Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Inside a Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, Feb 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bchctybob

bchctybob

Ok, the other projects are running and the weather is nice so I'm finally getting back on my '40 Willys Pickup gasser. The truck looks mid to late '60s style with a blown 392 and big window polished Halibrands all around. I'm at the body and paint stage. The outside of the cab has been stripped to bare metal, the metal work is done and primed with DP-90. It's the inside that I'm not sure what to to with.
    From the photos you can see that it has a significant amount of the factory red primer, still in good shape, some bare metal and a little surface rust in some areas. The outside will be a light metallic blue. I'm not going to paint the inside of the cab like the outside. The dash may be body color but I'm leaning more towards an all black interior.
    So what should I apply to the inside of the roof and back panel that will look good until I get around to getting all of the interior upholstered? It may be running a long time before the budget recovers enough to allow any upholstery. In earlier times they used Zolotone but not as much as fabricated aluminum panels took over in the mid to late '60s.
    I was thinking of primer followed by a paintable undercoating. or maybe just flat POR 15? Spray on bed liner? Any better ideas?
    IMG_0448.JPG IMG_0449.JPG

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you paint it white it would make it easy to see inside and if you are worried about weight then paint only.

loudbang likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

definitely NOT bedliner crap.

I painted the inside of my Chevy II with red primer, just like original....I used Nason red oxide acrylic lacquer primer. Cheap, sort of durable, looks right, etc. I have no intention of upholstering the inside of the car. Although I did cut the doors in a way that I could add door panels to them if I want.

[​IMG]

-Brent-, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  4. fatkoop

fatkoop

why not zolotone?

Speed Gems likes this.

5. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I was just going too ask the same thing.

6. bchctybob

bchctybob

I Zolotoned inside parts of my '50 Stude pickup. Without clear it flakes off, with the clear coat it looked kinda yellow-ish. I had to do it twice and it was disappointing either way.
    Jim, your car is pretty much what I was thinking with the glossy dash and door areas. The Willys pu has the same painted areas on the doors. I'll probably go with flat black on the floor and vertical panels though.
    One of my neighbors did the bedliner stuff on the inside of his doors and the back of the cab. It looks ok but I'd hate to be the one who has to scrape the stuff off later.
    I used light gray Rustoleum on the inside of my Falcon years ago and it looked great. It won't give me the look I'm after for this car though. Probably a little cooler waiting in the hot summer sun in the staging lanes.......
    Any other recommendations for paint/material? If I use an etching primer do I have to take the surfaces down to bare metal or can it go over it as is with a good clean and sand? What about the POR stuff? I'm wanting to stop or slow the rusty areas. I don't do this painting stuff often enough to keep up with the latest materials and processes.

7. squirrel

squirrel

heh....latest processes and materials, on a car that is supposed to look like it's 50 years old!

That's why I used lacquer primer. The glossy stuff is acrylic enamel.

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Zolotone comes a couple of different ways. The trunk paint that comes in spray cans, will loosen and come off when exposed to water, or damp conditions. The good stuff, that is sprayed inside of aluminum drift boats, is water-base and very rugged, applied with spray a gun.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  9. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yeah, I get what you're sayin'. Times like this I wish I would have kept all the old cans of paint and primer that I tossed when I moved outa L.A. Living in sunny Ca, when I go to the paint shop and ask questions it sounds like the guy is speaking some other language. It's only a couple of surfaces, I'm probably over thinking it. It's just that its a nice car and it deserves that little extra attention at this point.

10. squirrel

squirrel

The guys at the paint store think I'm nuts, but they got me the stuff I wanted.

11. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yeah Marty, the first time I did it was the rattle can trunk paint and the bits rubbed off when dry and ran off when wet. So I hit my local auto paint store and they gave me - "spatter finish" in quart cans. Strange to spray, kind of a lacquer/water mix, and the kit/instructions required the over coat with the clear. It looked good when I sprayed it but the clear discolored the lighter elements of the "spatter" making them yellow-ish after a few months. Probably still had the wrong stuff.....
    It was too bad 'cause I've always liked the Zolotone look in the right car.

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

Guys in our store just think I'm old and outa touch with the current reality.

13. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Ol' thread, But if it was mine, I'd epoxy first, an put whatever finish lacquer primer to achieve color desired, Till paint later....02

14. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Couldn't find POR-15 in white but found it in gray to put down in my 64 Chevelle trunk pan, before squirting it with
    gray/white splatter paint.
    Did find POR-15 in clear if you want to protect it but keep the character.
    Makes me think that, wonder if I could apply over the splatter OER paint rather than the rattle can clear.

15. ...I've faked Zolotone before, spray flat black or dark grey,...then get a spray can of aluminum or white and spray from about a foot away,..., don't shake it up much and spray, it'll come out in splatters if your lucky,...or maybe I just got lucky, but I've done it numerous times...test first on somethin else...can't really screw it up.