Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ceramic coating. Is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-man313, Nov 28, 2015.

1. D-man313

D-man313

Has anyone ever used aesthetic finishers in Ohio? Always see their semi at the big shows but never heard of anyone using them.

2. D-man313

D-man313

Never mind on that. Looked up their website and they don't offer very many colors. The color I want isn't available.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O Worth it ? :confused: Most definitely :cool:

4. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Dud I'm
    Jad

5. CCPcoatings.com

CCPcoatings.com

Most folks find that ceramic coating their pipes is "worth it" after a failed attempt or two of trying to paint / coat them themselves. Outside of the performance advantages it all comes down to what your time is worth and what you want your headers to look like. Or how costly were the headers and whether or not you want to protect that investment.

6. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

They do usually have very nice examples of coatings at that trailer and awesome shirts for sale. I make sure I see them at hot rod reunion the times I've been.

7. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i used por 15 high temp silver on my headers has lasted about 3yrs . i have done 4 sets of headers with a pint

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

When I bought the Limefire headers from Sanderson over 25 years ago, they had them coated by JetHot. They held up great, and the car had been in more rainstorms than I can remember. I drove the car for 17 years and then tore it down for a rebuild, and, even though the headers still looked good I wanted to have them look as fresh as the rest of the car, so I sent them back to Sanderson for recoating.

At that time, Sanderson was now coating them in house, and they stripped them and recoated them. When I asked how much I owed them, they said "You have been a good customer and have said nice things about us, so the coating is on us !" :eek: That was 8 years ago, and they still look great today. Occasionally, I take some Flitz or other metal polish and clean oil spots and grime off of them, and they clean up well.

Needless to say, when I need headers done again, guess who I will be going back to ? :D

Don

[​IMG]

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Paint. Just FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS to the letter.

10. D-man313

D-man313

Did that this most recent time. Lasted longer than the first few times but still flake and look nasty.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: Instructions will not make up for the fact that paint is inferior to ceramic coating and will never last as long.

turboroadster likes this.
  12. In my neck of the woods, if we are talking sbc block hugger style shorties,
    I would do both sides for 120 in Cerakote high temp ceramics. Thats media blasting clean, hand sanded smooth and coated.
    I also prep and coat inside and out. Dunno what anybody else charges.

13. Go back and read post #26, pay attention to the part about tune, you may just need a little more lead and a slightly bigger main jet. ;)

This is what is on those headers on the roadster by the way:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vht-sp102

or just bite the bullet and get them ceramic coated, there is a place here in town that does flat ceramic coating looks like paint, there must be a place near you as well.

14. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Model A 010.jpg Had new shiny ceramic coated headers on my engine when I fired it up the first time to break it in.
    The high temp dulled them down quite a bit and I never had them redone because they look fine to me. I'm thinking of "toning down" the alternator a bit to match.
    That was 7 years ago............worth every penny.

Also, I painted the engine with rattle-can etching primer and Krylon Banner Red.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  15. Odd, this is their stated warranty - The Jet-Hot’s coating warranty is the best in the industry. We offer a LIFETIME warranty to the original purchaser of our coating. A coating is designed to protect the underlying material from severe stress to save the part. If our coating fails to do that when properly installed, used and maintained we will recoat the part once for free.
    Maybe they were mad that you spelled their name wrong - it's Jet-Hot ;)

16. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I agree Don, and thanks for the spelling lesson;)Gary:D

17. Don
    You are freakin killin me man. LMFAO :D :D :D