Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model B motor Trans adapter.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rexrogers, Feb 10, 2016.

1. rexrogers

rexrogers

I did a search for an adapter for the Model B motor to a 39 trans and the one cling's list and the other ones offer is for the model A block and not the B block.

Do you change the flywheel housing and flywheel to a model A and modify the model b oil pan?

My question is does someone make an adapter for the b block.

Or do we start the search for a model b Trans?

On a quick inspection It doesn't look like the 39 gear set will go in a b trans we have a Model b Transmission at the shop for another project for reference.

I have an Murphy overhead conversion on a model b block We are trying to find transmission to run behind it, and if there is an adapter out there it would save some time on getting it up and running.

2. alchemy

alchemy

I've never done it, but plenty of guys say the later gearset and top tower will fit in the B trans. Will require the assembly to be done in a different order. Check MacVP's posts for the proper info, as I'm sure he's described it here on the HAMB. If you can't find it, give him a call.

3. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

I have an ANSEN adapter. Not sure if you can find anyone making something currently. The engine is a model B with a Cragar overhead, 39 trans.

4. I have 40 gears and a 39 shifter top in my Model B trans. Assembly is a little different but it does work.

5. oldsplicer

oldsplicer
    from mexifornia

6. oldsplicer

oldsplicer
    from mexifornia

Trim B pan and use A flywheel housing and A adaptor

7. Mac VP

Mac VP

For ease of setup use a B transmission case. The B trans was the same as the 32-35 V8 internally, so if you didn't mind the early style synchro you could just refresh it as stock. If you want the later gearset with the improved 39-48 synchro, you'll have to have the entire 39-48 gearset.....and the 36-39 shifter tower with the 3" shift fork......and a 36-39 type shifter lever.

The later gearset will fit in the B case but it requires a modification in assembly. If you want to keep the B type parking brake lever, buy or fabricate the mounting bracket to fit on the shift tower.

Dannerr, LOU WELLS and stillrunners like this.
  8. rexrogers

rexrogers

Thanks for the information, It has been a huge help!

We have two projects in the shop right now one is 32 pickup with a model B motor and we are recommissioning the truck and plan on keeping everything stock. I think We will see about putting the later gearset in the model b case for that one.
    We have a few later gear sets around the shop for test fitting and assembly. I'm putting together a parts list and will get some bits and pieces coming from Vanpelt's on Friday.

Our other shop project is a 29 roadster with the Murphy overhead valve conversion on the B block. I don't have a transmission for this car yet so it kinda depends on what i can find in the next few weeks either a model b trany or modify the oil pan etc.. and put the Adapter and a 39 box that we have here behind the motor.

9. Mac VP

Mac VP

Rex, we're closed on Fridays, so call the first of the week if you can't catch us today.

10. The final step comes when you shorten the later shift lever, rethread it for the gearshift ball, bend it to the right shape and have a butler finish applied. Note that there were two shapes available for the levers. The early gearshift levers came out of the top of the transmission for a few inches, bent and then continued straight until the gear shift ball. The later levers had a gentle curve over the lower end of the lever. The best place to see a picture of these is in the instruction manual for the vehicle. The diameter of the later lever at the point it is cut off will be larger but it is not noticeable.

Charlie Stephens

LOU WELLS likes this.
  11. I want to see some pics of that Murphy head. That's a brand I don't know

12. rexrogers

rexrogers

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455305025.106768.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455305047.623468.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455305064.537913.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455305080.183847.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455305093.782959.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455305110.381822.jpg

I don't know anything about the head. The motor was built 10 years ago by a guy in Texas. I will try to track him down and see if I can get some engine details

13. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

14. rexrogers

rexrogers

I am on the hunt for a model B trans. I had a guy off the HAMB give me a call on one last week but i misplaced his number! I have made a few local phone calls, no positive leads yet.

15. If you are going to send it somewhere to rebuilt see if the rebuilder has a core. Mac in post #7 would be a good person to rebuild the trans. The shipping you save would probably pay for the core. Are there any local rebuilders that you trust? Also try advertising in the local Early Ford V8 Club chapter to see if there is anything local. Are you looking for a case to put later gears into or a complete trans?

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  16. rexrogers

rexrogers

I haven't called van pelts yet. If I can at least find another case the I will need two rebuild kits from them for the two banger projects in the shop.

17. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Seems a shame to "modify" a good Model B pan to use the inferior Model A flywheel housing which probably has cracked in the years of service. Model B pan fixed the long running bad design of the Model A engine-trans. In this area the early V8 trans is pretty common while the B trans case, the essential part of that assemblage, is a bit tougher but far from rare. Been getting calls for B cases but holding on to what I have while looking for decent pans to use behind my hot fours.

18. rexrogers

rexrogers

We are sending a B trans case and a 38 shift tower out yo Vanpelts next week he is going to set it up with a set of 39 gears for us