Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The "lost" pics of my Dad's '53 Studebaker

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sinister, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

The pan from my coupe was borderline trash. About the only savable part were the ends. Someone had separated it from the inner panel, too. The good news is it got traded to Russ for a heavy discount on my dash he's coating for me. He tried to talk me out of this one but no dice. I think he's using them for a Kustom build like you mentioned. He told me if I found him another one there would be no charge but he will have my dash done before I can find another one.

2. cometman98006

cometman98006

In 1959 when I got out of the army I bought a 54 stude in Galesberg Ill. and drove it home to Seattle. Loved that car with the 259 V8 and 3 speed. Unfortunately a drunk in a big Hudson spun out and hit me head on. I had it fixed but it was never right. I've owned a lot of neat cars both foreign and domestic but that Studebaker was one of my favorites. It's good to see that your getting one back on the road.

3. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I'm sorry to hear yours got munched, cometman. I think I'd have a hard time keeping my composure if that had happened to me.

I really lucked out with this parts car. By the time I get the doors and trans sold I should make back what I paid for the car. I've got a TON of stuff to haul to the swap meet this year so with any luck I could be in the market for a hemi by the beginning of Summer.

4. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

I am following your progress and am making a little progress lately on this 55 with 53 nose, 440 mopar motor, Had to order the 5/16 tapered screws like you were unable to find so I can get doors back right. redrilled the bumper brackets to get the bumper pulled in, cant find a decent grille insert so having to make grill inserts out of perforated metal, found that whoever did body work on trunk filled in the lock hole so I guess it will be a linear actuator. Still a bunch of seals and rear windows to put it. It was brought to me in two lumps and 6 boxes, no separated or sorted labeled parts some still lost. nose of 55 014.JPG stude nose and more 013.JPG

loudbang and Sinister like this.
  5. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Looking good, Randy. Any progress is good progress, I say. I like the idea and look of the perforated inserts and thought about it myself as I was missing so much stuff.

I have two sets of inserts now. The chrome is junk on both sets but you're welcome to my leftovers if you haven't found a set by then. Speaking of that, I need to remember where I packed away the ones that came with my car. Looks like your surrounds are in nice shape- lucky you! :)

Progress....

Pulled the grill inserts and brackets off the HT, along with the rear qtr stainless caps so I could get the bolts and clips. Now I can start getting my panels aligned so my doors close.

I took some time to get a better look at my grill surrounds and clean them up with some steel wool. The Right side is kinda ugly with a few cracks but nothing is completely broken or totally tweaked. The Left is in better shape but still has its issues.
    IMG_2464.JPG
    IMG_2466.JPG IMG_2465.JPG

Someday down the road when I buy a house I might make the attempt to sand cast a set to see if I can pull it off. Wayyyyyyy down the road...

I did a quickie repair on the end of the bumper filler piece so it at least it's headed in the direction it was meant to be. I wasn't going to spend all day on it so I primed it grey to get rid of the multiple 1/2 cans of primer I've collected.
    IMG_2469.JPG

Yeah, it's all junk, but it's clean junk! :)

If it doesn't rain tomorrow I might pull the tarp off the coupe and start fitting some parts.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

we had to find one surround after being quoted $500 to plate the forward section of the surround, yes the first 3/4 of a inch where the surround is raised would be $500 for the pair with the reast of the area I guess being fit to paint. No one even reallt wanted to powder coat saying the gas would leach out of the metal and blister the powder coat..
    The gauges in this 55 came out of another year and have 4 small gauges and 2 larger , as in speedo and tach.I had to make a thin spacer to keep the speedo and tach positioned as the holes were very close to the same size as the tach/speedo surround. The owner despises that 3/16 round ring that 1/16th shows around.
    I kept telling him what he thought was the back seat wouldn't fit in the car. Parts from this car were hidden in trunks of other cars in his brother's wrecking yard. The seats had been covered with a nasty brown corduroy hat came from a recliner factory near by. I am using the door panels made from the same material as something to lay on when the concrete in the shop sweats as it does here in the south. I also had to make block off plates for the indentations and heater in the floor pan as he wanted seats out of a late 90s Cadillac put in there. When I told him I would have to find someone with a serger to do the carpets he wanted to know what was wrong with new carpet sets. I guess I could cut and fill with the extra material that originally filled the holes. Kinda hand sew it.
    The 440 was built by a respected shop that has since closed due to death. Sounds good now that I've cut a truck pan to clear the steering tie rod, had a crossmember modified to have two tunnels for the pipes, and had a H pipe put in when the exhaust were made.
    This car had a 327 in it when the man bought it. A guy in south Mississippi spliced a 80s Chrysler 5th ave k frame (instead of welding tabs on the stude frame and bolting 5 th ave. frame on. But that was before Fat Man or anyone came up with a set up. I am no fan of the bent torsion bars as on Volares, Aspens, 5th aves etc. And the car was supposed to be ready to bolt the engine I when I got it. That was not the case. The 327 was a nice fit good power to weight and the car was running, had a cracked head when this idea took hold of someone. Or they had cracked their head. The 440 ought to be wild in this light car though. Not much of this applies to your build. And forgive me for rambling. This car was one of the most rust free cars I've seen. I've asked it for forgiveness, but I think we are starting to see eye to headlight now. cross members 002.JPG .
    I've had a lot of help from some of the Stude guys on here. And it's getting closer, closer...Had to angle the radiator to get a big enough unit to cool the 440. Many thanks to my brother who takes my drawings and make parts out of them. He's got a 57 Dodge I keep egging him about.

7. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Yikes! Randy! You've definitely had your hands full. I commend you on your progress. I'm curious now about the torsion bar front end and wondered how one of these would behave with that setup. These are really oddly sized cars- no wider than a VW and as long as a Monte Carlo. I'm sure that car is going to scoot right along with a 440. Make sure your door latches are snug :)

8. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Today the weather took a dump right when I got to the shop so I tried to make a pattern of the door panels when I noticed they had been recovered right over the top of the existing material. I was able to save the trim pieces and only broke one tab. It's too bad I can't save these but it gives me the opportunity to attempt to make a set. I've got far bigger fish to fry at this point so these can be my "Total Crap Weather" project. IMG_2470.JPG IMG_2472.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Progress...

There has been a break in the weather so I thought it would be a good day to take the tarp off the coupe and let it dry out. I swapped the 14in rims on the coupe for the 15in off the HT. Should be much easier to find tires now. IMG_2492.JPG

I also tossed on the missing sheet metal on the front, and for kicks set my surrounds and inserts in place for a photo or five. The bumper isn't bolted up tight, thus the gaposis. I need to get another damn headlight, sheesh IMG_2493.JPG IMG_2495.JPG IMG_2497.JPG

Didn't get much else done but it was great motivation to see what it will look like.

The next few days are supposed to be somewhat clear so I plan on taking advantage of it. Still have lots of parts to remove from the HT and would like to get my quarters lined up so my doors shut and latch properly.

Have a great weekend.

Chip

10. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Those Stude coupes are notorious for having the hoods fly open at speed. If you're going to use the stock hood latch, be sure to integrate some kind of safety cable or something before your first test drive. There will be related threads on the SDC forum, so you can search for one of those or you can start your own.

Sinister and loudbang like this.
  11. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

===========

Some folks consider that one of the finest power combos of all.
    I bet somebody over on Studebaker Drivers Club forum will be quite interested in it if you are interested in selling it.
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/

If you weren't 3100 miles away I might be, too.

I think Studebaker's early foray into complete gages was the Speedster, and looked like this, with a mechanical tach.
    http://www.wcrosby.com/studebaker/dash2.gif

regards,

Dan T

12. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Hi Chip,

I have read there is a correct sequence to successfully line things up, since the factory manufacturing tolerances were rather loose. I think it starts with the fenderless, hoodless body, and kind of builds out from there.
    http://www.raylinrestoration.com/TechnicalPages/BodyAlign.htm

13. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Thank you, Peanut
    I have heard this from several people now and I plan on taking this advice seriously. My hood is flawless and I'd probably be even more pissed if it came open and broke my new $500 windshield.
    I'm going to keep the other thrashed hood as well to practice some metal working skills and to have an extra incase it needs clearance for a couple carbs. Then I won't have to stress cutting a hole in my nice one.

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  14. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Greetings, Mr Dan!

Thank you for the links and info, my appreciated! I did do a bunch of research a while ago on dashes and gauges to see if I could ID the thing. It's for sure a aftermarket piece. It fits nice and snug in the hole and doesn't look out of place so I'm going to run it for now.

As for the panel alignment...
    I found the link you posted not long ago. There's A LOT of great info on Ray's restoration site. I was actually looking for info on a dual master/remote power brake swap and found the panel alignment link on accident, but good thing I did because I was in need of that info as well.

The 259...
    I have yet to see if this motor even turns over. I think I found a socket big enough to try, just keep forgetting about it because my list of things to do is still many miles in length. It would be a fun motor to keep but I have a AMC 401 (shhhh! :) ) and T400 laying around, too. All this might get sold to help finance a Hemi at some point If I come across one I can't live without.

dana barlow, 36 ROKIT and loudbang like this.
  15. 'Mo

'Mo

Speaking of Hemi-Studes, the Sanchez*** '53 was the first 200 MPH door-slammer, and inspiration (certainly) for the overly chopped AMT '53 Stude model car...

[​IMG]

...as well as my own (stagnate) '53 Champion.

[​IMG]

Road and Track Magazine once named the Stude as one of the 10 most influential Auto designs of all time.
    I won't argue with that!

Good luck with yours!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    loudbang, wedjim and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. providence. I've been looking for this thread.

17. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Hey 'Mo!- Thanks for the info and the pic of your project. I've determined that you need to be half nuts to want to own a Studebaker, lol- I'm ok with that.

Guess I could do a quick update...

My dash is done, just need to pay for it and bring it home. All my time has been consumed as I'm right in the middle of buying a house! Took me over three years but I scored a perfect house about four miles from the beach in Reedsport Or.

