Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Swapping '55-57 235 engine into a '54 chevy 210

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 68caddydaddy, Feb 13, 2016.

1. 68caddydaddy

68caddydaddy

Gearheads,

I'm really in doubt to buy a used '55-57 235 engine (manual 3speed) from a truck and swap it to my 54 chevy handyman. I know that I have to change the water pump. Swap the flexplate and flywheel from my 54 to make it fit to my powerglide . My concern is the engine mounts .... what troubles can I expect ...
    I also know there are companies who sell motor mounts. Please share the info you guys have

Attached Files:

2. dudley32

dudley32

I've never made that swap...but as a rule you can usually swap engines that close in date with stock parts. You're ahead of the game by already having the '54. Mounts can, also, usually be made, if even necessary...although I would have guessed it would be a direct swap....Go for it...!

3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

a 55-57 motor has not side mount provision that corresponds with those from a 53-54.

You'll have to mount it like 49-52 from the front.

4. R Pope

R Pope

Build front mounts that are as wide as the '54 mounts were. If you use the single front mount with the stock trans mount the engine will rock all over the place, mounted on only two points. The '55 has the bellhousing mounts where the '53 has a single rear mount on the X member.

5. Bakchoy

Bakchoy
    from georgia

6. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

On my 54 4 door sedan, this engine swap has been done (not by me), but there are new mounts on the sides as mentioned. I can post some pics if you are interested. It doesn't seem like you have to do any cutting etc in the engine room.