Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What!!? another 27 on 32 chassis!??. Scratch build body.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thank you. Family and craft that about sums me up lol. I should have some more to add to this thread during the coming week so thanks for subscribing.

David

2. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Thanks for looking in. I will try to post some photos later. I have to make a new website for metalshapingzone.com because the existing one has lost all the links to the photos so I will be busy doing that for a while. Meanwhile the rest of the website is still working and the DVD is still for sale on there. I am filming and editing the next one but to make an informative video is a slow process.

David[/QUOTE]
    Put me on the list to be notified when the next one comes out. I have the present one and it is going to be hard to top that one. :)

3. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks, I am very happy you like the DVD so much, I tried to make it informative and easy to follow.

David

4. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Here are a couple of photos of the T as it sits in my workshop at the moment.

DOUBLE DECKER 27 T's!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top one is mine, the one on the chassis belongs to my mate Glen, I am just storing it for him and using it for information.

As I said before I am spending a few days this week working on my chassis so should have it more or less finished soon.

David

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  5. louisb

louisb

I so want want a 27 T roadster your pics are making me jealous.

--louis

6. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Louis they are a lot harder to get here, the only way is if someone drags one over from the States.

7. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Been really busy so I have not had time to post photos, however I have been working on the roadster. With help from my old mate Glen, I cut the torque tube, I decided to raise the rear of the chassis a little so constructed a new rear cross member. I have modified my front wishbones to set the caster. Tomorrow I am going to bend the steering arms. I have been on a buying spree and I will post some photos soon. I have started on mounting the steering box and mounting the pedals. The aim is to finish the chassis before doing any more to the body but when I am ready to get back on it it will be a lot easier with original bodies here co copy. I should find time to post some photos soon.

David

dos zetas, K13, cactus1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Great news David. I look forward to seeing the chassis and progress on the body.

cactus1 and falcongeorge like this.
  9. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Hi Jimmy, thanks for replying, I think I have lost most of the reader's of my thread, when I look at the profiles of many who commented they no longer visit this site. I guess that most of the photos disappearing a while back did the site no favours. I am going in to work today to work on my roadsters and will post photos soon.

David

sonic03bluegt and davo461 like this.
  10. davo461

davo461

I am still here ! Keep up the good work !

11. hasty

hasty

No, still here and looking forward to updates....

12. dos zetas

dos zetas

Still learning from this excellent thread, keep us up dated, please.

13. I'm still here too David! Make with the pictures already, ha!

sonic03bluegt likes this.
  14. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

One more of your fans looking forward to more coverage of your progress.

15. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

I'm here too!
    I got your DVD after following this thread, and I want to say it's GREAT! Thank you David for both!
    Johnny
    ( More pics, more pics )

16. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

Me too. Can't wait to hear more, David. My bet is that you've inspired so many people with your video that you'll always have readers. And your work is just amazing.

17. Yep!, not going anywhere

18. Still waiting here as well.

19. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

I'm still following along. Checking out your videos online, too. Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

20. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

I`ll chime in here too.....Also noticed that William Longyard plugged your Video in his new book, which I got today. Still looking for a copy of Cass Nawrocki`s new edition.....see, without your thread going (and a few others...) I have go go old style and resort to actually reading printed pages...
    :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D

21. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Wow! looks like there are still a few of you on here lol. The T's been so long in the build now that I am surprised you remember it.:( Thanks for taking the time to reply and for all the nice comments.:) I have to upload some photos which I am doing now so I will post them up later if I get it done.

David

Crazybillybob likes this.
  22. David - life gets in the way of personal projects and time slips away.... Looking forward to seeing your progress.

23. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't feel bad David, we've been on our HA/GR project for going on 9 years. Sometimes life has other plans than we do.

24. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Hi David
    Just found this today, I'm in for the remainder of your build "PLEASE DON'T STOP "
    This is amazing, hard to believe that you have so much talent.
    I have been on and off a 27 roadster for many years and couldn't decide on an A frame or a 32 frame,
    Till now.
    Thanks for your time
    Joe

25. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for the encouragement guys it means a lot. I did have a few days on the T with Glen helping me (thanks mate!) like I intended to and I have done a fair bit since but I just have not had time to post. I said I had been having a bit of a spending spree. This to some extent is because I decided that if I am ever going to finish this rod I should buy some of the stuff I was previously intending to make or modify. I also had a slight change of mind in regard to one or two details on the car - more on that later.
    here is some of the stuff I bought...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More later.

David

pcbart and patmanta like this.
  26. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

One of the things I did was to bend my wishbones to get the caster on the axle. I know most people cut and shut them but I felt that it would work to bend them so that is what I did.
    [​IMG]

At the other end of the wishbones I welded in some bungs to take 40 Ford ball joints. I then bought a cut off steering arm and used the tapers to fabricate my wishbone mounts, this was a bit of trial and error and I tried several deigns including bolt on mounts but I did not like the look on the 32 chassis. I decided to fabricat something and work with that so here is what I did.
    [​IMG]

Probably not very clear in the photo but I cut some tapered sections from the bar and shaped it

Here I have done a root run...

[​IMG]

This is the second weld.

[​IMG]

This is the weld on the other side...

[​IMG]

David

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    blackjack and patmanta like this.
  27. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

When I cleaned it up it looked like this...

[​IMG]

I wasn't entirely happy with this...

[​IMG]

So I added some gussets...

[​IMG]

Once I had cleaned it all up I had this...

[​IMG]

dos zetas, pcbart, cactus1 and 2 others like this.
  28. Thanks for the update David!

29. hasty

hasty

Good to see this moving - looking forward to more updates

pcbart likes this.
  30. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Great job on the wishbone mounts. Much nicer than bolt on plates.