped directly onto the top passengers side of the firewall. It was under the factory paint and matched the title. It had no VIN plate on it anywhere. I was told that the VIN on early 51 cars were stamped on the frame and directly onto the firewall, no VIN plate. Don't know how true it is but it sure looked original.

13. flynstone

flynstone

mine appears to be stamped on the firewall? .......

14. TexasRay

TexasRay

Thanks all for the help! I have learned alot in a little bit of time.
    The vin plate and the chassis stamping match. Now i have a beter understanding of these early ford vin numbers.

Will the DMV have records of this vehicle by vin number? I gave the VIN number to my sister who's a manager at State Farm and also to a personal friend at the police department to see what they could dig up.
    Carfax and similar don't have records of pre 1981 vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only the DMV can answer the question about the records. There are 50-states, and a couple of territories, they ALL have different laws and record keeping standards.

16. TexasRay

TexasRay

Thanks for all the support, I think all my questions regarding the VIN have been answered.
    The Next post in a new thread will be bringing the car home.

17. xgarfieldx

xgarfieldx

How's it going guys mine says B0KC so I take it 1950 From Kansas City I'm curious where can you find what type of model you own?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

VIN not used until 1954 - you are looking at production Patent Plate ID info - no, DMV will not have records on your car

19. xgarfieldx

xgarfieldx

Thanks for the reply so how would you get a title if someone is trying to purchase one? I've heard of ownership in doubt in a few states.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app