Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Corvette M/SP Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Baron, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. keptfree

keptfree
    from Michigan

Thought you would enjoy another photo of my dad, Roger Davenport and George Foltz with Prontito. This was from National Dragster August 1, 1969, page eighteen. 042.JPG

els, loudbang, Baron and 6 others like this.
  3. keptfree

keptfree
    from Michigan

Roger Davenport.jpg Prontito - Roger Davenport driving. Photo in the National Dragster September 12, 1969.

els, loudbang, Baron and 6 others like this.
  4. jimdillon

jimdillon

Thanks for the clippings on Prontito. It goes without saying that it deserved the award for best appearing but it really was a great running drag car. When I first started watching this car in the mid 60s (running with the black Midwest livery) it was running somewhere in the high 11s or low 12s (memory is a bit fuzzy) and I believe they got the car down into he mid 9s (in the yellow colors above) which was pretty strong for the era. Whatever time it ran it always put on a great show.

The lower stance of the late 60s in gas with the new Goodyears (and others to follow) cut down to an extent on the mid track antics but this car was so good at pulling the wheels on launch and shifting that it made a believer out of me. It was one of those cars that no matter what you were doing you had to take a break and go watch from the fence. If there was one car I would love to find under a tarp it would be this car.

els, elgringo71, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  5. This is a great thread. The car is kick-ass, as is the '55.

Baron and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  6. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. Keptfree thank you for posting the great pics. Your dad obviously was an outstanding drag racer and an excellent car builder to win as much as he did plus best appearing car and crew.
    Just back from vacation from Florida. Back on the Corvette next week-end. Time is going by much too quickly. I still have a ton of work to do and spring is right around the corner.

els, Rat Sass, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  7. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

BAD -ASS- I LOVE THAT YEAR VETT - GOOD LUCK

Baron likes this.
  8. keptfree

keptfree
    from Michigan

loudbang likes this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

els likes this.
  10. keptfree

keptfree
    from Michigan

Jim,

Can you enlighten me to Kanner in regards to Prontito? I've seen you mention him a couple of times and wondered if we are talking about the same car. Did he own it before George and my dad or after? Or was there another car called Prontito?

Pat

11. jimdillon

jimdillon

Pat, I followed this car from the mid 60s and it raced somewhat regularly at several of the local tracks; Detroit, Milan and Motor City, plus others I am sure. There were two brothers that drag raced Corvettes that were neighbors and I helped them on the builds, maintenance and spent many days at the drag strips with their cars. One was a similar 57 Corvette that ran in B/G. It was a fun car although not overly competitive, but it really made me take notice of the best cars in class and this car (Prontito) was in my opinion the best. The other Corvette of the brothers was a 61 Vette that ran in junior stock and was very competitive and I really liked this car since it was so competitive. The brothers eventually went into circle track but I stayed with drag racing.

Below is a picture of the car (prior to being called Prontito) when it was owned by Ron Reader with Dave Kanners name on the hardtop.

Ron Reader bought this car in the early 60s and raced it with several Pontiac engines on Woodward. George Delorean built 389s and 421s for the car and it was one of the fastest cars on Woodward. Ron told me he got too many tickets and turned it into strictly a drag car with the Pontiac engines until they switched to big blocks Chevy power in 65-as that was supposed to be the new hot ticket. I talked to Ron on this car and others. Ron owned Midwest Auto in Berkley and many big names ran out of that shop or had some sponsorship (or had some association with Midwest). Names like Dave Kanners, Sam Gianino, Rich Maskin, Mike Fons, Dick Arons, Wally Booth, Al Maynard, Bob Schaeffer, Ron, Dan and Butch Elkins and others. All were relatively successful in the Midwest cars and other endeavors.

