Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Period correct license plate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wbsrodshop, Oct 9, 2015.

1. I thought I remember having to replace my old yellow plates with the new black ones in about 1963 which would make it totally impossible to find anything older than '63 plates (black plates) with regular registration (not YOM).

Charlie Stephens

2. C'MON now B! Some of us have to run them!,and it beat's the Shitty plate's they have now! +all the lying, swindling, fudging,and paying yearly to run my plates...... These's are 50 plates. I would gladly run the original OHIO plates,but I don't think it would jive very well with the man out here......
    It's Ok- I know you would run them if you could! :)

3. wbsrodshop

wbsrodshop
    from Mo, Sweden

Thank you for all your input. I´m gonna try getting 56 or maby 58 Texas plates or 56 California plates. Here are a few more pictures of my projekt....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71, kiwijeff and big duece like this.
  4. stimpy

stimpy

prather you can run Illinois YOM plates as long as you have the AV plate with you in the car . most cops will not bother you as they know collectors ussually are not the bad ( expired ) tag people , I have a copy of the Illinois code for the allowal with the car on SOS paperwork ( courtesy of ISOS ) I recieved some years back , while driving one car I was pulled over and questioned , told the officer to call state police and ask , they verified the code ( nice thing is most state troopers carry a IVC code book inthe car but most municipalities do not and do not know it )

the SOS application even mentions it
    https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/vsd355.pdf

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  5. LOL actually here in Missouri I can pretty much run any plate that someone else has not registered here. A YOM which is actually a misnomer here is treated like a vanity plate, you apply for a vanity plate then send the state a picture of the plate you want to run. The big difference between a YOM and the standard vanity plate is that you register one time and you are done. No yearly renewal. I think that they would like you to have a current safety sticker but they don't enforce it.

There is an excellent copy of the Hirohata Merc running around here (actually running around is probably a minor non truth but it does get driven on occasion) that actually is perfect down to the Calif Plate.

I have a '54 Kansas plate that I may run eventually. Tow reasons it is my birth year and like I said earlier it is shaped like Kansas instead of square/rectangular.

@INVISIBLEKID check your PMs. A little something extra for ya.

6. mountainman2

mountainman2

What B said. If you are going to the trouble to get a era correct plate, get the right one. Your build is a lot more late 50's or early 60's. Besides that, the 283 didn't come out until '57 models. I know it's nitpicking but somebody at a show will point all this out. Just as easy to get the '58 or later plates as the '56.

7. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

What about a Tennessee plate? I'm kinda IMG_a4694-1.jpg partial though...lol.

8. I would say as long as the plate is "clear"= not on file/assigned through your department of motor vehicles,you can use it,but your ride has to be a 56! DOH! If you have any connections=PD/HP,they can run the plate and check for you...... If not,it's a trip to DMV,or you could call to see if it's not in use/not on file.
    If that all goes good=clear,then the assignment process.........I hope you a lot of patience...:)

9. KKrod

KKrod

RearView.jpg Here is Texas 1956 plate. I have a 1956 265 sbc in it. The plate is just for shows. I normally use the antique car plates issued by the state.

kiwijeff and 55 Ford Gasser like this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I saw a pair of these in person, the "CALIFORNIA" at the top is embossed, where normal reflective white new ugly boring California plates for regular people the "California" part is flat.

so other than the number sequence they would look better on an old car than the ugly white ones we have now.

[​IMG]

11. Not a 100% but I thought I read that they can NOT have the original style of numbers/letters combo (123 ABC). So basically they're almost an exact copy minus the number/letter config.

12. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

heres my 32 plate on my 32, legal in mass.providing nobody has that number already Unknown-1.jpeg

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. If it was for show use only, I'd find a fabricator like Mike from Cornfeild Custom to make a pair.
    You could make up the numbers and paint it with correct colors.

14. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

in Nebraska, YOM plates are one time registration fee. $85 and the registration is good as long as you own the car. it also goes down in $10 increments for multiple car owners, maxing out at $55

15. I actually am still fighting the state over a vanity plate that I want to run. I want it to say GIMP on it. the state says that it is offensive. I'm certainly not offended by it and I am one and I have seen plates that if the people in Jeff City were paying attention would be really offensive.

maybe if I win the lottery i'll hire a mouth piece. LOL

16. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

California now has personalized black and yellow plates available at $50 (initially) $40 (renew) EXTRA in addition to the regular fees.

Attached Files:

17. These plates go well on black cars. Although off topic I see them on a lot of late model black cars.

Charlie Stephens

18. cfmvw

cfmvw

For my VW, I had a European front plate (long narrow version) made that matches my regular antique registration plate number. Had that for years, never been questioned about it. I also looked into having a reproduction 1960 plate some years back, but never pursued it; someone at the DMV once told me that the state didn't care as long as the number matched the registration. I'd definitely get it in writing if I did go that route.

19. wbsrodshop

wbsrodshop
    from Mo, Sweden

I got me a pair of texas plates. Thanks for your help guys! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448917311.424276.jpg

kiwijeff, ct1932ford and wicarnut like this.
  20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

21. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I'm running a TX plate. I like it...

rearend.png

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. robracer1

robracer1

23. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Sometimes the colors work out and sometimes they go mardi gras!! STROKER 2015 001.JPG

kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. Looking at your picture, I would suggest just buying based on color scheme and looks. I wouldn't go with a particular state, because the colors might not match your coupe. Especially if you are taking shots of it, a plate that looks at home with your paint would be pretty sweet. If you are good at photoshop, I would suggest playing with colors first, and then searching which state and year after that. Just a thought.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  25. If you are just using them for photo shoots and shows I would suggest a plate for the correct year from your state painted to match the car. If you are just using the plates for photo shoots and shows remember that you can probably use different numbers on the front and rear and nobody will notice (they are cheaper that way). If you want to use them for YOM registration you are probably stuck with the colors you have to stay 100% legal (which is what I do and recommend).

Charlie Stephens

26. Dreddy
    I think I would like that car better with a Missouri plate. of course I would need to see it from about 14 different angles to be sure and I am sure that you really need a sedan project. Your only about 8 hours away, I'll put on a pot of beans and you can drive it up here for me to take a closer look. :D

That Texas plate looks real good from here or maybe it is just the car. :cool:

27. mike bowling

mike bowling

I found a 4 digit plate for my coupe that I thought was really cool till some guy mentioned that they had to have 4 digit plates after they ran out of 3 digit combinations. Asshole.

Glad you found what you wanted- nice looking car.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. dan31

dan31

For another 20 bucks you can get a 57 Texas inspection sticker from bob hoyts classic inspection stickers on the web.

29. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Haha thanks buddy! :)

30. My Two 32's
    IMG_1460.JPG 32 Plate 003.JPG

kiwijeff likes this.