Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shoebox Ford trim ideas

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Big Blue Car, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Big Blue Car

Big Blue Car
    from Orlando FL

So it’s time for some help from the H.A.M.B, I have finally gotten some shinny paint on my 50 and now I need some advice. I originally wanted to keep the car clean of any clutter at all so I shave almost everything. This has a nice clean look but with the color my wife and I chose it looks like we need something to break up the mass space on the side of the car and give a little movement and detail.

So this is what I am asking for ideas on. I think side trim is in order but where to begin? Do I use the stock 50 trim full length (Like Yaril’s car)? Do I just install the rear ¼ trim with the front spear on the door (Like the other pic below)? If I use stock trim what spear or tips do I use (straight, the fatter custom, or the Ford custom)? Are there other trims I can use (like the purple car attached, what pieces are these)? I am open to using other years and makes of trim, even piecing things together using 2 and 4 door trim to get a unique look, the only note to that is I really don’t want to get into modifying the trim its self too much.

In addition to the trim I’m not sure if my current hubcaps are really acceptable any longer (I know that the wheels must be painted I was thinking black). So some input on potential hubcaps would be great as well. I currently have 56 ford hubcaps. I really like the 57 Lincoln Premiere hubcaps, but again maybe not, Wife suggested maybe a wire wheel hubcap.

So let’s get the creative juices flowing. Maybe if I’m luck some (possibly James D) will photoshop the options… ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454368914.113848.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454368938.610385.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454368964.634990.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454368979.263154.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454368991.733080.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454369006.988893.jpg

2. Slopok

Slopok

55 Chevy trim works great, sorry no pictures. Say no to the wires.
    If you can get ahold of February 2015 Street Rodder there is one done in a similar color to yours called the Brown Recluse, check it out if you can.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpg image.jpg We had the same dilemma , had all sorts of trim, custom , buick, original etc. but as it's my wife's car she says no trim so that's what we are going with. The original trim holes are an odd shape a round with flats top and bottom.

4. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Squablow

Squablow

I've got a real nice set of the '54 Olds hockey stick trims that would look great on there, was a popular swap in it's day.

I think your hubcaps are fine, although the '57 Lincoln ones would be even better. The front bumper placement seems odd to me though, is it just mocked up like that, or?

6. Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  7. Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  8. 55 Chevy, 55 Pontiac,.....or leave it alone

9. fredrik49

fredrik49
    from Sweden

min ford.jpg
    Here is my old coupé i buildt. I used the Ford Custom trim! Best of luck on your cool custom!

10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You know those designers at Ford in 48 were not dumasses. They knew where to place a piece of chrome. If it works, it just works sometimes there's no need to reinvent the wheel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Above is two very nice cars, I like them both but the short chrome just does not work for me. It looks like something is missing, like something fell off. Sorry both are very nice cars. Personally I like all or none or something else entirely like Buick trim.

With that said it's your car and Your opinion and taste is all that matters for your car.

11. flathead4d

flathead4d

I don't have it on mine but, it's pretty hard to beat the 53 Buick chrome trim.

12. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I think that the answer you are looking for lies in the window trim......
    The chrome window garnish on the outside makes all the difference in the world. 90's streetrod turns to a more traditional ride almost instantly and it is very often overlooked. I would put all the stainless around every window it came on and then decide if you still need a piece of side trim, which then id vote for early 50's Desoto.

13. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

try the paint divider trim off this car.....clean and simple.....

[​IMG]

14. Big Blue Car

Big Blue Car
    from Orlando FL

I know I should know but I guess I'm being lazy, but what is this car?

15. Big Blue Car

Big Blue Car
    from Orlando FL

Thanks for the feedback guys...

16. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

How about Buick side trim made to fit believe I used 55 the photo is another combo I was trying before the flames and black80 inch lakers DSC00920.JPG

Bandit Billy likes this.
  17. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

If you want to go with a scallop, check out the '59 Pontiac Catalina:
    [​IMG]
    Nice sweep and not as heavy-looking as the Buick trim.
    Why not post a full side-view photo of your car and let the Photoshop artists here have at it?

18. Slab sided customs really need side chrome. Go to Rik Hovings Custom car Photo Archives and you will find many examples.

Mick

19. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

A simple, but effective chrome strip comes from a '53/'54Dodge. It works well, and is about the same size as the shoebox...so it fits perfectly.
    [​IMG]
    Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    Dyno Dave likes this.
  20. Here it is with the Dodge trim and one with something a bit different....

dodge2 trim.jpg 3.jpg

21. A friend here in town built a nice shoe box custom several years back. Shiny red with custom grill, frenched lights and all that.
    He actually painted side trim on it! Don't laugh!
    It looked good. He used the right colors and from a few feet it was hard to tell it was faux. Going down the street ya couldn't tell any difference....

22. zefa46

zefa46
    from Bolton uk

I was looking at this option download (1).jpg download (2).jpg

23. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

How about a "reverse DeSoto" with the inner color in a subtle black-brown? The upswept angle won't be to everyone's taste, but I think it gives a little visual interest in an otherwise horizontal design. Trim 01.jpg
    Also added small bullets to the hubcaps for a simple upgrade.

24. It might be difficult to find nice side trim off of old cars nowadays. If you like the cove look, you could try 58-61 Corvette side trim. They reproduce so many Corvette parts, you may be able to buy them new.

Capture.JPG

25. KFC

KFC
    from UK

[​IMG]

My old shoebox with 52-54 Packard trim reversed

26. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

27. manyolcars

manyolcars

The Crestliner did it before the corvette was invented. crestliner.jpg pate5.jpg 58 Fords had the pointed one similar to vette

28. Turnaround

Turnaround

Kind of like them the way they are stock.

29. 55 Pontiac side trim looks good on a shoebox...I painted one for a guy back in 1958

30. superchiicken

superchiicken

the Packard trim is kool. I maybe trying it out but not reverse.