Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pantograph doors.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by CadMad, Nov 1, 2015.

1. You could use Ford style king pin/spindle bearings.:eek:

kidcampbell71 and falcongeorge like this.
  2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^ I was thinking pretty much the same thing.

3. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Yep. It was in the Carl Casper Auto Show 2 years ago. It's at the shop - Complete Auto Repair of Sellersburg. Drop by any time. lucas

4. CadMad

CadMad

Found some more interesting info on these doors. I'm still undecided if I will attempt them but I do like the idea of a challenge when I have that "spare " three weeks in my life to kill. rps20151119_052739.jpg rps20151119_052611.jpg rps20151119_052538.jpg

5. Muffy Bennett

Muffy Bennett
    from Arizona

I've read some of the prior comments, and thought I'd throw in a comment or two in response.

One person above asked: "Why?"

My response to them:

"Because (you want it.)"

"Because (you can.)"

Run with it; if you love pantographs, do it. This is about doing what YOU love.

If I could offer one tidbit of unsolicited advice/a friendly reminder: we almost never get out of these cars the money we put into them. We restore/modify/upgrade them for the love of the car; almost never will we see every dime back out of it when the time comes to sell it. These types of doors can be expensive to design/install depending on the approach used.

Also remember: the more you modify a car, the more you narrow your pool of buyers when (if) the time comes to sell it.

In summary: If you want them, go for it!

I may have access to a Talbot Lago in the next couple of weeks, and, if so, will send ya a message with photos of how they operate.

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Read my tag line. Sometimes when you do something off the wall, Like Pantograph doors, it limits the buying potential. But you gain respect and others will beat a path to your door wanting pantographs on there cars too. On a side note, somethings like this will command a higher price for a given vehicle because it is unique.

Muffy Bennett likes this.
  7. AmishMike

AmishMike

Boat doors; airplane doors; why not do what "belair" said - checkout your wife's mini van sliding doors? Tons of hinge parts at "pick a part". Every one is over complicating the whole thing.

8. Those minivan doors don´t work the same way, and are never going to pass muster as parts for a coachbuilt Cadillac.

bengeltiger and tb33anda3rd like this.
  9. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

... I hate you guys... I'm digging out my old drawings to a similar design door I made a few years back. I built a 49? Chevy truck for a guy in a wheel chair and u designed a similar door to make it easier for him to open and close it, no leaning...

I had a double hinge connected on to a support which was roughly 12" tall and was bolted to both the door just behind the door handle and again at the hinges, swapped the double hinges on the front for double latches. The support was upholstered and when the door was closed it was flush with the rest of the interior door.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    CadMad likes this.
  10. CadMad

CadMad

You know it is crazy things that pop into your head that explain the reason why we do things years later. When I was a kid our neihbours had a Ford XC stationwagon and I remembering the joy of discovering that it had a dual operational tailgate. . . .Now in my memory it both flopped down and opened from the side . . . . that part os fuzzy but it was the coolest thing I had ever seen as a 11 year old. . . . apart from Jane Capp who was a triplet who I sat beside in class.

11. AmishMike

AmishMike

Agree the hinge design is different but result is sliding door to the back along body - isn't that result wanted? Would have to come away from body enough to miss rear fenders. I figured ( ass-u-me-d ) van hinge material would provide parts needed to get-her-done.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I remember that tailgate, too. I was mesmerized by it.

I had a '34 Ford Five window Coupe that the doors swung from rear hinges. I could always tell the nerds and the unwashed by their exclamations, "Hey! Your door opened backwards!"

Now, your 'triplet distraction' opens a whole new perspective: Imagine the possibilities of first names for her siblings! ('Bottle', 'Hub', 'Nite', 'Dynamite', 'Bull'...)

13. CadMad

CadMad

It is best that I put sweet Jane (and her siblings Linda and Leslie) out of my memory or I will get nothing productive done.
    The mechanism I would build (if I go that route ), will be the Saoutchik style as per the "double gate" hinges at the top of the page. My 39 is stored away presently but I had a look on Friday and got in and out of the back imagining tbat the mechanism was there. There is enough room there to do it no doubt.
    Part of my concideration is that presently with the heavier , longer doors hung backwards, there is some hinge sag. Many of the grand coachbuilt cars withsuicide doors had 3 hinges. Now I know Why. But to emphasise the smooth look, I really want hidden hinges and doors that don't bang into the car 2 spaces away.
    ps Jane had the loveliest handwriting and crisp white ankle socks.