THIS! This right here.... garage1.jpg

My garage! I haven't had my own garage in 20 years. I'm so stoked. I won't get to move until the first week in Sept. so I have a lot to get done to prepare for my new adventure.

I'll keep you guys posted...

18. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Congrats on the new house......

19. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

IMG_2573.jpg
    I "borrowed" a couple snap-on moon discs and tried to align my quarters so I can do the tail lights and rear bumper. The tarp and bungie cords have done a lot of damage but at least I didn't have to sell it to buy the house.

dana barlow, loudbang, wedjim and 3 others like this.
  20. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Sometimes updates can be less than pleasant...

On the day of my scheduling of my home appraisal (which I waited three weeks for) the owners of the house abruptly terminated the contract and left the country, leaving everyone (including their agent) scratching our heads. Because I've been through this kind of shit before I was fully prepared and the only loss I took was a $400 home inspection. I still have a roof over my head and I'm still healthy- it's just back to square-one on finding a house. Life goes on...

I'm making zero progress on the car and in turn upsetting my friend who allows me to store it at his place. I have a long wait for the market to calm down and I don't have the extra $$ to toss at it so I think it's time to put it up for sale. Here is my biggest problem- I HATE selling. I hate every aspect of it. Gotta do what ya gotta do, right?

Anyway- I wanted to thank you guys for following and allowing me to share my stories. There will be more cars and more stories in the future for sure- I'm not done living, just keeping my priorities straight.

If you guys know anyone who is looking for a '53 coupe PM me. I'm not going to advertise it anywhere until next week- I have too much going on this week to deal with tire kickers. I'd really like to see this car go to a good home. It's worth it.

Chip

21. wayfarer

wayfarer

That sucks, Chip!

22. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Hey Jeff! Long time no see. Hope you are doing well!

Business is business, as they say. It doesn't help that I'm ultra-picky on where I want to live.
    I don't have to sell the car. I can have it stored in Spokane for free for however long I needed but even that isn't as much a issue as my physical condition. I can't take a hood off by myself anymore and can only get up so many times off a creeper before I lose motivation to the pain. THAT is the biggest suck of them all...

23. And so life throws another Curve Ball! I feel your pain, Chip, at all levels. Hopefully, it's just a temporary
    derailment and you will be back on track soon. We gotta get these last projects done while we CAN get up
    off the creeper!
    Hang in and hang on.......

24. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Thanks, ROKIT- Life has it's way of reminding us what reality is.

Good news, at least!

I paid Russ a visit and got my dash back today. He did a beautiful job on it. I'm blown away on how nice it turned out. Now I need to gather a few misc electrical components and I can attempt to make some progress.

I bet you want to see pictures.... ;)
    IMG_2641.jpg IMG_2640.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Progress-

First-
    I'd like to thank all veterans past and present for your service to this great county.

I spent the day with Jim prepping my dash for installation. We had a good day. It wasn't about the dash, or the car, but more about the friendship and being able to learn from each other.

Everything went together pretty smoothly. Jim rebuilt the 2-speed wiper motor which I broke almost instantly. We saved it and I took twenty tongue lashings before it was all over. Everyone of them with a smile.
    It was a good day. IMG_2651.jpg IMG_2652.jpg

Breakfast first thing in the AM and if there's no rain it can go into the car. Contemplating taking the windshield out to save myself $500. We will see how I feel tomorrow.

loudbang, 36 ROKIT and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will have to watch this build as I would like to have a 53,I use to play in one on a relatives farm and was hauled away before I could say anything. A local junkyard has a 2 door wagon that I will have to look over much closer to see if its worth saving.

27. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I totally agree, Peanut. This hood has never been folded and I don't want to be the first. I was thinking the first few test drives should be "sans hood". Since these cars have a German heritage I was considering finding a forward-tilt hinge system off a old Benz or BMW. Not sure when they started doing that. I'll research that when the time comes.

28. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Hi Jeff- Thank you for following- If anything, I can show you what NOT to do, :)
    The wagons are a little different. Even though they take the front sheet metal, the windshields are not the same. And like any Stude, parts are not easy to find. Fit and Finish is a big challenge as well.

If you get a chance to take a few photos please post them. I have a soft-spot for wagons ( I would LOVE to have a Wagonaire for a daily driver).

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The more I think about it the wagon is a 55 with that ugly front bumper,I think the same yard has a 53 or 54 that could donate its front sheetmetal.

30. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Progress..

We waited out the morning rain over breakfast and errand running. The sun finally started poking through the clouds so i made a mad dash for outside. We got the dash in without touching the windshield. out of all the wires dangling under the dash I only need about ten of them. I need to empty the interior so i can find a comfortable position to lay in and I should be able to get most of it in one shot.
    I spent some time removing many broken bolts from a few of the front end parts. Got my headlights installed for real this time. I also installed my grill surrounds and have everything ready to hook up the inserts with the marker/turn lights.
    Pics are before and after, along with a pic of the driver's side since it's always up against that damn cortez shit box.
    IMG_2656.jpg IMG_2658.jpg IMG_2659.jpg IMG_2664.jpg