Register now to get rid of these ads!
Auctions

Hi Flo Stromberg 48's - Restored

Discussion in 'Parts For Sale' started by Blown35, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Blown35

Blown35

City: New Canaan

State: Connecticut
    Price: $550
    Offered for sale are two precision restored Stromberg 48 Carburetors professionally restored by Stromberg expert Max Musgrove (see below for details about Max) - these restorations were never used since rebuilds - served as back-ups. They are built as a matching set as one has a fully functioning choke and one has a fixed open choke plate so you do not over choke your engine, These are best of both worlds as they have the higher CFM Stromberg 48 bodies with original Stromberg 97 air horns for better "tuneability". Fat finger mixture screws, new throttle shafts and stainless ends, stainless 97 style choke kickers, .050 main jets and #71 Power Valves. All set to go - no waiting - instant gratification. One is unwrapped so you can see how they look and the other is in the original wrap as I received them. Restoration description/invoice comes with the units. Price $550 for the pair plus shipping.
    --------

Max Musgrove from his website

"I’ve been fascinated by these old relics ever since I took my first one apart in in my Dad’s back yard 1961. Been flogging them, off and on, ever since and still build each one like it was for myself, be it for someone’s restoration project or a 6×2 hotrod application. Or anything in between!

I start by disassembling and checking everything, including leak testing the floats.

Emulsion tubes, idle jets are removed & replaced with fresh acid etched parts. All main jets, powervalves, accelerator pump, fuel inlet, gaskets checkvalves etc. are new.

Bases are stripped and glass beaded, surfaced on both sides, all threads chased, new SS bushings (parallel reamed to .278″) and standard .275″ diameter throttleshafts. Epoxy gloss black fuel-proof paint and my own Fatfinger extended knurled mixture screws…

Airhorns are brought back to flat and lightly surfaced. All carbs are fitted with chokeplates. Contrary to the old thinking of removing the chokes for “more flow”, the plates are necessary to provide a smooth airstream over the open ends of the discharge jets for proper venturi signal and atomization of fuel. They just run better… I use an aircraft in/lb torque screwdriver on all top screws.

On a 2×2 rig, I use a clever stainless choke lock-pin that goes in place of the bullet detent on one carb to prevent the plates from flapping in the breeze; it allows the chokeplate to be secure in the upright position. (You only need one functioning choke, even in the coldest climate).Center-Sections have all jet-well and fuel inlet surfaces spotfaced. I promise no leaks, unless you want them for authenticity!

Bodies & airhorns are ultrasonic cleaned and acid treated. The chromatic acid leaves a grey/green/pewter colored barrier coating, which is impervious to fuel & mineral deposits and should last another 70 years.

All linkage, including chokekicker, fulcrum, pump rod, throttleplates & choke plate are newly plated.

All external springs are heat treated 302 stainless, including the slightly heavier duty accelerator fulcrum spring which makes for quick throttle response.

A lot of guys don’t realize that in a properly functioning Stromberg – with new parts – that the powervalve starts to come to the party the moment you stab the gas, due to the hydraulic action of the accelerator pump, and becomes fully open at the bottom of the stroke. If you step on the gas less violently, the built in bypass valve in the pump takes over, for a smooth transition. Simple, but effective… That’s why it’s important to marry the jets and pv’s for correct A/F ratio for different applications.

All carbs were flow checked…"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015