Register now to get rid of these ads!

2200 Drag Racing club day 6th Feb 2016

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by spanners, Feb 8, 2016.

1. spanners

spanners

G'day all. Just a quick spiel on our local club day at Sydney last Saturday. This is a members only day with about 65 entered. The day started with rain showers on the way to Sydney. Dang it, here we go again I thought but alas the morning brightened as we got closer to start time. Our barbeque lunch was brought forward so it became breakfast. While we were stuffing our faces with snags and fried onion on a bread roll ( all low calorie of course, yeah right), the track was being prepped. We took a vote on whether to proceed because once a car fronted the staging lights the $10,000 for track hire had to be paid. A bit of a risk with the dodgy weather but it was a unanimous vote to race.
    As it turned out we got 4 qualifying runs in plus 4 Chicago shoot out runs plus finals and grudge runs. The track was hired for eighth mile but they let us run quarter mile for grudge runs. The only downside was a 'drift school' had hired most of the pit area so we had to make do with a spectator area on the east side. Grass was a bit long and the road surface gravelly but most ended up liking it because the 'pits' overlooked the track.
    Here's a short vid I took coming back down to the staging lanes.

This is a run against a stroked V8 Holden Commodore. I ran against him in a grudge run later and done 'im like a dinner.

This is an example kiddies of why you drain the SU fuel bowls of stale fuel and concentrate after a couple of months off.

My first shoot out I had dialed 8.95. Broke out with a 8.93. Won the next 3 but didn't make the final because another bloke won 3 but closer to his dial in. Turned out a top day of racing.

Black Knight Racing likes this.
  2. Black Knight Racing

Black Knight Racing
    from Sydney Oz

We sent off our membership last week. Looking forward to some 1/8th mile racing close to home. I've told Em and Gerry to join up as well.

3. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Perhaps more hassle, but a prettier return road. :D

Retail fuel stabilizers work really well. We use'em for our Rose Parade float, which sits for months at a time as well.

I run Av Gas from a local small airport in the 'Brick, a bit pricey but doesn't go sour.

4. spanners,
    as always ,Thanks for the vids and love the return road! The scenery is a lot better than on our return road. LoL

5. spanners

spanners

Over here we don't have access to Avgas because the wowsers stopped it unless you fly a plane. Apparently the lead in it kills brain cells. Can't be killing the brain cells of drag racers now can we? What was I talking about?

6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Not advocating breaking any regulations, but if you have a friend or know someone who has a friend with an airplane, what happens behind hangar doors usually stays behind hangar doors. :rolleyes:

7. old sparks

old sparks

You can always be building a homebuilt airplane in your garage. We have the same rules but lead is good for top end lube. Specially the valve seats.

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Put a wing on your car, and call it a plane.
    Sorry, Sir, just couldn't resist. :D

Let me understand your comment. Is it that your gas is degrading, or shellacking up your carbs?

9. old sparks

old sparks

At my age, my gas is NOT degrading. They have a pill for the shellacking problem. I can hook you up if needed

10. spanners

spanners

The poor excuse for fuel these days doesn't last very long in storage as you know. Normally I would drain the fuel from the tank and use a syringe to suck the juice from the fuel bowls. Due to the Christmas slackness and working six days a week since, I neglected the fuel bowls. Sour juice, unhappy engine.
    The lack of concentration was entirely my doing.