14. Torchie

Torchie

Focus CadMad. :)
    Knowing your skill level you would have no problem creating a hinge system like the one that you show. In fact it appears to be simpler than I thought that it would be.
    I think the double latch system would present more of a challenge.
    Torchie

15. AmishMike

AmishMike

Never mind..... Forget what I wrote about van door... May be some help there but - out to dinner in friends "mom van" & took a quick look at sliding van door. Hinge at very top, Hinge about 1/4 up from bottom, & a hinge/guide along side under van window. Don't see them very often on hot rods. Maybe a longer study would find some help but guess you stuck with "pantograph type" hinge to swing out & back while supporting weight.

16. chrisp

chrisp

In Europe busses and some trains have pantograph doors. When I did the suicide doors on my 58 Renault wagon I thought of using that system because of the tight parking spots we have over here, but I got lazy and used regular hinges I just modified the door straps to have an extra stop to hold the doors open in confined spaces.
    I would say do it, I'd love to see that on a custom.

17. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I don't know if this door has the same idea or not... 12243197_414428765423387_4943126558211774788_n.jpg

czuch likes this.
  18. That's a suicide door.

(edit: I know the car)

19. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Cool thanks!

20. CadMad

CadMad

I'm amazed at what the internet has done for research. These stills are from a movie made in 1941 featuring the Graham. rivers41embus57.jpeg rivers41embus19.jpeg

mgtstumpy and Okie Pete like this.
  21. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

This is actually a fascinating mechanism problem. It would appear to be in essence a five-link mechanism, in which two pairs of links form triangulated arms, if it is to be stable and bind-free (examples might often show a redundant sixth link.) Many combinations of link lengths and effective arm axis orientations are possible, leading to many different door motion sequences. There are all kinds of interesting possibilities for mechanisms in which the door does not remain parallel to its closed position in all or any planes through its travel. Also, a sliding element may be substituted for one of the effective arms.

22. wsdad

wsdad

pantograph - sliding door smaller.png

What if, in addition to the pantograph hinges, you also attached the door to some drawer slides - so that it could slide back along the body a little?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Okie Pete likes this.
  23. wsdad

wsdad

Or, instead of the sliding door, you could put a spring-loaded hinge on the door so that once the door opened as far as it could on the pantograph hinges, a person could then swing the door open a few more inches at the front.

Sorry, don't have time to draw this one out. I have to go to work.

Don't get me wrong. I think the pantograph hinges are cool enough by themselves. And, I don't know if what I'm suggesting is possible, a good idea, or even cool. You just got my wheels turning so I thought I'd share. Thanks for letting me build vicariously through yours until I can do it myself one day...

24. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

That sounds like the hood hinge arrangement BMWs had at one stage: the front end of the hood pops up and forwards, pulling the rear clear of securing pins and allowing it to tilt forwards without fouling on the body at the front. The principle can easily translate into doors.

As I say, the possibilities are endless.

25. wsdad

wsdad

After thinking about the sliding pantograph door a little more, I think I just duplicated a minivan door. I still like the pantograph - spring - hinge or BMW hood idea.

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

In the early 90`. the Buicks had the same concept for there hoods. They opened like the BMW`s.

X-cpe likes this.
  27. CadMad

CadMad

Nice work there. . . . and lots of extra ideas. Perhaps it is best to kiss. . . as in keep it simple , stupid. (and I'm stupid not you). The pics of the Graham during resto will serve the basis for if and when i do it. I'm absolutely flat out at work which is a good thing knowing kids just want latest gadgets for looming Christmas. The thinking and dreaming part is just as much fun as the doing phase.
    Glad that this topic has made a few friends and enemies. Hopefully over the Christmas break I'll get something happening.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Okie Pete and Ned Ludd like this.
  28. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

In my experience the thinking and dreaming part is far too much fun! With me it's so much fun that it displaces all the rest :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[QUOTE="patterg2003, The question & answer ultimately lies in your court as to whether the pantograph doors suits the character of the car. Everyone has varying viewpoints. Part of being creative is information gathering, research & seeking respectful feedback. All the best,[/QUOTE]
    I'd have to believe that is the answer you need. In the end will that style of door setup fit the build and compliment the total build?
    Now, will that help the car look like the one off coach built custom for someone with elite status and position in 49/50 when it would have been built or will it be a distraction that overpowers the rest of the car when you display it?

Daddy Deville likes this.
  30. unless he opens a door , no one will know;)