Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question Thread on Rack & Pinion For my '40 Ford Deleted - Off Topic?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Vet65te, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vet65te

Vet65te

Hi, earlier today I posted a question asking for advice on determining what specific Ford R&P I had in my '40 Ford. A few hours later I saw it as deleted as being Off Topic. Here's the alert:
    Your post in the thread Mustang II R&P Replacement - Questions was deleted. Reason: Off topic.

If I posted in the wrong Forum, can someone suggest which one to use?
    Thanks, Mike T

2. 46stude

46stude

Sorry man, MII suspensions are off-topic. A few questions about them do slip by, but somebody obviously caught yours.

The HAMB is about traditional hot rodding, & nobody in the mid-'60s was installing MII R&P. Its not personal, it just don't fit in here.

gwhite likes this.
  3. Vet65te

Vet65te

My misunderstanding, thanks for the headsup.
    Mike T - Prescott AZ

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Well, I'm gonna stick my neck out here, as I think this "traditional" stuff is off track.
    I'm 78 years old and have messed with old cars and hot rods since I was about 13 years old when I got to hanging around some of the older guys working on their old cars in their backyards here in my neighborhood.
    And "tradition" back then was to get the latest stuff off the latest wrecked cars in the salvage yards that you could rake up the cash to buy. You didn't try to stay with what somebody else ran 50 years ago, you got the latest and best that you could afford and find.
    There are times like this when I feel that I'm investing my time on the wrong forum and need to find a more open minded place to hang out. I don't necessarily want to run all the new electronic stuff on the new cars, and I can see staying with the pre 65 car bodies with no Mustangs or Camaros, etc. But to say we shouldn't even use ifs conversions and R&P steering is going too far IMHO.

5. The bosses place, the bosses rules. It's been that way as long as I've been here...and is one of the things I love most about the place...the staff calls it "focus."

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Gonna make note of this come May when Ryan expects another 50 bucks from me. Something to put in the balance and consider.
    Don't misunderstand, I don't expect special privileges because of my Alliance membership, nor do I presume some influence over Ryan's policies. But I do think ALL members should feel free of retaliation with arbitrary deletions, when they reasonably, courteously, and precisely offer a view of a policy and suggests changes should be considered.

7. I'm having trouble following, Dave...are you thinking I have censored you or deleted your posts? Your post above stating that sometimes you feel that this place is too narrow-minded has been kept intact. Nobody has attacked or retaliated. I have only stated how the staff views the Jalopy Journal/HAMB subject matter (focused) and my opinion (I like it).

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd prefer...

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

This comment isn't just about the rack and pinion steering and MII ifs post that fostered this particular thread, but, for example: A thread about the big controversy that surfaced lately and was posted and within less than 2 hrs. was deleted on 2/9/16 over proposed EPA ruling that could affect badly, if not destroy hot rodding in any manner other than museum exhibits.

P.S. but that's enough for tonight past bedtime. Gotta Dr. appmt, in am. Gotta stay healthy to argue better, LOL!!!!!!!!

9. Dave, hope all is well....honestly, I could care less about arguing - wasn't my intent...I'm still not sure what the issue is; you mention narrow focus (this isn't a new thing around here) and EPA regulatory issues in the same breath.

On the focus issue, here's how I see it; I go to the local Tex-Mex joint expecting Tex-Mex...I don't get my drawers in a twist because they don't do sushi. They're Tex-Mex. Ditto for the HAMB...this place is pretty unapologetic in the traditional (built in a style representative of 1965 and earlier) genre. We're "Tex-Mex" - you won't find or be satisfied with "sushi" here. That's the long and short of it. Yes it is narrow minded and exclusionary - it's designed that way and we've been asked to enforce the rules/guidelines to that end. This is not a catch-all vintage car forum. Sorry, that's just the way it is - and always has been...no trickery or slight of hand involved; the guidelines are pretty clear in this regard.

On the EPA regulatory front; I think you'd be best served and get a quicker response by addressing @Ryan in a PM. I didn't catch the thread when it was posted - nor did I delete it; I can only assume (knowing the integrity of the staff here) that it violated stated rules.

Again, I'm happy to discuss in detail here or via private conversation...us staff are not here to rain on anyone's parade; we make editorial decisions every day - it's never personal, it's ALWAYS content-driven.

lothiandon1940 and 117harv like this.
  10. 117harv

117harv

Dirty old man, Ryan doesn't expect $50 from you. There are dozens of sites that the IFS stuff in fine to talk about, however there is only one HAMB, I like the focus, the content is why I'm here. I'm a member of other sites that fill the gap so to speak for stuff that doesn't fit here. Don't limit yourself to one place if you have several auto interests.

lothiandon1940 and gwhite like this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This is a really easy thing... There's no room for arguing over it.

The HAMB is focused on traditional hot rods and customs. We don't cover street rod topics such as IFS systems and the like. It's not a personal decision against any of our readers, it's an editorial decision top help keep the place focused for our audience that is very much into the traditional.

So, it is what it is... Either you are into traditional hot rods and get our focus or you aren't and don't. It's really that simple.

lothiandon1940 and gwhite like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.