Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flyin' Brick II build & race thread. (ex-Flyin' Brick car)

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old6rodder, May 8, 2013.

1. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Glad you got it back together Old6, I love the new look. What I don't like is we hurt or engine and will not be coming to Eagle field, I was so looking forward to meeting all you guy's.

2. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, Kiddies,

Summer ANRA was fun, but not for the car. On my second qual I finally heard another rod coming loose, and had to call it for the meet. Technically, I won HAMBie, by the grace of Jeana going rather seriously red whilst getting used to the new HP of the Ford. Not the fun way to win anything.

First qual, I slogged out a 14.104 @ 96.04 on a .147 light. Disappointing, with next to no top end in third. Just barely hit 5500 in the eyes.

Second qual, and the HAMBie run, my timing adjust cost me. Dropped to 14.249 @ 92.03 on a slightly better .091 tree. Jeana violated the light pole by -.404, and hung second up slightly, but still ran a good 13.050 @ a wicked 107.39. Nothing but taillight to see from my seat. :D I hadn't realized she'd red lit, so had to be told I had HAMBie when we were looking over our tickets.

If I have the 'Brick back on'er toes, methinks Eagle's going to be a fun shoot-out. :cool:

Well, the coinage set-back's not on-going, just a one-timer. We just have to slog through getting'er paid off now. Should only take a couple years.

Yeah, Gentlemen, I'm really digging the windshield as well. The only thing that kept me from doing it before was the front hoop that NHRA up & demanded for all open cars. With that, the taller & wider windshield would've made it dangerously hard to get out in the event of an upside-down landing.

The grill's unchanged. I think the overcast day bled the rattle-can silver out in these pictures. The off-the-shelf poked metal I used isn't very visible at any rate, and nearly disappears from certain angles to boot.

Mr. Mac, that'll be my loss, I was looking forward to meeting you. Having read about your rocker issue, I surmised it might have to wait for another day. Hope you can have'er back together soon, though.

Well, Kiddies, Eagle's next weekend once again, I'll see if I can keep the toy together this time. ;)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  3. bobw

bobw

The windshield is a fine addition. Congrats on the win.

4. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

I cleaned my glasses. i see the grill screen now. LOL

5. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Didn't keep'er together at Eagle exactly. Didn't come apart, but developed a rod noise on the last run. Had a ball, and finally found out what's been clipping my ETs down. Hint; 't'weren't the cam after all. ;)

I'm loading things up for Barona tomorrow, so won't go into detail 'til next week, but then I'll cover'em both.

Be cool, kiddies. :cool:

6. spanners

spanners

Well. If you're going into men's only business, I'll only hint at going racing this weekend at a country track. Can't give any extra information in case you rush over here and swamp the entry list.:D:D:D

Drewfus likes this.
  7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Well? Did either one of you have any good runs?

8. spanners

spanners

I did Tom, but you'll have to wait till I've got a chance to do a race report.

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  9. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

OK, Kiddies, here 'tis ......

Eagle Field:

The car ran great, but weak Saturday & early Sunday. I figured it out & fixed it, but then I loosened up a couple rods on the last run Sunday.

First race against Jeana wasn't against Jeana, who was "drive lagged" and asleep in the trailer. So I ran Colleen, and we went ahead and ran for HAMBie. I didn't get that one on video, and just as well, as I bogged it out of the hole, and she blew my doors off anyway. :D

I got the second one, also with Colleen, but only got to watch her disappear in the distance, as my top end just wasn't pulling right.

Another run, and I still couldn't get the top end to work right. She was running about a second off her proper pace, mostly not pulling well past about 4500. Muffed the camera on this one as well.

Tom (440) took the wheel for a match-up against Timmy, and drove'er well, but had the same top end limit.

Thanks to my mishandling of the camera those're the only two runs I captured Saturday.

Sunday I got another run with Coleen, but at least made her work a bit harder to trounce me. No fillum again though.

I was fiddling with the mill, re-adjusting valves, timing, etc, trying to figure out the problem, when I absently put my hand over each of the carb stacks in turn to listen to each starvation. Shocked to find the middle one having no effect at all. Seems it wasn't lifting its slide, and #3 & #4 cyls were running on the other two carbs through the balance pipes in the manifold. No problem 'til it ran out of breath around 4500. :rolleyes:

Popped the carb, and cleaned out the vac chamber good. Slapped'er back on, an Oooooh baby! Promptly re-set the timing back to its proper place, and had a chat with Colleen. Off to the strip we went, where I lost another one to her, but by a whole lot less. Forgot the camera again in my haste, but was happy with the car.

Last race Sunday, Joe & I went at it. Got me of course, but I did better against him than I have in a long time. :)

Sadly, I loosened up a couple rods on that one, and had to call it a day. 'Twas pretty close to the end of the meet anyway, so didn't feel cheated at all. ;)

All in all, a great weekend. I haven't missed an "Eagle" since the beginning, and intend to keep that record intact 'til the end of it. :D

Sadly also, as I'm having to drop the ANRA series, Eagle'll be my sole racing with my friends up here now ...... and I'm eagerly looking forward to trying to get HAMBie back from Coleen next Spring. :cool: :D

Barona:

Got four runs in, with plenty of time for more if I'd wanted. Great for a one day meet, eh?

First one I bogged a .341 launch (after having the handler remind me to put on my arm straps :oops:). But the car ran great, and I still managed an 8.357 @ 83.366. Beautiful '55 gasser next to me red lit to give me the win in spite of his much faster car.

Second run was aginst a nice black street car, and after treeing'im with an .047 the 'Brick turned in an 8.199 @ 84.357 for the win, and a new ET for itself. :)

Third run, I drew another street outlaw (lots of'em there, as their meet was running together with ours). He treed my .100, blew on down the strip, and had to wait for me to do my turn-off. I ran an 8.251 @ 83.574 anyway, and was just plain enjoying how the 'Brick was running now.

Fourth run, I waited for Dimitri to collect me, and we hit the lanes together. After stalling'er out the first fire, he got'er re-lit, and we did our burn-outs and staged. I pulled an .o12 out of the hat for the tree rights, and ran a nearly perfect run at 8.141 @ 84.917. Not good enough to beat the 'Doll of course, but another fresh ET for the 'Brick's 1/8th.

The weekend was great, with the added bonus of some (track photog) pictures of Dimitri and me that I'll put up soon as I can buy'em. Also plan to get a copy of this video of us that Bill shot.

These two meets as the finish of the season just have to be the best possible way it could end. Period. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    Crosley, Drewfus and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  10. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Looks like a good time Dick. I am envious.

11. spanners

spanners

Very nice videos and good racing. The problem with me watching your runs is wishing I could come over and run against you and your mates. Alas, I haven't won the lottery yet so it'll have to remain a dream.

12. bobw

bobw

Damn good run against the "Doll".

I was looking at a bit of video on You Tube from October Eagle Field and the Brick was in the second or third pair down the track. Looked and sounded real good.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  13. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, Kiddies,

The Rose Parade's over, and I'm once again back among the living. 'Twas a good one, we pulled a "Mayor's Trophy" banner award out of the year's efforts, and had a great (and mechanical "event" free :D) ride down Colorado Blvd. once again as well.

Here's a pic of "The Cat's Away" for your perusal ......
    TCA.jpg
    ...... and here's a short video link if you're so inclined ......
    ...... and one of our showing, at "post parade" in Pasadena the next day ......
    ...... and one of our judging the day before the parade. ;)

Will be back down into the garage early February. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Drewfus likes this.
  14. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looked even better in person.

15. bobw

bobw

Great float! Now rest. Then go drag racing.

16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

17. Old28

Old28

Old6, going to be at ANRA race next weekend?

18. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Not looking like it. The car's down for a bit, and the weather's looking to be too hot for our granddaughter who wanted to come along. Won't be sure 'til tomorow, but ....... :(

19. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, Kiddies,

Signed up for Randy's 2018 continuation of his 2008, 9, & 10 "Dragfest" meets this coming April 14th & 15th. He was the first to run us HAMBsters out here, and puts together a great meet.
    Definitely a fun way to kick off the '18 season. :cool:

20. spanners

spanners

Bewdy. Make sure the camera is packed and operational. Easy for me to say.

21. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I second what spanners said.

22. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy again,

My buddy Tom's son Mike finally got my compooper back into the video world, with a different video program that works with Google's recent changes. He keeps Tom & Me up to date electronics-wise. Not an easy task for a couple dedicated geezers. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, I made it to Rocky's second Eagle Field meet last year (haven't missed one yet :D), and even remembered the camera. Only bobbled taping a couple of the runs, so wound up with six. And that's including the one I consider the best run of '17. :cool:

So, in no particular order (except saving the best one for last :p), here t'ar ......

