Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 52-54 fenderlip

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 63 Swede, Jan 31, 2016.

1. 63 Swede

63 Swede

I`m searching for the front fenderlip on Fords 52-54 models. Is it possible to get those as aftermarket parts? The EMS don`t have them but there must be some others that is selling new sheet metal for Ford/Mercury. Anyone out there who knows where i can find those parts? Carla

2. I'm not aware of anyone reproducing that part.

I would suggest finding another fender that you could cut out the piece you need,HRP

3. Are you trying to repair a stock fender? It actually sounds like your going to graph the lip to something else being you searching for just the lip. If so and you are talented enough to do the graph why not just build your own lip? I do that quite often using round tube, square tube and rectangle tube. It's NO Big Deal.
    The Wizzard
    Body work 001.jpg Body work 011.jpg Just welded solid 001.jpg Not bad; 001.jpg

4. I was fortunate enough that the front edge of my '54 Ford fender was in good shape,the rear not so lucky.

Sometimes fabrication is easy like the rear portion,in your case it's not impossible but will take a good bit of skill. HRP

[​IMG]

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

1952-54 Ford and Merc front fender lips are not being reproduced. Neither are the fenders.
    You'll have to buy some old fenders and cut them off. Also the Merc fender lips are not the same length as the Ford. Ford is shown below.

Attached Files:

6. Also the 52 and 53 fenders are the same but the '54 fenders are different.

The lips are probably the same. HRP

7. 63 Swede

63 Swede

To Pist-n-brake. Yes you'r right. I'm gonna use them on my 50 Chevy.
    To Hotrodprimer and 19Forty. I have been looking for some fenders but i don't wanna cut the lips from fenders that are in god shape but it's not easy to fine fenders in Sweden (of elsewhere i guess ) so it seems that i have to try and make them myself.
    cut in

8. 63 Swede; If your interested in trying I'll try to give you some coaching. It's really not hard for a Guy with Skills. Just know that None of us had ever done it before our First Try. Each time is a little of a Learning Curve, even for me.
    So the big trick is to make a good pattern. For me I use a 4' piece of .020 gauge 2" wide folded 90 degrees. Next I use my Shrinker = Strecher and make a pattern of the exact new shape I want. I don't have a photo of the Tin pattern but here is the new piece bent to the exact shape of the Tin one. The reason for working with a long 4' piece is so you can adjust as you go and have something to hold onto while forming. Know that the tube is 1/2" X 1" X .063 wall.
    Body work 001.jpg
    So to do this you need the Shape first then a Buck. And then you will make 2 exact parts on it in Flat form. Here is the Buck for this project. It's made out of 3/4" plywood. Notice on the right corner of where the buck is an extra piece that looks like it's just sitting there. It's not, it's a chock and a hold point. That ensures you place the part back in the same place each time you remove it as you go.
    Body work 010.jpg
    Once you have the radius you want and a matched pair then you do the top to bottom curve. Often I do that with 2 wood blocks and a rubber mallet. Trust me, it takes time and practice. You may not get it done the first time around. Make some test pieces, it's a learning curve.
    Then on this project I Tig welded the tin on the lower most edge of the opening and filed the weld off and did a metal finish. I could have just as easy welded it to the Top inside and left a raised lip like you want on your Chevy. Here is it partialy welded up before being put back on the actual Body.
    02-22-12 002.jpg
    Hope this helps some.
    The Wizzard

birdog likes this.