Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lame power plants.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Feb 1, 2016.

1. bashcraft

bashcraft

I don't think that you can beat a sbc so I run a 327 in my daily driver '65 C10. I am also installing a 1950 Caddy 331 in my '48 Fleetmaster now just because I wanted an earlier traditional style v8 in it.

Attached Files:

2. Channel49

Channel49

20160109_154155_resized.jpg I'll chime in here!
    Although I do understand that the OP was just wanting to see something unique and different than your average bolt-on SBC'd Rod, I also understand that not everybody has a ton of money to throw around for some cool, rare or badass motors. The SBC is the least expensive, most bang for the buck and most widely available engine on the planet - bar none! Easy to build, easy to get power, easy to get parts for.

Anyways, here's my original 1949 Flahead V-8 with stock carburator. 100 horsepower if I'm lucky!
    Can't see much of it but I promise you, its black and boring looking. LOL 20160109_154220_resized.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  3. Boon BA

Boon BA

'58 283 SBC with some cool '57 Lincoln MK II covers. Keeps a lot of folks guessing. And it IS traditional to put other valve covers on an old SBC.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I'm lame and cant post pics.

5. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

here's my lame engine.. 33fcoupe 014.JPG Not!

6. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Irony: a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result

Bearcat_V8 and Max Gearhead like this.
  7. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I am really enjoying all the pics in this thread. I don't have anything against anyone's mill. However I do understand the OPs perspective.

Last weekend this older guy stops and starts talking to me about old cars just as I was about ready to leave for a joy ride. I offered him a ride and he hopped right in. We cruised around for a while and he told me turn here turn there and go down that alley. I pulled up at this little garage door and he jumped out. Opens the garage door and he shows me this beautifully done 90s street rodded 40 Ford. The paint was an ox blood and the inside was a beautiful reddish brown leather with beige stitching. He did a lot of subtle detail work that you would only notice if you really looked. He did all of it himself in this very tiny garage. He walked me around the car and showed me everything. I could tell he was really proud of it. He made no mention of what was under the hood and never went near it. I pressed him a little about his plant fully expecting a 24 stud flatty. He mumbled it's just a crate almost embarrassed, I felt bad for asking. I told him it has got to be more reliable and fun than mine, I am about ready for a rebuild.

8. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Although Lincoln valve covers are among the most beautiful ever made putting Ford valve covers on a Chevy isn't just lame it's blasphemy!

loudbang likes this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those Lincolns are the best ones I've seen on a SBC since the Oldsmobiles...with the wires on top....

10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Engine curbside.jpg
    Mouse power in for the '31 A. I'm liking the photos too so quit the bickering and post photos
    Note to self, loose that made in China chrome oil fill cap with something not so lame.

11. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LAME! - 70 High Comp. Mopar 340
    20151213_133145 (Medium).jpg

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  12. AmishMike

AmishMike

Hobby started with guys + old, cheap parts to build a fast fun ride. Been to a junk yard ( pick a part place now ) to find a flathead or hemi or old Olds? Some of us do it without a phone call to order the latest "must have". Easy to find & cheap to build lots of HP - 350/350. I had a Ford 300 six ( love 6's ) + 4 speed but now a couple 350s for future projects and a 454 ( 496 ) in current toy ( all pulled from cars on way to junkyard ).

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

??? Did this kid spend alot of time, work, and money on this 10 year old Camry? i really appreciate and like to read most of porknbeaner's posts, but this one just has me confused enough to ask.... No offence, but i don't understand Your point.

14. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

All i am sayin' is that it doesn't take any effort, or pride to turn the key on some 10 year old import and i have no clue what the heck You are trying to say? ...i am just totally confused

15. prpmmp

prpmmp

Went from this.[​IMG] To this! [​IMG] Pete

16. 302 going in a '48 Ford F4.
    IMG_1930.JPG IMG_1943.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  17. RmK57

RmK57

Gotta do what you gotta do to make it stand out. Otherwise no one would give it it a second glance.

18. small blocks are so lame ;)

Attached Files:

loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  19. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I agree, way too many LS motors these days.

Fire Power for me.

IMG_1422.JPG

Air Cleaner is lame but it's just a temp.
    IMG_1425.JPG

IMG_1426.JPG

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I predict that someday, we'll be seing LS engines hiding under Firepower rocker covers.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. like the kid who doesn't have the right brand of cloths to be one of the cool kids, or in our instance, doesn't have the right mill, he may have invested all he could afford in the Camry. It may just well be his pride and joy.

Look at it this way, if it is condescending for me to look down my nose at a fella running a crate motor (GM or otherwise) because I just happen to own a balls to the walls 394, it is just as condescending for me to look down my nose at a kid in a Camry because I just happened to luck myself into an A sedan.

We all live in glass houses and sometimes we go out of our way to prove it.

If you look at this thread in the proper light it is a teaching tool. It can help any of us even me to learn a trick or two.

chevyfordman and volvobrynk like this.
  22. Yep nothing any more lame then someone stuffing a high winding 340 in a tub. LOL :D

340HilbornDuster and volvobrynk like this.
  23. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

If the OP thinks he sees a lot SBCs, wait til he realizes the LS-series of Chevrolet engines is being swapped into EVERYTHING at an alarming rate --> from show cars and drifting cars to sand rails and street cars and race cars of all kinds. It is a great engine. However, most of this is OT.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  24. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

I'm not trying to be argumentative or an ass. I'm trying to come from a good place. You know the other guy's shoes.

My point got twisted. All I meant is the car in that photo is a HOT ROD and someone built or bought it with their time and money. They wanted something other than a common everyday car and got into this hobby. Be inclusive and not exclusive. In plain english. DON'T BE A DICK. In the future on all the new "Is Hot Rodding Dying?" threads. Post a link back to this thread to see one reason why.

It is STILL Jr High clicks all over again. Cool kids vs the Dweebs and Nerds and we all attend the same school. Why crap on them for no other reason than to feel superior? I am sure every HAMB member knows what a "Cool" engine is and would LOVE to have one. It is just not in the cards for most. Should they not even build a car? Like it was mentioned in a story above should they be shamed and made fun of so much that they would rather leave the Rod in the garage than be seen in public with it? Some people actually care what other people think and say about them. Because so much is invested in a Rod a some people take it VERY personally.

Again what is a Hot Rod? To some the frame and body is just there to carry the "Cool" engine around. To others the frame and body are the "Cool" part and the engine just gets the car around reliably. Most think it is a combo of both points of view leaning to one side or the other.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  25. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Yep. It is just like the flathead V8 was 65 years ago. 50 years from now todays 10 and 20 year olds are going to be arguing about how they put a LS in a RX7 drift car back in the day. History repeats itself. A smart man would be buying cheap LSs and stockpiling them.

26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Clothes. It is spelled clothes. Not cloths.......

Pocket Nick likes this.
  27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Damn right…… Maybe this should be kissed goodnight and put to bed.

loudbang, Dan Hay, thirtytwo and 4 others like this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Good night Johnboy.

29. Nice looking engine, but why aren't you using a proper 3x2 intake instead of that goofy and performance-robbing adapter?