Jeana & me ( with me on a "Sunday" drive).

Elmer's son Dick, in Elmer's car, and me. He scalds me of course, but I love lining up with his car. Just plain '50s cool.

Timmie & me. Another fun mismatch I enjoy doing.

Kay's run. She gets just as frustrated with herself when she bobbles it as I do when I bobble it. :D

Guy on a Trumpet & me. He tree'd me by a wheel, missed a gear, and couldn't quite reel me back in. SERIOUSLY cool run, put me in mind of early '50s "Top Eliminator" last runs at some meets.

And finally, what I consider the best run I had the privilege of sharing in all of 2017. Sundown, Saturday, last run of the day, I'll let it speak for itself ......
    Jeana & me. :cool:

Later I'll post up a few from Randy's 2018 re-birth of his "Dragfest" meet from '08 - '10.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  23. spanners

spanners

Now that's better. A good run gets you tingling all over doesn't it? Glad you're back.

24. bobw

bobw

Great to see you in action, Dick. Car sounds real good.

25. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great to see you back in action Dick. Life is whole again.

26. bobw

bobw

Some nice pics of the "brick" in the Antique Nationals thread on the main board.

27. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, they make it look pretty nice. It's impressive what a good camera man can do. :D
    Turned out to be another easy trophy, as the other two cars in the class muffed their runs.

So, here's the "saga" of this year's Antique Nationals ......

Tom & I Stopped on the way for a great breakfast, and arrived as planned, after the check-in line'd gone down, but before racing had started. We needn't've worried, as the light rain'd delayed'em an hour & a half anyway. I rolled'er off the trailer & drove over to tech, breezed through (it's handy to have the car recognized ;)), and drove back to our pit.

Got in line for a qual run and wound up having to sit out an accident on the run in front of me. This proved to be a problem when the rag I'd tied around a tiny weeping leak at a radiator neck (one that isn't used on my system) had enough time to saturate, and finally drip on the asphalt. A handler spotted it and down flagged me. Off to the pit to cram the neck & cap full of silicon seal, and thence off to have'er re-teched. By the time I got back, and with the rain delay, I was too late to get in a qual. So we had lunch, and waited for our class elims call.

Very depressed to say that that accident had been Fred, who got loose on the cold track and stuffed his beautiful little "T" altered flattie into the left wall about 2/3 the way down the strip on his run while all I could do was watch. He's OK, but the "Flintstone"s done. He wiped out the front end & the left rear wheel, and parallelogrammed the left frame rail back by over 1/2". He was up on the right side so far, coming off the wall the second bounce, that I was sure he was going to try out his roll cage, but he steered out of it somehow, brought it back down, and to rest against the wall again. I was stuck sitting in my car in case they wanted me to move it, so could only watch while they went through the drill. They carted him off & checked him out there at the strip, and he was OK enough to decline anything more. He was against this very modern style turbo'ed "A" or "B" block midi banger rail that dialed 11.9, and ran it.

Once they called our class elims it was just me and the midi, for Comp Elim final. I lit my side of the tree, and he overshot his for a deep stage & DQ. So, we ran the run out without the handicap for a forfeited win. Lucky for me, as the 'Brick sang a sweet tune, breaking out a 13.0 on my 13.2 dial. And this with getting loose in first, having to steer out of second, and shutting down a tad early. Had it been a warm track she'd've likely gone 12.8 or better.

Thus, I have another trophy, but just the one video. :rolleyes:
    I'll upload it When I'm back in town Tuesday.

Lots of photos, from various sources, and I'll link'em in as well when I add the video.

We had a great time, ran the car like the scalded ape of proverbial fame, and came home grinning once again. :D

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  28. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

OK, finally got the video up on YouTube, so ...... here 'tis. Pretty close to the squirreliest run yet in this layout of the car. :D

29. spanners

spanners

Well, we are patiently waiting for the videos and fotos. This time I need some entertainment as I'm getting minor hand surgery done and can't do any spanner work on the car.
    No racing till mid August for us as it's our winter unless you are in Queensland and that's mostly for the big boy's toys.

30. spanners

spanners

That'd be right. Just finished posting and the videos turn up.