Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Odd ball banger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willowbilly3, Dec 1, 2015.

1. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Parting out a 76 Scout for the axles to fit under my 40 panel. It has a sweet running 196 four banger. I just hate throwing something away and have been thinking on uses for it, like maybe dredging up the 27 T roadster body.
    Anyone ever seen one in a rod? Kinda weird slanty thing, half a V8 like the old pontiac 4 banger.

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Definitely weird. Also, hard to believe something so big and heavy can produce so little power, yet suck up so much gas.

Don't think anybody used one in anything but an International truck for obvious reasons. But, if you were building a 1920s style truck, like a C cab, it would make an appropriate power plant with its big 4 cylinder chug chug power.

Or, maybe a 1915 taxicab??

The more I think about it the more I see it in a C cab flat bed. Build a frame and use the axles out of the Ford lol. Then build a C cab and flat bed out of wood.

How about a Beverley Hillbillies style truck for laughs?

3. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Just for comparison the 196 puts out more power, and weighs less than a stock flathead Ford. I've heard some guys who've owned these scouts say they could get upwards of 20 mpg, which I can neither confirm or deny.