Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933 ford 5 window project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ynottayblock, Jan 26, 2016.

1. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Sometimes the stars align correctly and a deal falls into your lap.

My buddy is now the proud owner of this 1933 5 window project. He had the chance to buy it a couple years ago, but the price was too high (but still a deal) and the timing wasn't right, as me and him were finishing off a build and in the middle of another at the time. Well, after completing his 62 custom tbird and driving it for a couple years, the 33 came available again at a price you couldn't pass up. So the tbird went up for sale and has now found a new home. And the 5 window is now sitting in his shop, waiting its turn. Realistically we probably wont start any real work on it until the summer. This car has been around for quite some time, its probably been off the road for close to 10 years, but the previous owner was in a very old hot rod club that is still around to this day. She has seen better days, lots of cobbled together wiring, some interesting choices on the steering, and the worst exhaust system ive ever seen. Not to mention the worst interior I have ever laid eyes on (modern bucket seats with Nos (the brand) seat covers, and literally everything else was wood panelling, we already stripped that out and burned it all.

So he sold this:
    [​IMG]

To get this (with a wad of cash left over)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All steel body, fiberglass fenders, 1933 ford frame. Body is in great shape minus the inner doors being hacked to shit to install power windows. The roof insert was welded over the factory insert structure, which is a bonus as we want to run a custom vinyl insert. So far the plan will include, ditching the fenders, putting the roof insert back to stock, a Y-block for power, and im doing my best to convince him to give it a reasonable chop. I have a quick sketch started of the direction we are going to probably head:
    [​IMG]

They are still out there folks.

2. Body looks pretty damn solid. Nice score!

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool project - sounds like a good plan - sketch looks good

4. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Aj the body is super solid, the doors are solid with no patches and the quarters are good. It will need a new floor and subrails I think, and new wheel wells as they glassed the fenders to these ones. The firewall has been cut out to fit the Sbc so that will need to be replaced. But for the most part shes in good shape considering it spent the last couple years outside uncovered

5. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

That is a nice coupe to start a project, your buddy did well.

6. brady1929

brady1929

Cool hot rod project

7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ooooo baby! That is a nice one. You sure about ditching the wood paneling??

Post lots of pics.

-Abone.

8. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Nice coupe -- great upgrade from the 'bird.

9. Given that we're up here in Canada, that should like pretty minor stuff. The last 33/34 coupe body I looked at was in about 13 pieces, and only about 7 were usable. I'll be watching for this one to come together. Is this your same buddy that pitched in on your Tbird?

10. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Yup same buddy (Ian). We did his t-bird, my t-bird and now we are going to try and tackle this bad boy. I am looking forward to alot less bodywork on this, it probably has a 1/4 the surface area as a tbird.

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Think twice before installing a y block in that. We tried installing one into a 32 a while back and decided against it. Space was definitely an issue at the firewall. Nice car. I'm jealous.

12. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

The y-block is a guarantee. Im not too worried about space as the firewall was hacked up to get the sbc in there. I've seen a few 33-34's with yblocks in them, so I'm not too concerned.

13. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Good save boys.

Wood panelling and electric windows eh? Some peoples kids...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Nice body and a good score.....The Y block will fit you will just need a shoe horn to install it.
    Should be a fun build for you after doing the birds.

15. Looks like a solid start!

16. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Funny thing is this was an old hot rodder who owned this, Im trying to find out how long he had it. It has been a hot rod for quite some time, and I would guess it got updated sometime in the late 80's early 90's. Im curious to see a previous version of this car if photos exist.
    I can tell without asking that this guy was a woodworker, we must have pulled out a couple hundred robertson screws so far.

Yeah its going to be a nice change of pace from doing a couple big tbirds. Going to have to learn alot on this one.

Old-Soul likes this.
  17. The 33/34 wheelbase is 6" longer than the 32 (112" vs 106"). Off the bat, that'll give a little room over the 32.
    For my 34 frame, we pushed the front crossmember ahead 1.5" to make room for the Olds, giving a total wheelbase of approximately 113.5". It was an easy way to cheat, especially without a hood or fenders to worry about, and personally, I like the relation of the grille shell to the frame horns better. I know the 33 shell is different than the 33/34 commercial shell, but here's some pictures for reference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the hijack. Just giving some ideas on making space for that Y block.

kidcampbell71 and ynottayblock like this.
  18. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

LOOKING - GOOD - & THE AT PICS -- SHE WILL LOOK BAD - ASS - :D :cool::cool:

19. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

YEP , A HAIR - CUT - & SHE WILL LOOK GOOD - HAVE FUN - :D:cool::cool::cool::D:D ZOOM ZZZZOOOOOOMMMMM

20. Flashback58

Flashback58
    from Tucson Az.

Cool to see another y-block agitated hot rod, especially another 33!

Can't wait to see how you make'r fit!

Brant.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Floyd Lippencott III

Floyd Lippencott III

Please don't take this the wrong way, and it certainly doesn't matter in the long run, but I think that may be a '34. At least it has '34 doors. Great score either way!

22. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

no offence taken, I have a feeling it is a mix of parts. It was registered as a 33 but I have a feeling it was originally a 34 body with 33 front sheet metal.

23. Indented on the top of the cowl for the hood sides to rest in also.

24. Floyd Lippencott III

Floyd Lippencott III

BTW, I'm a Y-block guy at heart. Here's what should go under the hood of that coupe. Ranchero Engine.jpg

25. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

26. Hey Brent, cool find for Ian for sure. Funny story, just bought a '33 roadster [project] myself !

27. And YES on the chop!

28. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

IronFord likes this.