Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Transmission Choices for SBC in 1935-37 Ford Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VCS, Feb 7, 2016.

1. VCS

VCS

Have a real "rookie" question. Planning on a running a SBC in a 35-37 Ford pickup (haven't found a cab yet but know what I want) with a stock frame.

What I am wondering is what transmission would be the best choice? Prefer a manual transmission and nothing fancy. Don't want to cut the frame too much as well.

Appreciate all the experience around here and looking to learn.

2. cometman98006

cometman98006

I've got a 350 turbo behind mine with a 3.09 Chev rear end and it works great, 2100 rpm at 60 mph. If you go with a high geared rear end you would probably want and overdrive trans.

3. Well if you want a GM 3, 4 or 5 speed of any kind it's going to take some frame work to get it in place. A little or a lot, what's it matter. The center of the X member needs to be worked over. Pick the best unit you think is out there and just make it fit. Been done a Dozen or more different ways already.
    The Wizzard

4. VCS

VCS

Thank you for the replies. I am not familiar with GM model types. Also any pictures of modified 35-41 frames showing installations would be much appreciated

5. Assuming your "small block" really isn't very big and you intend to drive it sanely how about a '39 Ford transmission with a standard speed shop adapter to the engine?

Charlie Stephens

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Probably the easiest to set up is the original style transmission. That style of transmission was upgraded to synchronized 2-3 in 1939. Ford trucks used a top shift version of this transmission to 1950 in the light duty and 1952 in the heavy duty. The 1939 Ford top shift was The Hot Rod transmission of it's day. This style of transmission allows the use of the original twist style clutch linkage.
    For this style get a Chevy to early Ford Bell housing adapter, Get a top shift open drive Ford Truck transmission F-1 or 42 up.
    If you want a Ford 3.03 get the same adapter housing and a Flathead to Ford 3.03 adapter Hogs Head. All of this stuff is available.
    I use the original 1950 LD 3 speed behind a warmed over 302 in my F-1. It does fine, 2nd gear is a blast. If you go easy with the clutch it is a fine choice.

Chevy to early Ford... needed for early ford trans or the following adapters to more modern manuals transmissions
    http://www.wilcap.com/wilcapstore.html#!/BH-307-EFM/p/54397258/category=14420222

Early ford Hogs head to GM trans
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Offenhauser-Standard-Chevy-Trans-to-Flathead-Adapter-Kit,35588.html

Early Ford Hogs Head to Ford 3.03 aka toploader
    http://modelengineeringco.com/bellhous.htm

8. Minor correction, the early Ford transmission was upgraded to synchronized 1-2, 2-3, and 3-2 (but not 2-1) in 1932 (note my Avatar, I have been shifting it since 1969 and I am sure I would have noticed) but the synchronizers were improved in 1939 making them the gears that everyone wants. The gears will fit in the earlier transmissions with the correct tower.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    F-ONE likes this.
  9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Thanks Charlie.

10. VCS

VCS

Thank you, my last car was a traditional 29 AV8 and I went the 39 transmission route. I would prefer to use something I could find on Craigslist or Pomona like a T-5 or Muncie M-20. Any suggestions about finding, fitting or adapting these type of transmissions to a SBC in a 35-37 Ford?

11. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you need a set of 39 ford pass car pedals and a t&f shifter for a gm Muncie 4 speed and you are good to go .39 pedals give you a straight shot to the clutch and the t & f shifter give you a top rail mount so you don't have to deal with any major 91A-2473-K_LRG.jpg shifter-1a.jpg shifter-1a.jpg shifter-3a.jpg modifications.

12. Remember with the easy to find transmission you are also looking for a new rear end, driveshaft and someone to shorten it, spring mounts and someone to weld them to the rear end, traction bars, transmission mounts, shifter, clutch linkage plus a few things that I probably missed. On the other hand, what are you starting with?

Charlie Stephens

13. amadeus

amadeus

I tried that set up with a muncie and it will not work unless you do some frame/pedal modifications. Best way will be to do it with a 62 C10 bellhousing that puts the clutch arm on the passenger side. There is hardly any room there.
    I just sold everything last month but have several pics and i still have the car with the sbc and muncie in my garage.
    The 39 pedals have a very small arm that doesnt give you enough "throw"(?)
    And finding a set that isnt beat to shit is very difficult, t&f shifter is very expensive as well.
    You can contact me if you want more info ( keep in mind im talking about a muncie gm 4 spd)
    The sbc to OG ford trans seems to have no adapting issues

Attached Files: