Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. elgringo71

elgringo71

Scott sometimes you can find used take off parts on eBay that are not good enough for the restorers.

Rat Sass and Scottrodsllc like this.
  2. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Jim. I have a the 4 inch I-beams out of mine along with the radiator support extension, powder-coated black, ready to bolt in.

Rat Sass likes this.
  3. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

I posted on my business and personal facebook pages what I was looking for and got over twenty different private messages from people who had what I was looking for , So the most of the parts mission is accomplished.

4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Will this be a body kit you are going to sell like your Willys bodies?

Rat Sass likes this.
  5. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

Sure will, we'll have chassis for it also. We'll also be offering the 53/54 also. 53 vette.jpg

ME.GASSER, Baron and Rat Sass like this.
  6. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

how about 56/57s ?????

Rat Sass likes this.
  7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Boy wouldn't that be a good start to my gasser project:)

Scottrodsllc and Rat Sass like this.
  8. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

Are you going to make some rear fender flairs for the coupe? I would be interested in a pair if you do.

Scottrodsllc likes this.
  9. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

were going to come up with something small for flairs above the wheel on the back, just not sure what they will be yet. They will most likely just be some body work we'll do before the candy gets shot on it and not something we would reproduce. I may already have some larger flair molds for it, I will take a look.

Rat Sass and elgringo71 like this.
  10. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

Not out of the question, but I donot have molds for it, Yet. I do have a one piece frontend mold for them if anybody needs one of them.

11. vetrod62

vetrod62

No straight axle, blocks like my car. The Auto gear M23 is a stronger , better version of the M22. All the Auto gear Muncies have the Italian cut gears. The custom work that was done to my M23 is get it to shift faster. There are lots of Drag racing transmissions out there like Lenco, Gforce, Jerico andLiberty. I looked at all of them and they were not right for me. The biggest problem is that I also street drive my car. The transmissions I listed above suck on the street because no real down shifting. Some will go to neutral just for letting up on the throttle. Another problem is they are usually clutchless. They shift super fast, but the shock to the drive train is destructive. So now you have to run a slipper clutch,
    ( Which I already do ), Maintenance is often and adjustments are critical. Besides, you can buy three M23 s for the cost of one of those transmissions.

The ladder bars in the 61 came that way. It is nice, but to put them in you have to really hack the car up. Cut half of the X-frame out, cost is a lot for labor and parts. For me I do not see any real advantage. Slapper bars and today's slick compounds are just as fast. My car runs just same as it did 49 years ago. Good enough for Me then and now.

12. vetrod62

vetrod62

Hi Baron, sorry for the late reply. But family things, if you get my drift? Any way, That sounds great. How much for the parts? I will relay this to the 61 owner. BTW... Your car is "bitchin" ( Hollywood Knights )

Rat Sass likes this.
  13. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

VOOLLAARRRRRRREEEE :)
    I had to do my best Newbomb imitation

Tn. Trash and Rat Sass like this.
  14. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't get one from anyone else.

Rat Sass, enloe and Scottrodsllc like this.
  15. elgringo71

elgringo71

That was a great idea to post parts wanted on your Facebook page. It also says a lot about the people that follow you on Facebook. I am glad that you found what you needed and I like the direction that you are going with your build. You have definitely put some thought and planning into it.

Scottrodsllc likes this.
  16. elgringo71

elgringo71

I believe that Fiberglass Trends was a company that made their own molds and would sell you a body or maybe body parts. (Race weight fiberglass probably?) These were often used with a frame or wrecked car. If anyone knows any more about them let us know. What Scott is doing kind of reminded me of them.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

17. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

THOSE ARE EXTREMELY BADASS

Rat Sass likes this.
  18. elgringo71

elgringo71

Thanks for the information on the M23, I had never heard of them and its good to know what works for both street and strip. Nothing beats first hand information from someone that had done it. Good information about the ladder bars too and I think that you have enough R&D time in on your car to know what works well. ;)

Rat Sass likes this.
  19. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

Hey we make the Cheetah too.!!!

Rat Sass and elgringo71 like this.
  20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

You're Killing me Smalls :)

Rat Sass, Bowtie Coupe and elgringo71 like this.
  21. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

Here is one we did for The Cheetah Evolution, and we also have one of our bodies being built on Stacey Davids show called Gearz. cheetah red pic.jpg

Tn. Trash, loudbang, Rat Sass and 6 others like this.
  22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

23. vetrod62

vetrod62

Yes, the R&D has always been on my car. I always take things to limit and see if it works. Some worked, some not so much. Then I passed it down to others on my team at the NJO ( North Jersey Outlaws ). $4000 in Olds/Pont rear ends in 2008 hurt until I got it figured out.

Now a question for you guys, The car I am taking from a modern low ride drag car to a 60s street look , is, can the billet 5 spoke wheels pass inspection at one of the Old car events??

[​IMG]

Rat Sass and Paul B like this.
  24. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

My best Newbaumb imitation is kind of embarassing and probably should not be done on this forum.:rolleyes::eek::D

Rat Sass and enloe like this.
  25. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

26. jimdillon

jimdillon

Jim although there are some guys that run those five spoke, if the truth be told they were not available during the 60s as you know. There are some nostalgia meets and some vintage meets and some are pretty lax (ie wing cars) and others are pretty strict. I know the Meltdown would not allow those wheels as they do not meet the 1966 cutoff date. I am not aware of any other meets that are as strict as the Meltdown but that does not mean that there are not strict guidelines at other venues. It may be easier to sell those wheels and replace them with something more period correct and then never have to worry about it.

I am sure you will improve the engine/drivetrain/stance on the car so that it will look and perform at 100%, so the wheels are the easy part.

loudbang, Rat Sass and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  27. outshine9

outshine9

28. vetrod62

vetrod62

I looked up the rules for the Meltdown. There seems to be a bunch of rules that would be a problem. And no competition events. A long way to travel to be rejected. They might also reject my car because it has TT-IIs. We might go just to hang out. Baron has given me 4 events at NE Dragway that are not far away. We have some "Old Car Dazs" events here in NJ, But they are rather small.

We have done Beaver Springs Pa before, but no hotels/motels near by. Either camp out or long travel to lodging. Track is super narrow, grass off the asphalt and weak guard rails. But a lot of fun. Better have you "A " game on when racing there. We are considering getting a camper that can tow 10,000lbs. My days of sleeping on the ground were over in the early 1960s. Jim

Rat Sass likes this.
  29. elgringo71

elgringo71

It seems like one easy option would be to get some legal wheels for your car and race it at the Meltdown, that way you could get see if you liked it enough to spend the money to make the other car legal. There are also some less expensive options for wheels. You could find some vintage torque thrusts or maybe even slot mags for not much money. Also there are a few companies that make vintage style wheels that should be legal. Check out American Rebel Wheels, Real Rodders Wheels and Circle Racing Wheels. Or you could go mining for Magnesium.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    loudbang, Rat Sass and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  30. vetrod62

vetrod62

Thanks for the reply, but it is not that simple. First problem is I have commitments that week end. Second is my car has custom back space, light rear wheels that are not going to easily replaced. ( Another edge reviled ) There must be other races that we can race our cars at without any changes.

I do have the mining tools, but the travel time is out. Jim

loudbang, Rat Sass and Baron like this.