Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for a Source for 1940 Ford Brake Shoes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by stowe, Feb 9, 2016.

1. stowe

stowe

Hello I Am looking for a source to purchase brake shoes and cylinders for my 27 build. I have not been able to find a source. Mac's did not show them in their catalog. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Van Pelt sales has them.Plus Mac is a straight up guy and knows old ford stuff,unlike some of the early ford vendors. Bob

warbird1 likes this.
  3. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. ironrodder

ironrodder

You may have luck with NAPA. They have a catalog showing most types of brake shoes. Use to be easy to find a garage that could reline your old shoes.... Not so much anymore.

5. If you put your general location in your profile someone might recommend a nearby place.

Charlie Stephens

X38 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Mac VP

Mac VP

patmanta and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Sacramento Vintage Ford

8. Frank280ZX

Frank280ZX
    from Wageningen
    1. A-D Truckers

i know portefield in long beach carries almost anything in better compounds or can reshoe the existing hardware in any compound.
    I went by there once on a trip to get shoes for the vintage 350 Shelby racer of a friend

9. You should also be look for a place to arc the shoes. Maybe the source you buy them from can arc them or maybe you will need a machine shop. In either case they will need your drum diameter to get the correct arc. Would still like to know your general location.

Charlie Stephens

10. if you have the cores, you can reline them yourself, I have done many sets. got the lining from Mac's

11. Are you just looking for linings or are you looking for a place to have linings installed on your cores or do you also need the cores?

Charlie Stephens

12. I checked last night, Mac's has them for $53 per axle, another $50 core.

13. Mark T

Mark T

I have cores if you need them.

14. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

befor you order them, check and make sure wich shoes you need. some have a full round hole, some have flat sides on the hole, get the ones for your backing plates.

15. Mart

Mart

Look to see if your backing plates have the two 3/4 af nuts at the six oclock position. Those are the 40 type that take the shoes with the round holes. If no nuts, and sort of riveted pin ends, then the later style with the elongated lower holes with the flats.
    You have to adjust the earlier type on eccentrics, the later type are self adjusting at that position.

Mart.