Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Trying to track down a Vintage Hood Ornament

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by semaj4712, Dec 11, 2016.

1. semaj4712

semaj4712

Okay, I know this is a complete shot in the dark, and I really doubt I am going to get any information or leads more so than what I have already come up with.

But to make a long story short, my Father in law races a 29 Model A and he had this old school Cocking Snoot Hood Ornament on his car. About a year ago while getting towed back to the pits somehow the two rope caught the Hood Ornament and badle bent it, nearly broke it.

I am trying to locate another just like it, or atleast any sort of leads as to what it was officially called back in the day. I believe it is originally form the 20s/30s, I have tried searching around and only came across this one that sold on eBay a few months ago.

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/252552875485?rmvSB=true

Any leads or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Goodluck with your search! looks pretty crudely made,but interesting. heres a bump .as they say Johnny

3. GTS225

GTS225

4. upspirate

upspirate

J.C.Whitney??

5. Reach out to Richie Willett in Malden Mass. I've seen him use them in the past 20 years.

6. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I have one. Not sure if i want to part with it. I paid a lot of money for it 10 years ago.
    I would need a lot of money for it. I'm no expert but the guy I bought it from said it's an original and not a cheap re-pro.[​IMG]

7. Show us a photo of the one you have not one you saw on the internet.

The devil hood ornaments are wide & varied and there is the possibility the style might be a loose interpretation of the winged god Mercury or that of a court jester thumbing his nose.

The casting is slightly crud indicating to me it wasn't commercially made but was a small production or possibly a one off. HRP

8. john walker

john walker

No nose pickin' here.

IMG_0615.JPG

9. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I just did a quick ebay search and using winged devil hood ornament a few came up but not like yours. Using same search without the winged brought up a bunch but again not just like yours.
    Good luck, Jimmie

10. Those are all aftermarket items.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  11. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi again. Doing the winged devil hood ornament on ETSY also brought up some without wings.
    Jimmie

12. semaj4712

semaj4712

Heres a picture of his car...
    [​IMG]

And then a closeup on that hood ornament...
    [​IMG]

This is the best picture I have of it.

I am trying to locate the same one without him knowing as a birthday present. Not sure if it is going to work out or not but I did search around on ebay and etsy and everywhere else I could think of, and the only same images I could find is the image I posted at the top. Clearly the one I am looking for is polished up but I figured even if the casting is crude I could polish it up and get it looking close.

Thanks for the help guys, clearly it isn't something that is widely known. But I had to post the question to find out.

13. semaj4712

semaj4712

Actually just found this one, a little better quality
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Hellfish

Hellfish

These are Russian statues from the Kasli foundry, not hood ornaments. They still cast them. My wife used one of the larger ones as the hood ornament on her '51.

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought one from JC Whitney about 20 yrs ago. It has some red plastic on it as I remember. I wonder where in the h--l that is in my garage.