Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help ID this head

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gearhead695456, Feb 6, 2016.

1. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

Hello I picked up this Winfield head and I'm trying to find out what compression it is , the numbers stamped on the top are 03-195. Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

2. Winfield reproduction head (sold by Red's Headers among others)...will either be 6:1 or 7:1 compression. A pic of the chambers would help determine cr.

3. aaggie

aaggie

I don't know much about bangers but won't the compression be determined by what pistons you have too?

4. Most A/B pistons are of similar design...combustion chamber volume determines CR more than anything else.

5. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

Will get a pic of the chambers this evening. It does not have the "heart shaped" ones, more rectangular. Thanks

6. IMG_7859.jpg
    Although they may have them I have never seen anything other than flat top pistons used in a Model A/B engine. The combustion chamber is located mostly over the valves and there isn't much to pop up into. If you made up a hump in the piston to extend into the small combustion chamber area that you do have it would probably disrupt the flow resulting in less HP. Attached is a picture of a model B head which is basically the same design with a heart shaped slightly smaller combustion area. Ignore the white circles they were intended to highlight two holes that will cause water leaks if a Model A gasket is used with a Model B head.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  7. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

Thanks Charlie, do you recommend I use the B head gasket with silicon and what about VHT copper coat to seal it up? Thanks

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  8. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

Here's the combustion chamber of my winifield head doesn't look much like the others in that there's no heart shape chamber. thanks again.

Attached Files:

9. Don't have enough experience to answer that one. Try the archives first at fordbarn.com and Ahooga.com. If no answer in the archives then post on those sites.

Charlie Stephens

10. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

11. Looks to me like a 6:1 head. Combustion chambers are identical to my orig Winfield cast iron head. I'm running an old Fel-Pro 7013 copper/asbestos sandwich gasket - fits perfectly. The B gasket (7014) overlapped the combustion chamber on this head.

ygpC93A.jpg