Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Ink is good no matter what magazine it is in. Very cool!
    Congratulations for sure!
    Jim

els, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  2. Congratulations!

3. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Nice article, cool!

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Way to go Brian!:)

5. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome! You deserved it!

loudbang and racer-x like this.
  6. thanks everyone. i took the pics with the flash on. looking at the computer now the pics look bad and its hard to read. i also missed a page i will retake the pics and repost them.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    els, bobwop and loudbang like this.
  7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Brian.Outstanding sir.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

els and loudbang like this.
  8. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Able to read just fine. I applaud the effort and meticulous work you have put in to this project. You have my utmost respect. Green suits this car as we are all envious of the abilities required to pull off such an endeavor and make it look easy(even though it was anything but).

9. DOugG

DOugG
    from mich

Pics are kool,,, but I'll have a good look at it Fri. at Cobo.

els, chris13mel and loudbang like this.
  10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That is "special" ink, congratulations on well deserved recognition for building a fabulous rod!

11. I will be at the show with my son. 20170221_181939.jpg 20170221_182013.jpg Sorry to disappoint but the car wont be there. Its completely blown apart for winter servicing. Im also lightening up the car the best i can. Anything that could unbolt from the car is at the polisher. Soon i will be making another trip to the plater. Things have spun out of control again. The magazine article comes at a good time. There has been alot of hours spent in the off season on the car. This is a nice way to get pumped up for the next season.

els, hipster, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  12. A BIG, Congrats to you Brian on the magazine . The baddest coupe on the planet!! Thanks for sharing with those of us that do not have the mag. I will have to try and get a copy.:D

els, AmishMike, racer-x and 1 other person like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

way to go!

els, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  14. Congratulations, Brian! I look forward to reading my issue when I get back home.

Sent from my SM-S902L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. loudbang

loudbang

Very good news. Well deserved attention to one fine HOT ROD. Congrats.

els and racer-x like this.
  16. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Love your typical hot rod attitude. Build it, race it, have fun with it. Break it. Fix it faster and safer. Well done. Look forward to seeing finished.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Congrats, on the coverage. I will have to look at Marks when he gets his. That car is pure Badass, and has a attitude besides. Not just a show car, and we all know that its not a poser car. Keep the good stuff coming.
    Tony

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I hope to see you this weekend at MKE WOW

els likes this.
  19. bob I will be in Detroit for the autorama.

els and bobwop like this.
  20. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Brian;
    Love the sunset shot.
    FWIW, IMHO, that shade of green on the car is ~ 1000% better than the orange & cream sherbet look. I seriously like this car. It's become one of my favorites (even if it's not a Stude... :D .)
    This has been a great thread for those of us that don't know, & don't have the coin to emulate - no matter how much we'd like to... :D .
    Only thing I'd prefer to see is an original-style grill shell around/in front of the moon tank. Just a preference on styling from the AA/FA days.
    In any case, thanks for sharing in detail. Seriously.
    Marcus...

21. thanks for the positive comments marcus. I would say the feed back on the color is running about 50-50. I like them both for different reasons. I think the orange was more for a show car and the green looks more business like. we did do some mock up with the grille shell. we didn't like the look as it seemed out of place. I thought it would have looked better. the sunrise shot was taken over looking lake Michigan. we didn't know it was such a popular spot to watch a sunrise. cars kept parking behind the car. we would have to stop shooting and ask them to move out of the picture. it took a lot of time to set up all of the equipment in the dark. at just the right moment there was a flurry of activity to get the shot. within a few minutes it was over due to the light changing.

els, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  22. stimpy

stimpy

Just got my copy yesterday , nice write up on it , Scott does excellent stuff on the small guys . he might have the pictures digitialized call him and see if he has them would save you time ...

23. the seasons first order of business has been taken care of. drag week registration went live Saturday. it sold out 400 spots in six minutes. this has to be a new record. the registration is non refundable non transferable. so we are going to try again. if I can make it to the fourth stop that being my home town track union grove to race in front of the local crowd I would be very happy. I can already feel the pressure. time to get off the computer and get the crank in the block.

els, bobwop, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  24. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Wishing you well, & killer success!

25. 20170305_183907.jpg When i took the engine apart last fall i noticed a strange wear pattern on the thrust bearing. It was wearing at 2 and seven oclock. The cap was fitting loose in the register. This cap was in a different block that tossed a few rods a few years ago. I got a new hot heads cap and sent the block out to have the new cap fit. This required a align bore. Before i cleaned the block i cut off the motor mounts. They were in the way when i would try to take the headers off. Between the motor plate and frame my hand doesnt fit well. This was something i suffered with all last year. Sometimes its the little things that can really make a difference. Nothing a sawsall and grinder cant fix. 20170305_184144.jpg 20170305_171615.jpg 20170305_183840.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  26. I thought on my day off today i would have the frame finished. I was wrong. The mess created by getting caught in the rain everytime the car went some place had to be dealt with. I started with red scotch brite sanding all the tubing. Then i used dx acid wash. This wash was done several times. Any rust turns black and needs to be gone over again. Without a lift it would have been impossible to do this work. After a few hours of that fun it was off to meet mike to pick up the freshly polished parts. They should be chromed by the middle of next week. Then it was back in the shop for a few more hours of fun. Im getting close to finishing this work. I cant wait to put it all back together bettèr than before. 20170306_140107.jpg 20170306_140226.jpg 20170306_175609.jpg

els, BigDrag, mad mikey and 6 others like this.
  27. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Is that bare chrome moly? Could you go over it with liquid type wax to keep it nicer longer?

28. Does he ever sleep?

els, loudbang, enloe and 1 other person like this.
  29. todays tech is about frame finish. i was told last year if I apply gibbs oil on the frame it would not rust. im here to tell ya that's B.S. not only did the frame look nasty it wasn't going to last long if I just let it go. so just what are the options out there you might ask. after the entire frame is gone over with red scotch brite I go over it with dx metal conditioner. this removes all the rust. I then go over it with prepsol. I was going to do a very light dusting of epoxy primer followed by a light coat of paint that is the color of chromoly. I really didn't want to do this for many reasons. before I started spraying I reached out to some pro chassis builders for their opinions. the response I received was to put on a finish that's like gun bluing. its a three step process. the frame will take on a dark almost black color. the advantages of this finish is the ability to see cracks. it wont have the build up of paint. it wont burn like paint either. its the lightest finish for the job. its also nhra legal. rooman spent some time on the phone with me last night. he says the same thing. he says he has used it on some dragster chassis with good results. he is going to provide the products ordering info for me. so that's the direction im going. the plan last year was to just get the car built and on the track. this off season we want to give the car a nice finished look. then haul ass.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    els, BigDrag, Woogeroo and 10 others like this.
  30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that bare metal frame reminds me of a time when I worked for a guy who had a Baja 1000 Trophy Truck. must have been 50 miles of tubing in that thing and I got the job of cleaning it after each race with scotchbrite and WD-40. funny thing, after misting myself with WD-40 for a couple hours a day for a week my hair was soft like a babies. they should make WD-40 shampoo.

els, loudbang and FinnishFireball like this.