Ron told me he sold the car at the end of the 67 season to George Foltz. Whether your dad had ownership as well is something you would know better than I. Ron told me he sold to the cylinder head guy and I reminded him of the name and he said yea Foltz-at our age we momentarily forget all of these important points I suppose. Truth be told though Ron has a great memory and was able to relate real detail-great guy. In 68 the car was changed from a 4 speed to an automatic (torqueflite-pushbutton on a hand made console- they may have had other shifters but remember this push button setup-maybe it was early on in 68). Ron told me he was a four speed guy but some were switching to the clutch turbos and clutchflite and so the new owners changed it over. It was later changed to a clutchflite during your dad's era-possibly late 68 or early 69-although I am guessing. I watched your dad drive the car and he was very talented without question and during your dad's era is when they changed the name to Prontito. Early in 68 I believe they still had the Midwest lettering on it as well as the Prontito lettering (somewhere I have a picture with this). As I understand your dad had an earlier car with the Prontito moniker so we certainly can credit your dad with that great name. One day I watched Dave Kanners drive the car at Milan-most likely 68. Why either George Foltz or your dad had him drive the car I do not know but Dave stood it up on the rear bumper and maybe wanted to impress George or your dad, who knows. I had spoken to Dave a couple of times and knew him a bit at the time and my buddies were next to me at the fence watching Dave make several runs. I had told them this was the car to watch for although we never ran him that day-lost in first round. In 1972 I got to know Dave pretty well as he was racing a Camaro on a four car team and he hung out with a friend of mine who was a member of the Fruehauf family (and also raced a big block Camaro-for fun moreso than professionally)). Dave Kanners was a character let's say. He died of cancer a few years ago and I do not want to speak unkindly but he could make you mad if you let him. He was deep down a good guy and had a good side for sure but maybe was a bit different-let's leave it at that. In talking to Ron Reader he told me Dave Kanners was a real talent but he would not always listen to Ron and kind of did things as he wanted, so Ron chose other drivers as well, including Bob Schaeffer (a good engine builder who also was associated with Jomar stud girdles). You will see Bob's name on the car in the pic with the car in the staging lanes with Gianino's red 57.

I asked Dave about this car in 1972 and he told me he would see what he could do about tracking it down but he never was able to tell me what happened to it other than Ron had sold the car in late 67 and that Dave drove the car on a number of occasions. Although in in 69 the article you posted shows they won at Indy in 69 with your dad driving the car did make the field at Indy in 67 although they had some issues with the car and according to Ron they pulled the engine and put it in Dave Kanner's AM/SP special (which they called a 57 Corvette-Ron thought maybe it had some 57 Corvette chassis or some basic elements of a Corvette but was certainly not a 57 Vette in bodywork) and Dave went on to not only win class but also eliminator.

You will note in the clipping above that you posted that Mike Fons was in the Midwest Camaro that lost to Nicholson.

Car in the mid 60s with Dave Kanners driving and name on the hardtop. (and Bob Schaeffers name on the front panel).
    [​IMG]

There are other pictures of the car in this thread and hopefully I am not confusing matters.

It would be great if you could add the history of the car during your dad's time with the car. Hope this helps Jim

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    els, Rat Sass, '52 F-3 and 4 others like this.
  12. keptfree

keptfree
    from Michigan

Jim,

Thanks for the history lesson. I didn't know a lot of that info. Will let you know if I hear more. I was never into cars, but enjoyed watching my dad race summers. My brother or cousins might remember more than I do. I mainly remember all the hours he worked on it in our garage in Temperance. My dad died in 2006 so I can no longer rely on him for missing details.

Pat

els, Rat Sass and loudbang like this.
  13. jimdillon

jimdillon

Hope Baron does not mind with us clogging up his build thread-old drag stuff on another old modified sports racer is not all bad in my opinion.

Pat if you find any other pictures or history of the car when your dad was involved please let me know. I have written some auto racing history articles from the era 1915-1919 (300 cubic inch era of the AAA) but thought it may be good to write something on drag racing Corvettes some day. Would surely like to be as accurate as I can with Prontito, if and when the day comes. Even little tidbits are helpful, maybe more than you know. That car and memories of it keep me sane or maybe more appropriately insane in a good way. If you would prefer you can use the conversation (used to be called private message) flag above on the right and we could correspond by email.

Sad about your dad but maybe this stuff keeps his memory alive. Thanks Jim

14. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Jim Not at all. All great reading and the more info on these old Corvette drag cars,the better informed I become. Thanks

els, loudbang, elgringo71 and 2 others like this.
  15. RARE57

RARE57

"The Car Looks Great Baron" !
    ......Is She Snacking on a "Pipe Bender" !? :)

loudbang likes this.
  16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mounted the gauges in the dash today and installed the kill switch. Think tomorrow I will try to get the speaker grill and trim in and install the cowl vent handle assembly and maybe even the e-brake handle. Good thing it is not too bad laying under the dash on this car with the seats out. Actually it's pretty roomy under there . Corvette gauges in  a.jpg Corvette kill switch installed.jpg

els, loudbang, enloe and 4 others like this.
  17. elgringo71

elgringo71

It's looking real good Baron. What kind of gauges and steering wheel did you use?

