Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cheap weather striping replacement?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gleid, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

Hi! First of all, I apologize in advance if my English is bad or doesn't make sense sometimes. English is not my mother tongue.

Now to the matter at hand. I'm currently in the process of replacing the windows in all my doors on my 4 door '54 chevy sedan. They have cracked like so many of these windows.

It seems to me that the reason for this is the missing weather stripping that would go like inside the frame of the door. Since mine is old and detoriated, there is direct contact between metal and glass, and when I close the door the glass rattles in the frame and the cracks start to appear.

So, obviously it makes sense to replace the weather stripping when I replace the glass. I've looked around, eBay and Ecklers early chevy, the sell complete kits. BUT, the are really expensive in my opinion, especially when I have to add shipping overseas. Since this items ships in large boxes. (and not to mention the low oil prices that makes the Norwegian crowns completely worthless compared to the dollar these days in terms of exchange value)

Therefore I was thinking of manufacturing my own. Does anyone on this forum have any tips or experience on how to make a cheap replacement?

I am thinking it should be possible to get some "felt like" material similar to the oem, cut it and glue it to the inside of the door frame. And before you get your coffee in your throat, my car is far from mint condition so some homemade "whatever works" stuff is not outrageous.

Again, any tips or tricks are very welcome! Thanks in advance!

_
    Anders
    Norway

2. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i would be heading to the salvage yards, looking for a late model part that I could glue/screw in. got to be something out there. rubber door/trunk seal too.

3. Budget36

Budget36

On my '59 Chevy PU, I pulled all the old rotted stuff out of the window channels, and laid in the "felty" side of velcro..it fit pretty well and was still fine for 7 or 8 years when I sold the truck.

squirrel and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

I was considering velcro myself! Great to hear that it actually works and lasts, I might do just that. Thanks!

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. oldolds

oldolds

That stuff is sold in lengths and is kind of universal. I would think that you could take some of the remains of yours to an automotive glass shop and there is something available that will work. In fact the replacement stuff I used to get at the local glass shop was made in Europe. 20 years ago

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. when asking for this,,proper name is "glass run channel" comes in 8 foot lengths.

Gleid likes this.
  7. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Top of window, left/right of window is glass run channel. Bottom of window is weatherstrip.

Velcro works on the inside, but for the outside where it has to accept water running down the glass, you should get something from the junkyard that has a workable profile.

I looked at using windshield wiper refills and windshield glue to rehab my outer side. Never did it, might or might not work.

Gleid likes this.
  8. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

Ok, thanks all. I am aware that I need some rubber strip on the outside, sadly I don't think wiper rubber will work due to the profile being wrong and it probably would just "curl" inwards when you lower the window.

My first consern is to prevent the new windows cracking up, and I will try the velcro "patent". I seldom drive the car in the rain anyway.

I will post my experience with the velcro as soon as I get around to it! Thanks again all!

9. oldolds

oldolds

I just looked there are over 19,000 listings for window channel on the dreaded ebay. Surely there are some in Europe. The price varies from way too much to just about right!
    You could also look in a junk yard. Large trucks is where I would look.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Gleid likes this.