Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Stupid question maybe but explain hot rod or cutsom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frank280ZX, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank280ZX

Frank280ZX
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Wageningen
    1. A-D Truckers

I have question, i like old cars and hot rods.
    But when is something considered a hot rod and when is it a custum? Are there guidlines for this?

I have my 64 el camino i see it as custom

The 49 Poncho.. (here still running when i just bought it on a sunday drive with a frien in his Laro LW)

032.JPG

Well that is something else:

IMG_2930.JPG
    This is the subframe mock-up to replace the old sub frame, I have not started the bodywork yet.
    Its a complete scratch built new frame with complete front and rear suspension ( and driveline) out of a 1999 XJR.

Is this a custom or a hot rod? Is there a build date that makes it dirrfent?
    Please dont shoot me .. learning on the job here ;)

Model T1 likes this.
  2. m.kozlowski

m.kozlowski

There are propably many explanations, usually taking modified '30 - '48 cars as hot rods, '49-'64 as customs, with a lot of exceptions. To make it simple, hot rod = goes fast; custom = looks good :)

Model T1 likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

A hot rod is a car that has been modified to improve it's performance (and looks). A custom is a car that has been modified to change it's appearance.

(notice the subtle difference?)

4. aaggie

aaggie

I think a Custom would be described as a purpose built vehicle based on a factory produced model that incorporates modifications to the body, chassis and trim. The purpose would be to express an individuals preference or taste.

Model T1 likes this.

5. Stay tuned. This could get interesting.:):rolleyes:

Stu D Baker likes this.
  6. On a overall generalization, any time you change something from its original state, you've customized it.
    As Squirrel mentioned, changes that relate to performance are generally "hot rodding".
    But forget the labels and enjoy working on your ride.

wicarnut and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. belair

belair

Customs are smooth and will not hurt you. Hot rods have sharp edges and will.

8. 117harv

117harv

9. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Customs are for getting girls, hot rods are for getting rid of them.

Bandit Billy and Model T1 like this.
  10. Model T1

Model T1

I've never owned a CUTSOM. But when trying to copy the "LITTLE PAGES" customs I did end up with slight customs.
    As I swapped engines and running gear, lightened the cars, and swapped wheels, I blended in custom and hotrod, sort of creating a fast custom.
    I'd say with your plans you are creating a traditional non traditional modern hotrod custom.
    No matter what the individual's tastes, having fun and getting active is all that matters. Paint it pink or flat black primer and don't worry about what the rest of us call it.

11. Model T1

Model T1

Yes and no. I depends on the girl. I've know lots of fast girls!

12. Ithought Hot Rods were for getting the scorn of the girls parents and quick getaway:D.

13. wicarnut

wicarnut

Looks like you have the idea and spirit of "Hot Rods & Customs" Enjoy the hobby and the people involved. Welcome to the HAMB and there are guidelines posted for the different thread groups, read them, alot of knowledge and experience here. Good Luck with your projects !

14. Around here, these are the only definitions that matter. Our focus is on hot rods & customs built in a style representative of 1965 and earlier...this is not a catch-all old car forum.

Don't know what a traditional rod or custom is? Take a few moments and read the featured articles on the Jalopy Journal main page, search the *History* tags here on the HAMB, or grab a copy of TRJ, Hop Up, or some vintage "little books" and educate yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.