els, Rat Sass and Baron like this.
  18. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Jason. The steering wheel is from Con2R. The smaller 15 inch wheel makes it much easier to get in out of these cars. These repro wheels bolts on the stock Corvette hub and uses the original horn button.
    The gauges are just a set of Stewart-Warner mechanical gauges (oil, water and vacuum). The good thing is the gauges fit the stock openings in the dash. The clock opening has to be enlarged to fit the tachometer. This moves the tachometer out of the line of site, but a shift light mounted on my steering column will solve that problem.
    Corvette gauges in  b.jpg

els, loudbang, 62hotcat and 4 others like this.
  19. elgringo71

elgringo71

They look good in there and keep with the vintage look.

els, loudbang, Rat Sass and 1 other person like this.
  20. i've got a spare eyebrow for the dash if you need it.

elgringo71, loudbang and Baron like this.
  21. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Thatza nize, B!

Baron likes this.
  22. jimdillon

jimdillon

Looks great Baron. The dash looks all business.

els, Rat Sass and Baron like this.
  23. Utahvette

Utahvette

It may have been mentioned earlier, but a 58-62 steering column is about 3-4 inches shorter and gives more swinging room in these small interiors. I've done it on two cars and think it's a great improvement.

loudbang, Rat Sass and elgringo71 like this.
  24. For sale near me...
    image.png

els likes this.
  25. this is the piece i was talking about, the trim/dash pad p116600_image_large.jpg

26. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For this car I bought a Rebel wiring harness from Jeff Sullivan (HAMB Vendor). Nice, simple unit and I have found that by the time you buy all the stuff to wire it from scratch, winds up costing close to the same.
    So I spent the last two days installing the MSD box, mounting the Rebel fuse box and ruffing in the wiring harness to the engine compartment, both front and rear of car and connecting the MSD box to the ignition wiring. I like to hide the wiring as much as possible. I'm running mechanical gauges, so the wiring to the engine compartment is minimal. I was able to snake the wires through the left rocker panel for the rear harness by drilling one hole the exits into the passenger compartment just before the bulkhead. The front harness I mounted up under the left frt fender /inner fender panel. The new ignition switch I bought turned out to be junk, so I'll have to order another one. Also need to order the retaining nut for my headlight switch. Once I get those, I can finish up under the dash, wire up the gauges, dash lights etc. Nice ,relaxing work (laying under the dash), for a change.

Attached Files:

27. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finished up under the dash today for the most part. Tie-wrapped the wires to neaten things up a little. Need the light bulb sockets for the speedo housing( directional and turn signal lights,etc) and fabricate a bracket for a stop light switch along with installing the oil line and vacuum line to the mechanical gauges. Next step will be to install a battery box in the trunk, and run the cables. Once that's done I can install a battery and see if everything works like it is supposed to.
    Dash wiring almost finished 2 20 16.jpg

28. elgringo71

elgringo71

It's almost ready to move under its own power again.

29. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Jason. Getting a little closer every week. Still have to connect the wiring to the head and tail lights, gas gauge, etc. Need to run the brake lines, install the line-loc, install the radiator and the shroud, match up some hoses to fit, etc.
    The stock rear end is still in the car, and I may wind up leaving it in until I get the 57 Olds rear all together. Still need to order the axles for it along with a set of rear brakes and drums. But once I get that all together , I can pull out the stocker on a Thursday night( after work), get the Olds set in place and measure for the driveshaft, and if I time it right, I can have it back up and running by Saturday afternoon. So, still lots to do, but nothing I'd rather be doing. :)

els, swade41, Rat Sass and 3 others like this.
  30. A friend of mine just picked up this 61, rough as a cob in spots but is getting his Olds rear for it this weekend. He's a lurker here and I know he checks in on this thread to see how some things are done. The last photo is his latest mockup. 12593498_1101116909922289_2421980067246872392_o.jpg 12640428_1101118333255480_8077472959397198843_o.jpg 12622498_1101118456588801_174149686004257228_o.jpg 12743799_1111897918844188_2657289410337541778_n.jpg

els, kiwijeff, rumblegutz and 7 others like this.